WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2004, 11:07 PM
Louisiana

Hails from United States
Re: WIP: Started January 25th--->

Hi,
First of all I would like to say that this is beautiful!! My next question is what tecnique do you use to create such a smooth realistic skin texture. Once again, this is absolutly beautiful!!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2004, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanea
My next question is what tecnique do you use to create such a smooth realistic skin texture. Once again, this is absolutly beautiful!!

i was wondering the same thing. this is absolutely beautiful. great job.

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2004, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Thanks for the kind comments Lanea and Motoichi!

Skin texture- Over the years I've struggled with "believable" textures, skin especially. I used to over-blend the graphite with tissue or even my finger, the latter is a big mistake in my opinion. Anyway, I realized that no matter how tight or smooth my work appeared it didn't appear REAL. It looked too smooth giving it an artificial appearance. I then started doing a layering technique, basically drawing tiny pencil strokes in and around the tooth of the paper. I build layer upon layer to achieve a genuine depth in a piece. Not only does it appear to have substance but when you are within inches of the actual drawing you can see subtle textures and even the lightest areas of the piece are covered with light layers. I abandoned other blending methods/devices completely for a couple of years but have recently incorporated some blending to help contrast textures, this of course is done with care as not to overblend any one area. I basically want the viewer to feel that they could literally touch the drawing and it would feel like skin, hair, cotton, silk or whatever texture I'm trying to convey. That said, I'm STILL trying to improve as I won't be satisfied until I fool my own eye completely, which will probably never happen... Sorry for the long-winded response.
Here's a link to an old thread where I went over the layering method briefly. The scan is blown up to show how the piece looks up close... http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53146

Paul
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Still working on the sheets- They will be smoother with more layers.
I also finished highlighting the small patch of her hair that is barely visible. More progress scans to come.

Paul
Attached Images

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2004, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast
Greeley, Colorado

Hails from United States

Paul,
Sorry I missed this thread until today. You know I'm already a big fan of your work, but this is super. I really like the effect you got with the silk.
For someone who uses such a time consuming technique (I didn't want to use "tedious" since it has negative connotations) you certainly don't take long making progress. You must not be getting any sleep!
The only thing I see that nags is her middle finger looks a little too thick. Maybe the thumb just a tad as well. Just my opinion.

Thanks again for sharing a WIP thread, and have a great day!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2004, 02:20 PM
Enthusiast
Upstate NY, originally from Lawnguylinn NY

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: WIP: Started January 25th--->

Hi Paul, I thought I posted a comment to this one but see now I did'nt. I have been watching each update and love what you are doing...Your wife looks like a beautiful angel, what does she think so far, I bet she loves it!! I look forward to the next update!

~Linda
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2004, 02:43 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Thanks for the comments and critique Greencook! Yes, the fingers/thumb do need some attention and both the face and hand are incomplete at this point. I appreciate the pointers and I'll be sure to study my reference before it's beyond the point of no return. And yes, I often have to force myself to stop drawing or I'll stay up all night. And it doesn't help that my internal clock won't let me sleep past 7am. I don't normally get through with drawings so quickly, a couple of hours here or there a day is the norm, but I've had a lot of extra time on my hands lately and my wife got tired of me rearranging the family room every 30 minutes so I had to draw more.

Thank you Linda for your comments- Yes, my wife really likes it. I'll post more soon. By the way, I stopped by your website- Excellent work! My absolute favorite was the Halle Barry portrait, awesome contrasts in both shadow and texture!

Paul
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 04:53 AM
Resting in Peace
Cumbernauld just north of Glasgow

Hails from Scotland

Excellent wip great watching everything come together, highly commendable-------well done----------Alan
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Baton Rouge, La

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMusicFilm
Jane- First of all, thanks for the kind response. I use an inexpensive ZEBRA brand 0.5mm mechanical pencil with HB or 2B leads. I want to buy a 0.3mm pencil soon and see how I like it...

Beautiful work Paul. I have a question as to your statement about 3mm mechanical. I use .5 mostly with hb and 2b leads but have never heard of a .3mm. where would one find a .3mm, I can see where it would be an advantage in detail work. I currently sand my lead down for those fine details and it would be less expensive if I had a .3mm.
Thanks,
Robert
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Talking Re: WIP: Started January 25th--->

Thanks for the nice comments Alan and Robert, I appreciate it!

Robert- You can buy .3mm pencils at office supply places like Copelin's or Triangle A&E. It's just one of those things that I keep reminding myself that I want to buy, then forget until I'm sitting down to draw at midnight. Anyway, I have never seen them at the big chains like Office Depot or Office Max, and Hobby Lobby and Michael's don't carry them, atleast not in my area. Besides having it for tiny details, I haven't REALLY needed it. It's just one of those things that would be "neat" to try, and who knows, once I get one I may wonder how I ever lived without it- Kind of like the way I felt after getting my hands on a .5mm mechanical pencil! My only concern is possibly tearing the drawing surface, but I guess it would force me to be extra careful. Hope this helps!

Thanks again-
Paul
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 12:49 PM

Hails from United Kingdom

hi paul

this is just a stunning piece of work - i'm so enjoying watching this come together -
its a shame i can't see this 'in the flesh' so to speak - i would really like to see this piece for real - maybe when you're done you could show us a very close, close-up?
looking forward to seeing the final result - beautiful
- think i'll join jayD for that nap now!! - oops not literally you understand

-tracy
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 12:51 PM
Clearwater, FL

Hails from United States

Paul,
fantastic rendering!
Quite rare perspective
And excelent play of light and darks.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Thank you so much Tracy and Marta!

Tracy- I am sure I am not the only person who has struggled with trying to get a piece of art to scan well. That said, I tried to capture a close up of an area of the hand to show some detail, it looks much tighter in person as this is an enlarged scan. This is of course, unfinished.

Paul
Attached Images

Last edited by ArtMusicFilm : 01-29-2004 at 04:18 PM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 03:50 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

that is incredible detail--please don't tell me you're drawing in the fingerprints as well. Amazing.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Talking Re: WIP: Started January 25th--->

Thanks JayD! Well, unfortunately my wife was born with fingerprints so I decided, what the heck, I'll draw them. I spent a long while this morning working on the hand's texturing, this is where the real hours are spent. My main goal is to give the illusion of prints, wrinkles etc, by using the tooth of the paper and highlighting important peaks and creases. Drawing each individual "print" line by line may be impressive from a detail perspective but it doesn't lend itself to lifelike realism in my opinion.
Greencook had commented on how quickly this piece had come together which is true and untrue at the same time. While I have had a lot of extra time (which ends tomorrow-NOT HAPPY), only the main values have been rendered. But because of the scaling down process to make the drawing "fit" in this forum, it appears more complete than it actually is. So now I'm down to my favorite and least favorite part of the drawing... The textures and detail work.
Thanks again for looking-

Paul