WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2019, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
cat walking up the drive

Chinese brushes and Chinese ink ground on ink stone painted on Yasutomo rice sketch paper from Blick.

Am not alway sure that this is the appropriate place but watermedia does not have a lot of ink subjects. It's not watercolor so not where I usually hang out. Chinese or Japanese Ink brush painting must not be a popular medium. I find it challenging and love the simplicity. Maybe you can accept it as an offshoot of pen and ink.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 10:20 AM
North East England.

Hails from England
Re: cat walking up the drive

Accepted!

Lovely, accurate drawing/painting of the cat!

What's the size? The head/face shows acute observation and drawing!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 11:39 AM

This is superb! I know from doing this myself how difficult is is, the paper is so absorbent that the ink will spread everywhere.The fur looks soft enough to touch. Good to see someone else on here brave enough to attempt it!
Kind thoughts June
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2019, 05:32 PM
Lord of the Arts
Deep in the American South

Hails from United States

Very nice!

Art is life's dream interpretation.
- Otto Rank
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2019, 07:12 PM
Vancouver, BC

Hails from Canada

Very good work, that cat has character! I've struggled with the same thing about where to post that sort of brush & ink work.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2019, 11:56 PM
Yarrow, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

Such a simple composition but it says it all. You can almost see him moving. Beautiful.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2019, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

It's so very catlike, simple and lovely.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2019, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

It looks like the cat is walking out of the paper! It's true, I can see him (or her) moving. Excellent!

I tossed my roll of rice paper- too difficult for me to work with!

Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2019, 06:58 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldey

Am not alway sure that this is the appropriate place but watermedia does not have a lot of ink subjects. It's not watercolor so not where I usually hang out. Chinese or Japanese Ink brush painting must not be a popular medium. I find it challenging and love the simplicity. Maybe you can accept it as an offshoot of pen and ink.

Hopefully you can see from the responses that ink work such as this is totally appreciated here.
Don't worry about that at all ,it is a fact that pen & ink folk however purist intheir taste may be have always used brushes & washes down the ages , sometimes exclusively so !

When Japan opened up & the sumi of the East became more widely known (late 19thC.)it had a profound effect on the P&I artists of the time & the same is still true nowadays !

An observation rather than any kind of critique would be that you use the sumi media in a very western based approach.
I mean your work is based on very careful observation & shows an exquisite control where as the Eastern way is not drawn/painted from a direct viewing of a cat, much more it is created from the memory or impression of a cat. Two very different approaches & results.
I have read that sumi painting itself changed radically in the 10th century (on the arrival of Buddhism) from a much more realistic approach to the emphasis being on capturing the spirit of the subject rather than the physical reality of the subject. We can still see this apparent dichotomy being played out today in art everywhere , yes even on this forum regularly !
More please , Mike

Last edited by pedlars pen : 09-01-2019 at 07:40 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2019, 10:42 PM

Wonderful! I love how the cat is in focus in the near ground and slowly drops out of focus until the tail is a blur.

Clark