Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing How do you build an art rack?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    CSForest

My “studio” (the guest bedroom) is getting tight on space. Right now canvases are leaning against each other taking up most of the small closet. This is fine when the canvas is blank or dry but since I’ve been doing more painting recently I’m starting to accumulate more works-in-progress, which means wet canvases that can’t be leaning against each other. That’s just no room for canvases scattered about this room. Something like a Safco Art Rack would be great but they are so expensive. I really can’t afford nearly $1,000 for amounts to a plain box with some dividers in it. It can’t be that hard to make something myself using some wood from Home Depot, can it? Does anyone know of some “do-it-yourself” instructions for building a rack? Unfortunately, I don’t have any nice tools, just a hand saw, hammer, and nails, so it can’t be anything that involves fancy wood-working. It doesn’t have to be fancy. Cheap wood I can paint is fine. But I’m not sure what kind of woods to use (will plywood warp, for example?) or quite how to put it together for sturdiness. Any suggestions?

Crista Forest
        My Animal Art Sites
        [/COLOR] -- My Animal Art Gifts -- My Art Prints Page

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

MyJoey

I don’t know the answer, but wanted to pipe up and say I’ve been thinking of building my own rack too. The plans I’ve drawn up use hardwood for the oustide and dowels for the dividers, so more air can circulate.

Would love to see anyone elses plans.
            B.

LJC7757

Dick Blick has this…but I’m going to take an old TV cart, drill holes and then bend thick wire to make it something like this.

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.[/I][/B]
                [/COLOR]Pablo Picasso

http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/lori-jacobuscrawford.html

I use sideloading cardboard boxes from Uline, stacked on top of each other.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]victoriachampion.com[/URL] blog zazzle[/COLOR][FONT=Trebuchet MS] twitter
                [/COLOR]

dreamz

Sort of following LJC’s suggestion, one of the inexpensive book shelves but replace the shelves with either dowels or stiff wire. For more depth you can leave off the back but you’ll need to add strips across the top/bottom and middle for support

C&C welcome and encouraged
                    it's only paint...have fun with it
                    Webshots - Images of dreamz creations

gnu

I am trying to hunt for some magazine type racks to convert…so just one level, and enough for only 2-3 canvasses. also another idea is if your easel has a two leg support out the back, to attach a piece of wood across, to support a painting drying.

Old Baldy

I had recently build a 3’X3′ box shaped rack with masonite dividers. It’s nice and solid and has wheels. but I can’s see the paintings. I often work on up to 6 or 8 paintings at a time—–some wait for drying, others wait for ideas to materialize. Some get forgotten. Wire supports or dowels as dividers in an open rack seem a good solution. I’ll put on my “McGiver” hat and see what happens. Thanks for the idea.

[FONT=Arial]"Today we are no longer what we were yesterday, and not yet what we will be tomorrow."
                            Dancing Bird

Art Storage Rack for storing Art.

Art Boards™ makes an Art Storage System that is
                                for storing any size artwork. It is modular,
                                expandable, adjustable, and on wheels.
                                Paintings can be stored in it wet or dry.

You can see it at the art-boards web site.
                                Their phone number is 800 546 7985

wsrea

I sympathize. Who wants to spend beaucoup bucks on storage instead of on canvas, paints, brushes, etc. (Or food, rent, shoes for children, etc)

First, you’re an artist, so think outside the box. Why must the storage center be wood? What about PVC piping?

PVC
                                    1) is moderately rigid
                                    2) easily available at any DIY center like lowes or home depot
                                    3) has right angles and three-D joiners
                                    4) is easily worked
                                    5) is cheap
                                    6) is light–no wheels needed–you just drag it!
                                    7) is easily drilled through and if you don’t have a drill, wop it with a hammer and nail to make the hole, and
                                    8) you can stretch nylon fishing cord between said drilled holes…

Okay. I’m a PVC fanatic. I’ve used it to build boy and girl scout shelters, doghouses, spray tents for fuming antique oak, sandblasting enclosures, etc.

The point is… forget an individual commercial product: they’re expensive. See what function it achieves, and do it on your own, cheaper!

If you want specific advice, contact me at [email][email protected][/email]

ABOVE ALL: don’t let your storage problems divert you from producing your art!

Bill

Bill

Comments and critiques are invited

wsrea

Oh, and I have to mention–

I love the lost edges on your bobcat painting on your website under “cats”. Very cool!:clap: Bill

Bill

Comments and critiques are invited

Merlion

Wsrea, I am familiar with pvc piping, and I agree such racks can be made from this. Still this requires quite a bit of thinking and trial and error to make.

Show us a sketch of how this can be done.

theMirrorpool

You could use a bunch of the T shaped pvc joints and make a ‘ladder’ that would hold a fair amount of work.
                                                _______
                                                |——–|
                                                |——–|
                                                |——–|
                                                |——–|
                                                |——–|
                                                ———–

Or vertical – something like a stack of upside-down T’s?

| | | | |
                                                | | | | |
                                                | | | | |
                                                ————–

www.RavenbotStudio.com - Original Printmaking
                                                www.theMirrorpool.com - PhotoBlog and More

chewie

old hollow core doors and cinder blocks or bricks–cheapest shelving ever. the doors can often be found at the dump, same for the bricks/blocks. old paint cans, anything.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]A rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least.
                                                    --- "Interview with God" (author unknown)
                                                    ]

Use Her Name

My SOP is to hammer some nails into the walls around the house (high) and just hang the paintings till they are dry. If you screw in eyebolts, and wires you can hang them like normal pictures. A wall, ceiling to floor can hold an awful lot of paintings, and the result is like one of those old art atliers. It also gives me a chance to detach myself from them and give them another look a bit later.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Bluefly

I am trying to hunt for some magazine type racks to convert…so just one level, and enough for only 2-3 canvasses. also another idea is if your easel has a two leg support out the back, to attach a piece of wood across, to support a painting drying.

Here is a link to IKEA they have very cheap 10$ nice magazine racks. this one may work. Also try pan lid holders, they are like 2$ may not be big enough.
                                                            http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20118174

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.