WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1246   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2019, 09:24 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Kansas

Hails from United States
Re: Autumn in the Big Bend National Park

Robyn:

I thought you knew about the trains that stop in Alpine. The station is right down town. Yes you can do this and rental cars are available. Remember though Alpine is 80 miles from Study Butte and BBNP visits involve lots of motoring about. Work up a typical visits mileage and include that in your rental estimate. Toss in the gas expense and those optional insurances. Add two round trip RR tickets and parking your car in Dallas. Probably costs more than you'd guess.

A 340 mile paddle boat race on a major river in mid-November would be interesting... although the possibility of high water, ice, snow & sleet is interesting also. Still have not volunteered... but might go watch it pass by if the weather is not too nasty.

I have to admit I admire not only your work but also your energetic promotion of it. Yours is a classy act.

-Dave
  #1247   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2019, 11:29 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks for the nice comment. One only has so much storage space; gotta move that art out somehow.

I guess what I didnít know was that there is passenger service to Alpine from Dallas. It wouldnít be a way to save money, but might be a fun change up from the long drive sometime. We want to start going to Big Bend more often, but getting there takes some doing.

Boat race in Your latitudes in November...the racers must be dedicated, or crazy. Being a spectator sounds much more sane.

Working on a residency application for Chaco Canyon. The work and thinking done for the Big Bend project is a good starting point and shows the sort of thing I plan to do.
  #1248   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2019, 09:07 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn:

The train to Alpine takes 22 hours; leaving Dallas at lunchtime... so it's an overnight trip. You pass through San Antonio. Yes, it would be fun. Lots of nap time too. I've painted on trains but nothing was very special.

Won some sort of prize in the KWS show in Wichita... not sure what prize but they are mailing a check. The painting is one of my BBNP pieces.

I have heard the weather will be unusually warm in BBNP this winter. Heh...

-Dave
  #1249   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2019, 08:37 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Yay, you finished in the money! Always a morale booster.

Iím cool with warmer weather this winter at BB. Iím hoping to have a good wildflower display in February, which is a little early. Itís too much to hope for a repeat of this yearís, which was a real standout.

Got most of the residency proposal written. Discovered that I write much more freely if my drafts are done in longhand, rather than sitting in front of the computer. It can take me three hours to craft a sentence on the computer.
  #1250   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2019, 09:38 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn:

I still don't know what award one of my pieces won; however that won't stop me from cashing their check.

Writing on the computer... I must now confess that I've worked for years on a sci-fi novel. Every now and again I pull it up and start "improving it". If I was doing it with a ball pen this editing would be such a huge project that I'd have thrown it away years ago.

Just sent images of five pieces of my Big Bend area art to a show to see if their jury bites on any of them. I had wanted to send a painting of an Australian street scene but days of searching did not turn it up. Some times things just get misplaced around here !

-Dave
  #1251   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2019, 07:54 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

What donít you do! A man of many talents. Good luck with the novel.
  #1252   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2019, 10:21 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn:
I'm actually kind of finished with the book but going through and reading it keeps me finding things to change. For one thing my grammar is not actually up to the task. Still... as I age I find I can read over the thing and it is sort'a new to me. Started in 2011 and still messing with it. How's that. My principal characters are dwarves, midgets and insects... of which I admit to knowing little. Still I enjoy fiddling with it. I use to know a man who made his career editing the best known pulp science fiction monthlies. Interesting guy fer sure.

No word from the jurors of the show I entered with some of my BB area watercolors. Maybe tomorrow.

-Dave
  #1253   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2019, 09:53 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Any word on the show?

I put in my app for Chaco Canyon. So now we wait.

We are at the time of year when the afternoons are perfect for plein air work. Going to do a spot of that tomorrow.
  #1254   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2019, 08:34 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Hi Robyn:

Word on the show... Yes in a way, the show has put off notification for two weeks, (!).

Good luck with that Chaco Canyon thing. I expect you are a serious contender.

My wife has suddenly found herself with The Shingles and as a result I'm not going out of town for a while. So... no BBNP this Autumn after all my debate! Still watching the OPS newsletters to see if they are going in '20. Still interested in what you two are doing in February. Anyone adding to the group?

It has gotten rather windy and cold for painting with watercolors P.A. here. But I watch the weather every day and have some hopes.

The Big Boy was schedruled to stop in Alpine this past weekend.

Comments?
-Dave
  #1255   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2019, 01:38 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Sorry to hear Judy has shingles Dave, I hope she has a quick recovery. Very painful.

Doug
  #1256   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2019, 09:21 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Hi Doug:

She has a good spirit and is making the best of it. We will see as the event progresses just how nasty it is in her case.

She took advantage of the afternoon to toss out old school papers. This caused her to dig out some small linoleum block prints an artist had given her maybe 65 years ago. One dated 1936, another 1939 and a 1948 too. Nice work, I'm thinking of framing these. The artist passed away years ago.

comments?
-Dave
  #1257   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2019, 07:11 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Oh, no, very sorry to hear about the shingles. I hope it turns out to be a light case.

Those prints, a nice find. Frame them up and let them have their time in the light.

Still no commitments from anyone else for February. And now I doubt that anyone else will go with us. The one person that I really thought would go is not considering it any longer.

Chaco canyon...the admins for the residency highly recommended submitting a video application, which I did not do. I donít have the equipment or desire to make slick video productions. So we will see.

Other plein air news - I am a big fan of Charlie Hunter and have wanted to take a workshop with him for years. But workshop $ plus airfare plus lodging all added up to too much. This spring he is teaching at a location that is within a reasonable drive, and is a place that David likes to go, so we are making a trip of it. Iím all registered and very excited to be going.
  #1258   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2019, 10:37 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Hi Robyn:

The Shingles: She has to tough it out and I just try to help. But really there is little I can do. Hope I don't get 'em too.

Charlie Hunter... thanks for mentioning him. A new artist to me and his work is brilliant... not exactly watercolors but so what. I can see why you'd be interested. I am taken with his mono-browns depending upon values. The muddled shapes supportng sharp lines and angles! He has tempting T-shirts and books and a video. I see his 2020 workshop schedrule includes one in Texas and guess that's the one you want to take.

Not sure what I'll be able to do in February. It depends upon my wifes health. I'm not going off while she feels this uncomfortable.

All five of my entries, (BBNP art) were rejected by that show. Life grinds on.

I managed to pass 700 miles of 2019 kayaking yesterday. A kind of braging point.

Best of luck with the Chaco Canyon entry. It would be fun, eh! I think the video could be pretty simple, a cell phone thing... but really don't know why it is suggested.

-Dave