WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2009, 06:57 PM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada
Re: show update!

Rod...even now you're helping out...thank you for putting some names to faces! You're the best!

So glad you all have had a fantastic time!

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

We just got home after being deported! The *******s even searched our car on the Canadian side....probably heard I got deported from a narc on WC! Aight..who dunnit! I will post some photos after I figure out the best way to do it for massive amounts of photos. I will probably put them on photobucket and put a few select ones here. Any suggestions?
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2009, 07:59 PM

Hails from United States

Well, I can only add one photo to the forum... amazingly I didn't take any pics with my iphone. I guess I was too busy dodging cameras during the workshop.

This photo is a nice "deer in the headlights" shot of Ace.

I left the party early...avoiding the problems of posting bail.

I just want to say that it has been great working with everyone, and I truly look forward to doing more so in the future. I will be getting images ready for Elaine, and at the same time each artist. I will get discs out to everyone in a week or so.

Thank you all...

The artists that came Saturday to my Heartland Studio, you all were so gracious and fun!!

Rodman & TC...thank you soooo much for the art!!
http://heartlandprintworks.com/
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2009, 08:54 PM

Hello to All you Scratchboard enthusiasts!

On behalf of Ampersand I want to thank you all for honoring not just our company by your incredible work but also for elevating the medium of scratchboard to Fine Art. The show was truly incredible and I feel so humbled to know each of you who I met and to see all the great work that made this show such a huge success. Thank you Rod-man and Cathy for contacting us and letting us share in a bit of your glory. I can't tell you how honored Charles "charlie" Ewing was by your work and your enthusiasm. I am looking forward to continuing our relationship and our mission together to show the world the FINE ART of scratchboard. You are all awesome!

Thanks so much,

Elaine Salazar

(note: this is the first time I've ever posted to WC so bear with me if this doesn't come through ok - I'm a novice at this!)
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Elaine it was an honor to meet you this weekend. I hope that you continue to pop in here and take a look around. Thank you for everything!!

#36   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Uruguay

There ARE pix of Mary coming. Aces Cathy and I went to the Indy zoo today. Aces headed home. Diana is back in CA. Cathy and I are headed to Turkey Run State Park tomorrow morning. It was a treat and a lesson in photography watching her work in her other passion. I think I spent as much time watching her as I did looking at the animals (maybe I had seen all the animals I could stand!) its 7 30 and we have decided to try to catch up on some lost sleep. Honestly. We were going to drive into town and post pix. In the I'm the cluster of mess. I have misplaced my cord to download pix. Cathy didn't bring one. I can't wait to post about everything. I can't wait to see the pix others took. I received a gift at the end of the workshop. I havnt even opened it yet. I want to wait until everyone is home safe (not to mention. The severe Man Card risk of not being able to swallow the lump in my neck. Like I barely was able to do when you all have it to me ) I would love to tell you ALL how much it means to me that you took this chance. Trusting me with your wonderful beloved fine art. We had a time! The art looked great. The gallery looked great. The weather was great. The turn out was amazing! People were waiting outside for people to come out so they could fit in! Steve was playing his beautiful jazz guitar and was looking "oh so sharp" the crowd was floored by the show. People told me that they had went home and got other people and came back. The owner of the gallery came out and told me he was VERY proud to have this show. Casey did a great job hanging it. The Artist were busy talking to the viewers. They worked the crowd well. They ran out of wine. Even with Rick bringing extra. The $1 beer was being consumed At a brisk pace. I think only 2 pieces sold Friday night. Congratulations Boardlady and garbonzo. I honestly look for more sales. All those people who were there are going to be back with more people I'm sure. When they herded the crowd out St the end of the night. People were still trying to get in. Elaine from Ampersand was delited by everything and everyone. She is so personable! Charles Ewing was a GREAT guest. Humble comfortable easy to talk to. He laughed easy. About everything you could ask for in a person. A true gentleman! Elaine odderf to take us all for a late supper. Pow-wow. 19 of us marched across the street. Our friend Mary recommended the place. When waked in. People noticed us that had been to the show. They told the waitress that he wanted to buy our first round! 19X$6? He must have been pretty impressed! We sat and talked. Ok. We consumed a few "CAB,s" (cool adult beverages) I think all of us were blown away with IndiAnapolis received this show. there is so much more to tell. I'm going to bed. More after I've rested. I'm honored to have been a part of this. Thank you one and ALL. Rod-Man
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Lord of the Arts
Vibank SK CANADA

Hails from Canada

Elaine, thank you and Charles for a great product. The first time I tried scratchboard it just "clicked" and Ampersand makes the best scratchboard, hands down.

Congratulations everyone, sounds like it was an amazing weekend. Thanks to everyone, too, but especially Rod-man, who gets to keep his man card, for now at least.

- Tania

Last edited by tanianault : 03-08-2009 at 09:41 PM.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cincinnati, Ohio

Hails from United States

Elaine, thanks so much for attending the show and workshop and being so supportive. It was a delight to meet you! I was one who hadn't used Ampersand boards before this weekend (not that I've done that many scratchboards) but with what I learned at the workshop, I've already started using them today. I bet there will also be some new users from the samples you were passing out at the show as it's addictive.

Rich
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Enthusiast
San Antonio, Texas

Hails from United States

OMG! OMG! Thank you Rod-Man for all that you have done. TC, Mary, Casey, and everybody else that made this happen for all of us - THANK YOU!

Elaine: I ditto what Rich says. Thank you.

Now I have go out & do the Happy Dance and the Texas Two-Step.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Southfield, Michigan

Hails from United States

Ok . .. back from auction.

Tired as h*ll. But I have to post what I saw from show. I mean there's not much else that I could say that already hasn't been said . . . but here goes . .

Wifey and I got a very late start on the 5 hour drive to Indianapolis. The show started at 5 . . . we got off of the hi-way at 4. So we were in a rush! When I initially found out about the show I called the Gallery to get suggestions on where to stay and Casey recommended the Nestle Inn. It's a bed and breakfast literally 30 yards down from the gallery. I would recommend that place to anyone!!!! Ugh . .did not wanna leave that joint! http://www.nestleindy.com/

ok . . the show! So after rushing to check in we walked over to the show/gallery. As soon as we walked in . .. i mean IMMEDIATELY to the left of the door was Rod's Mech Fish and over to the right on the same freakin' wall was Cathy' s wolf NEXT to one of Diana's . . . OMG!!!!! I think my knees went week and I heard my wife squeal . . .I was squeezing the hell out of her hand! Sorry baby. Within 2 seconds of walking through the front doors, which were propped wide for all to stop in, IT WAS COMPLETE OVERLOAD!!!! I had to catch my breath. As soon as I went to look at Rod's fish (why does that sound so dirty?) I heard "Be careful..I hear that artist is very sensitive about his work" It was Rod! And I think from there the next 24 hours were a blur!!!

The Artwork was AMAZING!! I mean AMAZING!!!!! I know there's a bias on my part, but I had never seen so many people so engaged and curious about the artwork hanging at a showing! The curiosity and energy from the crowd which become shoulder to shoulder, was tangible. That crowd was NOT there because of the beer and wine . . that crowd was engaged and entertained. Guys..your show and work ROCKED!! Like smash the guitar on stage or light that b*tch on fire to end the show kind of rocked! Literally a line outside, people lined up to ask questions about the art, and people looking threw the windows after casey was finally able to get the doors shut!

And guys . . . I spoke to no less than 5 folks that were fellow artists of various mediums who all stressed 2 things . . . The Dean Johnson Gallery is a premeire gallery to be in . .and that Rod is a rising start in the art scene!

And I see why. For the rest of my days I will be forever thankful for Rod in what he pulled off and the heart and soul he put into this. He is genuinely..GENUINELY one of the good guys.

Elaine. Wow. Like Rod you have gone above and beyond. To watch you walk around like an investigative reporter asking questions and seeking suggestions was amazing. As an artist sometimes it feels like companies don't get you or don't care because u have to come to them for the supplies. No . . with Elaine, there heart and soul and understanding and a feeling of a sense of a partnership. Thank you so much Elaine

Charlie. One hell of a gentleman. So talented. So sharing. So brillinat. I will be telling my kids for a long time about the evening I spent eating good italian food and listening to Charlie tell why he invented claybord. And also about how Rod man gave us his interpretation of the "Moon Walk" . . .Hint ...it involves his pants being down around his ankles. LOL

Mary. Humble humble humble . .and soooooo sharing! Thank you for all that you did. Although u will downplay it..thank u! U will be seeing a loooot more of me now. Sorry . . .that wasnt suppose to sound like a threat

as far as the other artist? LOL...I'm sure more details will start to trickle out..but I will say what my wife said . . .It felt like a family reunion . . . where you get along with all your relatives and get saddened that you each have to go back your own ways eventually.

man . .tired . .gotta crash . .. share more later. I really really really really regret some of our friends above the border and those on the other side of the equator couldn't make it. You guys were thoroughly missed. in all sincerity . .
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
In Ville-billy Land!

Hails from United States

Hey Man it was a real PLEASURE meeting you and your Wife!!!

The Kitten was wondering what she was gonna do being all alone as a Non Artist wheel. She felt so much more at ease when she met your Better half.

Heck all the "Better halfs" and the "Daughter" were wonderful folks and GREAT to spend time with!!!!!
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
In Ville-billy Land!

Hails from United States

Hey that's COOL!!!

Elaine.....Welcome to the Itchiest Place @ the WC, heck on all of the Internet!!!!!

It was the biggest pleasure of my weekend meeting you and chatting about the boards. I really LOVED hearing about the process of creating the product!!!!

I'm a nut for that kind of stuff and it was huge bonus!!!!

I'll be storing ALL the info that I heard from you and Charlie in the Brain Vault!
Really Priceless stuff, & I can't begin to thank you two enough.

I have something that I'd like to send you. Could you shoot me an Addy where I can mail it to?
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2009, 11:53 PM
A Local Legend
Metamora, Illinois

Hails from United States

Oh my GOD. Where do I start? I just got home at 9:30 (it's Sunday......Right?) and I am currently trying to recover from the biggest artistic hangover!!!!!!! I've spent the last three hours in my car driving home from Indy trying to think of how I can explain what exactly happened this weekend.
I'll start at the begining........
I pulled up at the gallery, parked my car, gazed upon the gallery, and was in shock. The building was beautiful, on the corner was a huge black banner with the show name. I then realized that..... I wasn't breathing
I literaly started shaking. Realizing that, I needed to A: take a breath or I was gonna pass out, B: Get my butt in the door!!!!
I walked in and there's this guy standing at the front desk reception area, I recognized him instantly and stuck my hand out for a handshake. Somehow I was able to vocalize my name and he instantly lit up and welcomed me. That's when my life changed....it was Rod-Man
Within seconds I had my name badge on, great Idea by the way cause I had to look at it several times that night so I could introduce myself....yeah...I WAS THAT NERVOUS!!!!!!!
Well from that moment on....I was no longer in reality...I was in what I will forever call "My Happy Place" Yeah...I said it Happy Place! Somehow this weekend my man-card was taken from me....i don't know how or why....
but it was.....and I'm OK with that
I instantly started looking at the works....To the other members who could not attend.....I had a moment of silence in your honor....It was that amazing.
I looked and looked and looked...
Then I remembered.....hey....there's people here!!!!!
I look around and start looking for nametags....HOLY SMOKES.....
There stood Harold......and then...no freaking way that's Cathy.....Oh my God that's Diana..........at that point.......
my mind turned to goo.

And that's where I'm going to stop....cause....I gotta get to sleep so I can wake up my little Princess and take her to school (got to sleep at 3:45am sat morning....got to sleep sat night at......... What time was it Greg....Rod....... )

I will continue this in the AM....That is if you all want to hear more

All I can say is My Life Will Never Be The Same.....
Dang you Harold for getting me into this
Rod-Man....I will forever be in your debt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will download my pics in the morning..........
and Mary......Miss iPhone Mary.......Miss iPhone Mary with a camera.......
I will be posting some of my favorites of you

Rod.....You Are The Man

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Lord of the Arts
In Ville-billy Land!

Hails from United States

Quote:
Somehow this weekend my man-card was taken from me....i don't know how or why....

Bwahahahaahaha

Well IF you have it Tattooed on ya somewhere.....Don't ask a female where you should put it!!!!

Allan you one VERY COOL DUDE!!!!

Just as funny OFF board too!!!!!

I'm really glad ya made it
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2009, 12:20 AM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Elaine...how I wish I had been there to meet you! I have to say Ampersand is the ONLY scratchboard as far as I'm concerned, right from my first board. I've had to fight with supply stores to carry it and now I order only from Blick's just to make sure I have a supply on hand always.

Rod...I've been pushing for scratchboard to be viewed as FINE ART for a long time and knew your idea for a show was a good if not great one...well as it turned out, it was so much better than great...you've put us on the map, so to speak. I am so grateful for all your hard work I can't begin to tell you. Thankyou from the bottom of my heart!

Thank you Rod, Mychael and Allan for your detailed accounts...they were wonderful and fun to read! Hopefully there will be a next time and you can bet I'll be there come h*ll or high water!!

Mary...many many thanks to you as well...I'm looking forward to recieving my prints and cds!

Thank you everyone for the great pictures!!

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.