WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2005, 01:02 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Philippines
Is it possible to Paint in Illustrator?

I recently acquired "Illustrator CS" and am loving the pen/brush tools in combination, (the darker lines and facial shadows here were applied in PS7) but I'm wondering is it possible to paint in this program or is it strictly for vector kind of art?

Here's a doodle from my imagination. The mouth is crooked on purpose...

If anyone has any answers or better yet links, could you post them? Thanks in advance.

Bobby
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2005, 01:24 PM
A Local Legend
Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Is it possible to Paint in Illustrator?

Nice doodle..........sorry I have no idea about Illustrator....
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2005, 03:19 AM
Enthusiast
pakistan-karachi.

Hails from Pakistan

hi baquitania, i like the initial sketch u did. yes, u can surely paint in illustrator, u can fill in the color in shapes and for an interesting light n dark shades u can go ahead with the Mesh tool. mesh tool is a realy good tool. if u have just acquired the software, spend some time on it, do more practices, experiments, just to learn more about the software. ull be learning a lot new stuff everyday..all the best....
www.waheednasir.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2005, 09:47 AM
A Local Legend
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Hi, Baquitania! Can you paint in Illustrator? Why would you want to? It's terrific for vectoring, but why not take your great sketch into Painter (Photo Shop, PSP, or whatever)?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Enthusiast
pakistan-karachi.

Hails from Pakistan

an image completely done in illustrator has a very different and amazing look all together. not only it has vector lines, but the look and feel of the colors done in illustrator is very different. it has that toon shading kind of a look. illustrator vector based not only for lines alone.

www.waheednasir.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2005, 10:52 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by baquitania
I recently acquired "Illustrator CS" and... I'm wondering is it possible to paint in this program or is it strictly for vector kind of art?
Hi Bobby, this depends on what you mean by 'paint' really

You can get various 'painterly' effects in Illustrator now but I certaily would not recommend you try - it's far more efficient to use raster software to create anything like a painted effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waheednasir
an image completely done in illustrator has a very different and amazing look all together... it has that toon shading kind of a look. illustrator vector based not only for lines alone.
You seem to b disagreeing with your first post here! Because of the new transparency effects and the gradient mesh Illustrator work no longer has to have this sort of look. You can (if one is crazy enough to try!) create photo-real images from photographic references now in pure vector artwork.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2005, 06:04 AM
Enthusiast
pakistan-karachi.

Hails from Pakistan

einion says:

You seem to b disagreeing with your first post here! Because of the new transparency effects and the gradient mesh Illustrator work no longer has to have this sort of look. You can (if one is crazy enough to try!) create photo-real images from photographic references now in pure vector artwork.

i didnt mean that u cant get realistic results, i have done realistic work in illustrator a lot and long time back and that too without using references from outside. i dont have to try... i just meant that u can have other interesting effects as well. and realistic results is not the only goal now a days, its all about one's requirement. i wouldnt suggest that one should leave illustrator, coz other software's do other stuff, but they are not at all a substitute. at times, as per the requirements, in a professional world, what illustrator can produce is the only thing that works. and there, people only prefer illustrator, nothing else. but if u are just working for fun and for your ownself to make nice paintings to look at, then u can use whatever u want to. what i wrote is something else.... i dont disagree with my first post, its just about getting the point here. plus i didnt want to discourage anyone, if that person likes to do certain things in his/her preferred software that he/she has just aquired with such an interest. i didnt want him/her to realise that it was not a good buy. illustrator is a very professional software, used in highend professional areas.
i hope this doesnt create further confusions. i just wrote what i think. people can disagree with it and ignore it....

be happy.
www.waheednasir.com

Last edited by waheednasir : 10-23-2005 at 06:06 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2005, 12:04 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Quote:
i hope this doesnt create further confusions. i just wrote what i think. people can disagree with it and ignore it....
Because the two opinions were from one person and appear to be saying opposite things about the same software I just wanted to highlight it

Quote:
not only it has vector lines... it has that toon shading kind of a look.
These two statements are not an accurate reflection of what Illustrator is capable of now. It does describe traditional Illustrator technique pretty accurately of course, my own work is actually much like this (see my sig and avatar) but there is work done by other people with no lines and no 'toon' colouring, that you can't in fact tell was done in Illustrator.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast
pakistan-karachi.

Hails from Pakistan

einion wrote:
there is work done by other people with no lines and no 'toon' colouring, that you can't in fact tell was done in Illustrator.

lol...i dont get it..i just dont understand what are u trying to prove here. now this is an entirely different remark that has nothing to do with whatever was going on..there is definately something else here. how can one imply such a remark on someone. im talking about the above lines of yours that ive quoted. u made me laugh. if YOU cant figure out the software behind any image, doesnt mean no one cant. people out there are quite professional and understand things.

i never ever said that illustrator cant do this or cant do that, i was favoring the software. pls scrol up and read. and all i wrote was just to describe 2 ways out of so many that illustrator offers. i know what it can do. but the goal here is to explain stuff to the person who started this thread. illustrator can do much much more than just lines or produce toon effect. i only said that toon effect is great. i didnt say toon effect is the only thing that illustrator gives.

i was actually encouraging the person who has just acquired illustrator, that he can do anything that he wants to in this software that he has just bought with so much interest and he must go ahead with it. i think we are here to encourage others rather than discourage them and making them switch from the software that they like to work in.

i think we all are busy people. and instead of all this, we must put our energy and time on something creative.

this is my last post in this thread. i dont want things to get bad. all the best to everyone.....
www.waheednasir.com

Last edited by waheednasir : 10-23-2005 at 02:37 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2005, 12:21 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Perhaps there is a language problem here Waheed? You're reading too much into this. Please reread my first comment, I used a smiley, it was not intended as an attack regardless of how you read it.

Quote:
lol...i dont get it..i just dont understand what are u trying to prove here.
I can see that but I'm not trying to 'prove' anything other than what I've said about what Illustrator is capable of.

Quote:
there is definately something else here.
No there is not.

Quote:
if YOU cant figure out the software behind any image, doesnt mean no one cant. people out there are quite professional and understand things.
Thanks so much for the implication - you've only be a member for a relatively short time so please don't make insinuations about the level of other members without knowledge one way or the other! I've used Illustrator for longer than you I assure you.

Back to the point, I can post links to a dozen pieces and none of us would be able to tell what software was used to create any of them; some Illustrator work does have a sort of 'toon' shading and uses linework as a strong element just as you said - mine does - other work doesn't, and does not have a "very different" "look and feel" either. And at the extreme end with photo-real imagery it is impossible to judge how they were created of course, digitally or otherwise, from a small image at least.

On a related point, it may interest people that my earlier vector portraits, which you can find one or two of here if you check, were recreations of the style of Patrick Nagel and it's particularly relevant to this discussion how he made his originals

Einion

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Enthusiast
pakistan-karachi.

Hails from Pakistan

okay..i wanted and decided to finish this thing in my last post. but your last post made me write this.

einion wrote (last):
Thanks so much for the implication - you've only be a member for a relatively short time so please don't make insinuations about the level of other members without knowledge one way or the other! I've used Illustrator for longer than you I assure you.

ok.

now read this and see, who implyed comments first, by using the word "you"

einion wrote (before my last post):
there is work done by other people with no lines and no 'toon' colouring, that you can't in fact tell was done in Illustrator.

now, its all there and clear that who implied things first on whom. now u are saying that i made insinuations? u used the word "You", first, not me. u implied first without knowing the level of the other person and thats me. after that when i got surprised on that and wrote back what u wrote on me first, then now u are saying that i shoudnt imply things on others?. this means, that me as a new member cant do that, but u can. its not fair at all. wrong is wrong no matter who does that. one has to be fair and have justice.

and now i see that in your last post u wrote, "I can post links to a dozen pieces and none of us would be able to tell what software was used to create any of them".

this is fine. cause now i read words " none of us would be able". this is the rite way, but you didnt write like this before.

pls see my smilies as well that i used.

i didnt mean to complicate things at all, when i replied to the person who started the thread. i come at wetcanvas.com, i post my work, i give feed back on others, never ever have written anything that makes someone upset. i think other members would agree. i always share my knowledge here, and learn from other people's work. moderator, joel knows about all this. i respect others and always talk to the point. nothing more.

its a sad situation, that im writting all this. never ever thought that one day ill be doing this.

good bye.
www.waheednasir.com
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2005, 03:16 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Waheed, given that you read my PM before replying it would have been more appropriate for you to respond that way rather than post this here. As I suspected, we're having a problem primarily due to you misreading something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einion
...but there is work done by other people with no lines and no 'toon' colouring, that you can't in fact tell was done in Illustrator.
In this sentence it should have been clear I was not referring to you specifically, this is just an idiomatic way of saying "one can't tell". Had I meant you I would have said something like "you couldn't tell", which would make it clear that I was referring to the person I was addressing, not the general 'you'.

Quote:
wrong is wrong no matter who does that.
Exactly. That works in the other direction too!

Einion

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2005, 12:07 AM
Monterrey, N.L. México

Hails from Mexico

This quality of vectorial illustrations is what the Chinese are doing now with Adobe Illustrator, is really incredible what they are obtaining.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/highside/gallery.htm