Home Forums Explore Subjects Miniature Art Monthly Challenge ~ March 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author

Come join us! Using the following photos create a piece of art and then share it with us in this thread or simply come in and have a chat, comment on the artworks, show us what you’re up to or share your own snapshots.

The guidelines for the Challenge are simple.

All works must be within the size guidelines of the Miniature forum.

You can use any medium with the exception of photography. Digital art is welcome.

All schools of painting from abstract to realism are welcome.

You may crop, edit, combine or alter the images in any way you’d like.
    Please tell us the medium, size and support when you share your images.

Artists of all levels of expertise are encouraged and welcome.

Thank you to all the members who contribute to the Reference Image Library (RIL)[/URL].

Be creative and enjoy!

If you would like to host a month, please pm Virginia (vmrs).

Canadian Goose by echidna

Begonias by Rod

Sheep by ceilog

Rochdale Canal by VeldaJ

Thrift Shop Front by vmrs

Another part of the Thrift Shop Front by vmrs

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
    Find me on Instagram
    Find me on Facebook

The last two, I took while I was at a red light. I thought it looked interesting.

Find me on Instagram
    Find me on Facebook

Hi Virginia, interesting challenge, will give some a try. Hope all is well with you and mom.

LIL

These choices are great and love the thrift shop ones.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Lovely choices.

Christel

Thank you!

I’m going to a class tomorrow on paining pysanky Ukrainian east eggs. I can’t wait!

Find me on Instagram
    Find me on Facebook

Pine Cone

Amazing choices Virginia! Thank you, and thank you for providing attributions for all of them! Have a fun time at your class!

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces[/color]

Thank you! It was much harder and at the same time easier than I thought it would be. The patterns are simpler than they look but the drawing with the hot wax was much harder. It was really fun though. I’ll have to take a photo later of the egg.

Find me on Instagram
        Find me on Facebook

Pine Cone

I’ve been really curious about it ever since you mentioned it, so I hope to see photos of the egg.

I can’t imagine how you could draw with hot wax on an infinitely curving surface… doesn’t the wax want to cool before you’ve drawn everything you need to with it?

And as you turn the egg, isn’t one hand ending up smushed into wax that was already painted down with the other hand before the turn?

I think if I tried it, it would be total disasterville :eek:

It’s pretty neat, it was both harder and easier than I thought. The easy part was drawing on the egg. The patterns look hard but they’re fairly simple lines, the lady explained it really well too so that was nice.

With the wax, there’s this tool called a kiska. It’s almost like a little pipe. The wax goes in the pipe part and you heat it over a candle and you have to do it fairly often. That part was harder than I thought it would be.

Have you ever done batik? it was kind of like that. You wax then dye then wax some more than dye. You start with the lightest dye then go up the darkest one last.

It was really fun. Here’s my egg, you can see, I made a lot of mistakes but it was fun.

Find me on Instagram
            Find me on Facebook

Pine Cone

Wow, that is very cool! But yeah, it looks pretty much impossible :eek: Thanks for explaining how you do it. Do you think you’ll make more? It’s lovely!

Oh, and do they last? Or is the egg still inside the shell?

CinderellaG

Love your egg Virginia! I did the first 2 photos today. They are acrylic. The Goose is 1.5 ” x 3″ stretched canvas. The Begonias are 3 x3 ” canvas board. It’s fun getting back into painting miniatures! I actually started on the bridge but couldnt finish it today..maybe tomorrow! Great subjects to work with too!!

Cindy G.

wow, love that egg!
                    Cindy – beautiful little paintings!

Christel

6×4 with acrylic

Christel

That sheep is gorgeous, Christel! That looks like one of those Victorian paintings.

Cindy, those begonias are divine, so so pretty!! The goose is great too. The blues with the brown is such a great combination of colors.

Thanks for the lovely comments about the egg. It is blown out. It’s so light. I’m going to try some more, I bought the basic tools for it. I had to buy eggs today and I spent way too much time looking at all the eggs there so I could get the right shape. :D

Find me on Instagram
                    Find me on Facebook

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.