Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Shutterbug Pub The Shutterbug Pub, SaturdaySunday, September 1415

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    damar

Weekend Greetings!
        Was hoping to get outside for some photos today.
        Overcast sky, hazy and blah right now…

From the archive

Fujifilm X100F, XT20 + Nikon Camera Bodies & Lenses
        Photos are ©2021

Oh, Oh, Oh, that’s a beautiful and perfectly lit shot. Superb Image.

Thanks Patty for starting the weekend daily. Wow, you certainly set the bar high.

Off to do a bunch of stuff, won’t be back for quite a while. See ya all later.

LORELL

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
        Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

From my archives.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
        Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Greenhill

A magnificent capture, Patty. Beautifully composed, and beautifully lit as Lorell just said.
            Little from me today. Just a couple from yesterdays walk in lovely Spring sunshine – at last our weather seems to have taken a turn.

OMD M1.2 + Olympus 8mm fisheye, F1.8 Pro

MY FLICKR
            OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3[FONT="Georgia"]
            The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Anonymous

Beautiful photos, ladies. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi Mark; you posted while I was correcting typos. Nice photos of a lovely spot.

Who (besides me) follows the PBS cooking show by Jamie Oliver? His approach is to make dishes, from salads to entrees to desserts, that use just 5 main ingredients and can be made quickly (usually in less than 30 minutes) and easily. My daughter got me his book for my birthday, and last night I tried one of his recipes (with one adaptation): salmon (on sale yesterday for just $5.00/lb – couldn’t pass that up so I bought about 2 pounds), mixed color cherry tomatoes, fresh basil torn into small pieces, finely chopped black olives, and thinly peeled cucumber ribbons. Cooked the salmon until slightly browned on the outside; meanwhile halved the tomatoes, added red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt & pepper and threw this mixture into the salmon pan for its last 30 seconds. Plated the salmon, topped with the tomato//basil/vinegar/EVOO mix, added the cucumber ribbons and garnished with some basil leaves for presentation. Turned out pretty good. I still have more than half of the salmon left, so will try another recipe tomorrow.

My scheduled city trash pickup didn’t happen yesterday; apparently the local union staged a half-day work stoppage on Tuesday as a show of support for some fellow trash collectors union involved in a labor dispute in Massachusetts. HMMM? Why should a labor dispute on the east coast be allowed to affect my service in California? I think the city should reduce our bill since we didn’t get the promised service. Seems entirely appropriate and fair to me, but of course that will never happen.

Lowering the bar to my level, some unidentified flower taken at a neighbor’s house (Mark is right – why not let the neighbors put in the work to grow the flowers and I’ll come along with my camera when they blossom) a few days ago…

[Nikon D7500 and Nikkor 18-300mm shot at 300mm, manual mode, 1/800 sec, f/14, ISO 500, processed in ACR & PSCS5]

Greenhill

Ha! … you beat me to it with a well chosen image to match Patty’s theme, Lorell.

But Dave, I just slipped in ahead of another of your opportunistic florals, filched from your neighbour’s ‘labour of love’ garden!
                    I have to say that I am not a fan of J.O’s culinary art. He immigrated to Oz from the UK and has set up a chain of restaurants here.

MY FLICKR

Anonymous

Hi Mark.

Is it common that Aussies don’t take to Jamie Oliver?

Anyway, I finally got around to processing a photo of yesterday’s salmon ala Jamie dinner…

[Nikon D7500 + Nikkor 18-300mm taken at 125mm, manual mode, 1/1000 sec, f/10, ISO 500, processed in ACR & PSCS5]

damar

Wow Lorell!!!
                            Beautiful shot! Funny how our lighting is so similar!

Mark, the casting photo is super! Nice subtle action by a man oblivious to the paparazzi that’s been chasing him through the woods all the way to the river!
                            :)
                            No, really, the action of the water is great too.
                            The train cars look low profile; or I’m seeing it wrong?

Dave your lavendar flower is super! You can see the iridescence in the petals;
                            and I like the shadow of the stamen. Nice background color too.
                            Your recipe is very colorful!
                            Don’t watch my TV, but I have a few favorites on youtube.

This is from today..got out and drove around.
                            The sky was awful again. overcast, colorless, glaring white, hazy.
                            So I tried to keep as much sky out as possible.
                            After noon we started to see some hazy blue patches.

Someone lives here, its not a museum.

That column planted dead center is unfortunate, but I had to work around some obstacles. ehh who cares!

Photos are ©2021
                            Greenhill
                                Dave, I can’t answer as to whether my fellow Aussies take to Jamie Oliver or not,
                                however his ABC tv cooking show was dropped some time ago. That of course
                                may have more to do with contractual reasons rather than viewer acceptance.
                                Forgive me for saying so, Dave, but that dish does look like something Jamie would cook up.

Patty,
                                With that tree in the way I can see the problems in getting a good shot, even infavourable light. A fisheye may have
                                come in handy, enabling a much tighter camera angle, and would have set those Corinthian columns a’hula dancing!

You are correct, I did follow him to the river bank, almost breaking my neck by slipping on wet mud.
                                However, I did ask if he minded me taking a shot of him casting and he had no objection.
                                I stood not more than a few yards from him with the fisheye deployed.

Our train carriages are shabby and outdated but high enough to stand up in without bonking your head!
                                Vline in its mindless wisdom uses this rolling stock on the north eastern line, the intercity rail corridor between
                                Melbourne and Sydney, but mercifully terminates at Albury on the NSW border. The NSW Train Link service
                                takes 11hrs and 6 mins in a faster more up-to-date train to cover the 874 kms (543 mi), either by day or overnight.

No match for Amtrak!

Union Station Chicago

MY FLICKR

Anonymous

[B]…[/B]
                                    [LEFT]

Forgive me for saying so, Dave, but that dish does look like something Jamie would cook up.

[/LEFT]

It’s no surprise that my salmon meal looks like something Jamie would create, since it was adapted from two of the recipes in his book.

Nice train photos; I see nothing in them.

It was still dark for my usual Sunday morning walk to get coffee and the Sunday paper, so photo ops were slim. Here’s the best I could do: maybe consider it some sort of abstract…

[Nikon D7500 and Nikkor 18-300mm shot @ 85mm, manual mode, 1/400 sec, f/5.3, ISO 500, processed in ACR & PSCS5]

Getting ready to watch football today; pizza ready to be cooked and beer chilling.

Don

Hello all. It has been very hot here, sunny, and dry. I’ve been busy still trying to repair some minor damage outside the house trying to get ready for the painter in a few weeks. And getting ready for a week long camping trip. We are heading to the northern most areas of Georgia where it will be at least 10 degrees cooler! Hoping to get some good photos while up there.

It has been on my mind for a week since Don understandably said
                                        that if he didn’t know me better he might think that I didn’t like Americans.

No worries mate, no offense taken here.

Now I need to make a run to the local Home Depot to buy something for ants. It has been widely reported that they are quite a nuisance in several of the campgrounds. The last thing we want is to be invaded by ants while camping. I’m probably going to buy a bag of diatomaceous earth.

I’ll try to check in off and on while we are camping, if I can.

Photo site - http://donlwilliamsphotography.com

"A moment in time
                                        Immortalized forever
                                        With silver and light"

damar

Mark, I love the train photo at the station (double deckers)
                                            Amtrak leaves a little to be desired…it has to share freight rail in most places so its often forced to sit on sidings and runs chronically behind schedule on some routes,
                                            Amtrak is mostly interstate trips.
                                            Big cities have metro lines inside the city, but we have very little in the way of connecting city to city.
                                            I cannot get on a train here and go to any city around me. Nothing but freight.
                                            Hey Don!
                                            Its getting dry here too.
                                            Enjoy your trip! And if it comes to you vs ants, may you have the victory!

Photos are ©2021
                                            Greenhill

No worries mate, no offense taken here.

Good to know buddy.

Dave, I like your photo whatever it is – certainly abstract. If it weren’t for what appears to be a manhole cover, I could believe it was an aerial shot over Catalina Beach taken at dawn.

Patty, As I remember it, the journey from Sterling IL to Chicago was fast and comfortable, I was most impressed.

MY FLICKR

I had a good weekend with friends and family.
                                                I managed to spend lots of time with both.

I just finished making supper while watching the Lion’s football team squeak out their first victory of the season. It wasn’t pretty, but we will take the “W” anyway. I don’t even want to think about the terrible game that Michigan’s State played yesterday. A lot of unhappy Spartan Fans after that one.

Now I sit here enjoying the nice photos that you all posted while I was out partying and putting together the new challenges for the next two weeks in the Darkroom and here in the Pub. You folks inspired both of them and hope that you will enjoy adding some photos to the few that I used to start the challenges.

Mark,
                                                I really like the train depot photo with the yellow lights and gal walking toward’ you. That there is a prize winning photo. Reminds me of when my friends and I took the train to Chicago and when we arrived, the station looked like this.

Your fishman photo is cool. It looks like the guy eats lots of fish or only eats if he catches something. He is pretty lean. Fly fishing is supppose to be fun. Did he catch anything while you were there.

The train going over the pond is cool too, but I did miss the train until Patty said something about it. I was busy looking at the reflections in the water.

Patty,
                                                Your big white beautiful mansion reminds me of the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island (Michigan) but your structure is only about 20’th the size of the Grand Hotel. The hotel was just sold this past week for an undisclosed amount. I wish I had photos of it to show you. The island that the Grand Hotel is on is sort of between Michigan’s upper and lower peninsula. You can only get there by a ferry. Once on the island you either walk, ride a bike or ride in a horse drawn carriage. No motor vehicles are allowed on the island and the water freezes over in the winter time. They are now starting to take the horses off of the island and sending them to the lower peninsula where they will stay on farms for the winter. This island, Mackinac Island is a super huge summer tourist attraction. It is really something cool to see including the ferry boat ride to the island.

Photo taken by
                                                Carlos Osorio, File/Associated Press

Dave, your capture looks like some sort of aerial view island! Though I know it is not. Sometimes photographs can do that, be deceiving unless you know what it is that you are looking at. Your salmon on the other hand is obviously a good healthy dish. It looks quite appetizing, especially with the salmon colored salmon :lol: and blue design in the dish. Very nice presentation.

Oh by the way, I really like the patterns made by the shadows in your purple flower.

OKAY, all done.

Both challenges are updated. Go check it out. Better yet, add something from your archives if it fits that challenge.

By the way, the Digital Manipulation Forum has some challenges going on there as well, one from Natalie and one from Rich. Thanks all.

LORELL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.