WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2016, 08:49 PM

Needing Help Bead Making

Hi everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to look at my post. I am new this this form of art. I have done a lot of reading and testing and practicing and I'm having difficult time making donut and round beads. I notice now (after 4 Map Tanks) that when I initially touch the glass to the mandrell and start twirling that most of the glass ends up on 3/4 of the mandrell and 1/4 is very skinny. Im always trying to fill that up. But it never works.

I have tried to melt more glass, but the same thing happens. Even if i make a tiny bead to start with it happens. Im really trying to get over this first hump but its a tough one, so it seems. Any input would be so appreciated and yes I have been over to 101.

Also does anyone know where I can post "My first stupid burn"?

Thanks again...back to the torch.
seagarden a former soap & candle Maker
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2016, 06:19 AM
Pembrokeshire, West Wales, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Needing Help Bead Making

Hi. It all comes down to practice, and you will get the hang of it, I'm sure. Basically, put down a 'footprint' of glass where you want to make your bead, and allow that to solidify just a little. Then, add more glass where you want it, and you'll find that you have a nice stable base and stuff will love around a lot less.

Does that help/ make sense?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2016, 02:33 PM
Enthusiast
Cannington, Ontario Canada

Hails from Canada

Try using a thicker mandrel - then try winding a thin footprint of glass over and over so its like a mini disc - two to three times - then melt - and that will give you a base till you get used to it - I had this happen to me when I first started - sharp edges and wonky less than round beads - but as previously said - practice practice practice and you will eventually get it

http://www.deborahread.com

Canada ! Home Sweet Home!

"We can do no great things ------only small things with great love." -Mother Teresa
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2016, 02:39 PM
Pembrokeshire, West Wales, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

and remember to keep the mandrel level; tipping it to one side will give you a wonky bead (I remember doing that when I started!).
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2016, 05:56 PM

Thank you all for your tips and suggestions. Its now been a month and I can finally make a donut and round bead. Not all the time but most times. I have a bad habit of not keeping the mandrel straight when I twirl glass on it, something I am trying to break out of. I have been practicing a lot and that's all I can do until I get a Kiln (soon I hope).

My good beads I keep in a special bowl to see how far I have come however I can't wait to start making jewelry with them once I get a kiln.

To all of you who walked this path long before I came, I thank you for your sharing and caring.

Warmest Regards
Debra