Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Cherry Cheer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    love2banter

I discovered a new medium…colored pencils!
        This particular study was done with Farber-Castell Polychromos on Strathmore.

TDean3737

I love your highlights. What blending method did you use?

KarenESP

Definately achieved the 3D look and good color saturation

love2banter

Thanks, TDean …. I didn’t use any blending method. Just tons of layers and pressure on the pencil. This is my first CP and I am just now researching blending.

Thank you, Karen!

frida

Gorgeous, juicy cherry!!! And your first one, nevertheless? :clap:

You are using my favourite blending method…! Once you persist using CP by itself you find a very satisfactory way to blend with them before resorting to solvents (my experience).

What kind of Strathmore did you use? I like the 500 Series 2-ply Vellum. Found it too “toothy” at the beginning, but eventually found my way around using the texture to my advantage.

I have had a whole box of 120 Polychromos for a few years, just coming to the conclusion that it doesn’t stay on my paper because I don’t use enough pressure. You’ve inspired me. I’ll be following your work with great interest! :wave:

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

love2banter

Thank you so much, Frida.

Yes, it’s the same Strathmore you use. At first, I questioned why you would use a paper with tooth, but now I realize that it is for the look of “depth” when you layer.
                            I think eventually when you work long enough, it begins to flatten. But, that’s just an observation. :wave:

frida

So far Prismacolor CPs are the pencils I use most, and there are parts of my drawings where I burnish, especially around highlights, but there are some Prismas that are quite soft, and I find I can modify the colour with them, as to warm or cool it, and therefore give the colour more complexity. Apart from the pencils themselves I use the colorless. And I have seen yet what “wax bloom” is!!!

On botanical work, I was using a first coat of Derwent Studios, smudging them to cover the paper grain as a layer of watercolour would. Then I’d enhance with the rich Prismas, and refine the edges with Verithin.

By now I’ve found that those Derwents fade a lot, so I am determined to use my Polychromos as a base. Many say that any pencil brand can be used over any other, but my logic doesn’t accept that a hard/er pencil (e.g. oil based Polychromos) would in time be efficient OVER a layer of waxy, soft Prismacolors…

Something I experienced is that the Prisma colorless goes over hard/er and soft quite well, though, amalgamating them in the layer.

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

Pingpongfan

Your cherry is beautiful. Like glass. Maybe a glass object will be your next challenge?? I look forward to seeing whatever you choose to draw.
                                    Vena

libra

beautiful cherry, looks taut and crisp!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Joan
                                        KaySilver

Lovely cherry! The delicate yellow glowing through the red looks beautiful, and very realistic. I’m with Raquel – no solvents for me, just pure layering.

ocmd123

Excellent first run! What are your other mediums?

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                                                Instagram

Save

frida

I want to see more Love!!! :wave:

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

Dcam
                                                        Jon

Lovely sheen!

Skappy

Lovely well done

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.