Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

I’m not really happy with this attempt at using pastels. I couldn’t get the detail I could with coloured pencils. I’ll try again with those.

Penny
    I live in Wiltshire, England
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Penny, it takes a while to come to terms with pastels but you have have done well. I particularly like the eye. It ‘lives’. I also prefer CP’s. It is worth taking a look at the pastels forum. There are some good tips there.

Chammi
    My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

Thanks, Chammi. I will do that. I’ve posted it in the pastel forum, too.

Penny
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Triduana

I find pastels difficult too. It’s a nice portrait, you’ve managed to get some good detail. I like the shine on the nose. :)

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

Thanks, Kay! I expect it’s practise that’s needed!

Penny

kentiessen

I like your drawing and color/value direction! The surface looks pretty textured- you may have a better result on a fine-tooth sanded paper (UArt 500-600?) will respond really well to a technique more like colored pencils. My pastel work may be more like painting, but it does have occasional fine details.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
            Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

Thank you, Ken. Yes, I think I will be happier with a sanded paper and will look at getting some Uart. Thanks for the advice. I’ve used coloured pencils on a sanded paper and that gave a pastel-like finish, so will see how I go with actual pastels on it.

Penny

kentiessen

Good! Pastel may give you more possibilities for changes, removal, softening, and color. I am always surprised by what it can accomplish! Get a sample pack if available with a variety of grits to see what works best for you.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

Craig Husband

I’m also new to pastels, in fact I’m halfway through my first attempt. I’ve been using pastel mat paper which has excellent fine tooth for layers and thin, detailed lines. I’ve found I need to build up a few layers to fill up the tooth, and with each layer I can add finer and finer detail. Here’s the link https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1440165
                    Hope this helps

Craig

| CJH Wildlife Art |
                    Instagram

| www.cjhwildlifeart.co.uk |

Thanks, Ken. I will do that.

Thanks for the link, Craig. I will take a look.

Penny

Excellent leopard, Craig. Did you finish it?

Penny

Craig Husband

It’s still a working progress at the moment. Hoping to get back to it in the next week

Craig

| CJH Wildlife Art |
                        Instagram

| www.cjhwildlifeart.co.uk |

Ok. 👍

Penny

fedetony

good start… Texture of the paper is noticeable, just a matter of taste but yet you may prefer a non textures surface for you to achieve higher detail and realism.
                            :)

Federico Garcia
                            My Blog
                            C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

I don’t like the texture, Federico. Will Pastel stay on a smoother paper? I do like a sanded paper, and want to get some Uart 800, but don’t know about smooth ones for pastels.

Penny

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.