Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Darkroom early AM behind the mini-mall

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

This morning (2020/04/05) featured thick gray clouds; it was too dark for my typical floral shots so I was forced out of my comfort zone.

Here’s the one I like best from this set; taken behind my local mini-mall…

Very noisy, but the colors work well together and the composition seems OK too.

It looks heavily manipulated but actually just some curves adjustments, tweaking colors, and the usual sharpening after downsizing to post.

Any sort of feedback and C&C is welcome.

Anonymous

I like it Dave, Reminds me of a Hopper painting. Difficult subject but you did well.

I think what surprised me the most is the crop.
            Your crop is what makes this DIFFERENT and GOOD.
            I like the geometric shapes, the fact that only one is lit up but everything else is rectangles and squares. But having all that sky overhead and the nice gradient makes this artistic.
            Good idea, Dave. It works for me.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
            Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Anonymous

Thanks Grant. Edward Hopper – I see what you mean. I wasn’t consciously emulating him and I’m certainly not comparing my art to his, but it does evoke his nighttime city work.

Thanks Lorell. I knew this was an unusual crop, but I figured that the COI was so eye-catching with that nice yellow light and it’s sharpness that it could work despite being so low in the frame.

Too bad it’s so grainy (shot handheld in the near dark at 1/200 sec and ISO 3200).

Anonymous

Dave,
                    It doesn’t matter that it is grainy.
                    Remember what I said about Mark’s Thornbill.
                    “I think content is almost always more important than technical perfection”. You replied “Mark, I second what Grant said.”

Guess what applies to your image?

If this image was made on a cold press paper with coloured pencils you wouldn’t think the texture was too grainy. If it was a water colour the washes would also show paper texture.

If I were to print this on LexJet Textured SD paper the image would look fantastic.

I agree with Grant. I think the grain adds to the recipe that makes this a good creative shot. It supports the mood.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
                    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Anonymous

Thanks Grant and Lorell. You have helped me realize that graininess isn’t always a bad thing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.