Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Internet Sales Strategies Seller’s Permits and 3rd Party Websites question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    johnsnelling

I am soooo new to this selling over the internet. I don’t know the legal entanglements re: internet sales tax, etsy vs facebook marketplace, amazon handmade, etc.
        Just went online to get a seller’s permit and it was asking things I’m not sure about re: third party sale?, third party websites, my website(s).

I have a couple of blogs and pages on FAceBook. Someone bought a painting over Facebook messenger/googlepay and another bought one using paypal.
        I have a spreadsheet program covering the breakdown of costs and taxes, but I’m not sure how to fill this form out, any ideas or illuminations?

In the past I’ve gotten after the fact temporary seller’s permits for special events where I’ve sold pieces. So internet sale is soooo new to me. I’m still an ol’ fashioned mail-me-a-check type person.

:confused:

"Things that are left unsaid often speak the loudest" - John Dewitt Clark
        “Art makes the sight of Life bearable by laying over it the veil of unclear thinking.” — Neitzsche

Use Her Name

I went to our local small business office, and they basically said not to fill out any permits (etc) until I started making a profit (and not just a one time thing). In the meantime, you still must put any additional income on one of those lines in the 1040 form. (Obviously, seek help from a tax professional to CYA.)

I got to say that small business offices are more knowledgeable about “Sunglass-Shack” kinds of business, not artists.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

redfang

Heh, I recognize the California BOE page. ;) I did in-person sales at an event in California so I had to apply for a temporary seller’s permit (aka, the giant PITA). They ask those questions because they don’t want to miss grabbing as many pennies from you as they can if you live in the state.

I think third party selling is through places like eBay, Amazon, Etsy, etc., where they process payments. If you are selling from your own pages on FB or a blog then you’re not making third party sales. Whether you have to pay taxes on internet sales will likely depend on if your state has a sales tax. My state doesn’t have a sales tax (some cities and towns do) so I wouldn’t have to collect tax from internet sales. The new internet sales tax laws are a nightmare. :( Get a tax professional to sort it out if you want to keep your sanity.

"If influenza was only contagious after symptoms appeared, it would have died out thousands of years ago. Somewhere between tool using and cave painting, homo habilis would have figured out to kill the guy with the runny nose."

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.