Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Help How to level textured vertical paintings?

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Rich.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    AllisonR

Haven’t posted here in forever because I rarely use acrylics anymore, though they are a super fun medium, great for experimenting.

I have a bunch of very textural surfaces painted in acrylics. They are bumpy because of the layer of bumpy fiberglass on the wall. Additionally some of the strokes I made thick when applying the acrylic paint, so it looks rough.

The problem is I need the wall to now be as smooth as possible because I need to rub some text onto the walls. With all the bumps the text can not rub off correctly. How do I get these walls smooth?

1. They are on a vertical wall, so I can not lay them flat to then pour on medium to level the paint. Since vertical, medium would just roll down to the floor.

2. I tried sanding them thinner, but it just sands the paint back to the white of the wall and looks terrible.

3. I tried 2 layers of gloss medium and on another one 2 layers of extra heavy gel semi gloss. It helped, but not much.

How do I fix this? Here is a pic of the textures:

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
        Lotsodots

Two things come to mind.

[*]Get some plaster and apply it with a large trowel. After the plaster has set up you can sand it smooth.
              [*]Cover the wall with 1/4 inch (about 6mm) wall board then use joint compound to fill in the cracks. Sand it smooth.

Next step you is to prime the wall with an acrylic primer.

You can find instructions on how to do those things on the internet.

Good luck.

Wayne
            Comments and critiques are welcome
            AllisonR

Two things come to mind. [LIST=1]
                [*]Get some plaster and apply it with a large trowel. After the plaster has set up you can sand it smooth.
                [*]Cover the wall with 1/4 inch (about 6mm) wall board then use joint compound to fill in the cracks. Sand it smooth.[/LIST]Next step you is to prime the wall with an acrylic primer.

You can find instructions on how to do those things on the internet.

Good luck.

???
                Plaster is solid white and would cover the paintings. I don’t want to cover up the paintings I have made. I just want to make them smooth.

Lotsodots

???
                    Plaster is solid white and would cover the paintings. I don’t want to cover up the paintings I have made. I just want to make them smooth.

OK I guess I wasn’t clear on exactly what you wanted to do. Using clear medium you can eventually get there, but it will take a lot of coats with sanding between each coat. My guess is 5 or more coats. :( Depending on the size of the area it could take many hours of work.

If I had to do this I would try to find a different way to apply the text that would work on the rough texture. Perhaps a stencil, either hand made, or have one laser cut.

Wayne
                    Comments and critiques are welcome
                    AllisonR

I ended up using 5 coats gel medium, no sanding in between. Ended up a bit foggy but still useable. I have access to laser cutter, but stencil on text would not work – all the letter with holes in them would be wrong, like a b d…. and the text is too small.
                        The real lessons I have learned for next time are to make it smooth to begin with, and use larger text only.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.