Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Dangers of oil-painting-fumes:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Hvalen

HI!

I´m wondering what the dangers are with those terrible fumes and smelly things you are confronted with while painting in oils. For example turpentine, painting mediums and the paints themselves smell very strongly, and I´m not sure of how long I can expose myself without protection without taking what risks. Would it be harmful in any way to work with oils one hour a day in my teenages?

Sometimes I feel just a little bit weird after a long painting session. Should I use protection or else? Someone told me I could get allergic or something, I would certainly not want that!

Oh, and sorry if this question has been raised befor, I just didn’t have the time right now to roam through all the threads.

thanks

OGFed

I guess some are more sensitive to it than others. To me, the only “strong” smell is from the turpentine and some brush cleaners, which I don’t use because I paint in my house most of the time with a 2yr old and 4yr old and wife. The paints and mediums don’t smell strong to me. I use M. Graham paints and use walnut oil with them for medium and cleanup. No strong odors here.

d2create

HI!
                Should I use protection or else? Someone told me I could get allergic or something, I would certainly not want that!

You should always use protection! Especially as a teenager! :D :lol:

haha, sorry… couldn’t resist. :p

I know people that wear latex gloves to protect the chemicals in the paints from getting in to their blood stream through their skin. And then you don’t have to use Turpentine any more. There are other things like citrus based cleaners that aren’t so harmful.

TheBaron

Hmmm!
                    Lets have a look at the dangers we encounter throughout our lives…

Rocket fuel being burnt…Big hole somewhere.
                    Aviation fuel being burnt…helping the big hole get bigger.
                    Cars,Trucks,Vans,Farming,Construction Vehicles…we must still be breathing this is.
                    Chemical plants emmiting clouds of harmful remains…is this covering farmland?
                    The testing of nulear weapons…what can I say.

I could go on. ;)

Personnaly if you drink/eat the stuff then yes it is harmful.

Just my cents worth.
                    George

George:I reckon Picasso couldn't do jigsaws as a child
                    Oil Painting - WetCanvas!
                    The MIO is this way------->https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599820)

donn_granros

This topic comes up on a pretty regular basis and the answer for the most part reduces to an individual using common sense. I use adequate ventillation and a minimum amount of turps. Mediums are for the most part optional. I do not use any of the lead based stuff like Maroger (though this can be used safely too). I have used Liquin for years but have recently switched over to M Grahams Walnut Alkyd which I find as effective and less odorous. Relative to brush cleaning -you can use soap and water and/or a number of orange based cleaners and avoid turpentine entirely.

many choices and as TheBaron pointed out above there is risk of a sort in everything.

Donn Granros

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." --Will Rogers

I´m wondering what the dangers are with those terrible fumes and smelly things you are confronted with while painting in oils. For example turpentine, painting mediums and the paints themselves smell very strongly…

Turps and mineral spirits (alone, or as part of mediums) pose the greatest potential risk. Turps in particular is commonly the most overtly toxic element in a typical oil painting setup. You generally don’t have to worry about any smell from the paints (which many people, myself included, actually love!) although there are obviously exceptions – some people can enjoy Skippy or Jif but others can’t be near a peanut for fear of dying.

…I´m not sure of how long I can expose myself without protection without taking what risks.

Don’t expose yourself then.

Would it be harmful in any way to work with oils one hour a day in my teenages?

No way to know. Work with good ventillation (good, consistent airflow past you to the work and then out a window) is a must for caution*.

I used to use enamels a lot in my teens and not knowing any better I had the mineral spirits or turps open on the desk almost continuously, with the window shut (hot climate, air conditioning). I don’t seem to have suffered any ill-effects from this exposure, but another person could easily have become quite ill; and one can become permanently sensitised from that point onwards too, meaning that even extremely low levels of exposure can cause rashes and other unpleasant reactions.

So, much better to err on the side of caution – treat all painting supplies as though they were toxic and you won’t go far wrong.

*Other tips:
                        don’t leave solvents uncapped when unnecessary;
                        use the least amount of solvents you can;
                        use a low-odour solvent in place of regular mineral spirits;
                        or, change your painting process so that no spirits are used at all.

Einion1

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

HI!
                        Someone told me I could get allergic or something, I would certainly not want that!

An allergic reaction becomes stronger and stronger the more you’re exposed to the stuff you’re allergic for. You can not do much against that, except try to get as less exposure as possible. But medication against the effects is often possible. At first the reaction may be so low level that you don’t even notice it.

But I would not think to much about it unless you already know you’re allergic. Because there is so much stuff out there that causes allergic reactions, not only turps or paint.

(Glue used in shoes is the weirdest I have heard of)
                        (And I pity the people allergic to strawberries)

C&C is very welcome, it is the reason why I show my work at WC :music:

wetbob

I want to ask: are oderless turps harmless? Or are they more toxic. I use oderless. I have read that people paint with acrylics because they become dissy of all the fumes. But i wouldnt worry. If you look to bob ross vids, you see all kinds of black/brown spots on Bobs hands. So i dont use gloves but i paint that way so my hands wont make (long) contact with the paints. If it happens i wash my hands as quick as possible.

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382140

ALL COMMENTS WELCOME:thumbsup:
                            TallGuy

I have used Liquin for years but have recently switched over to M Grahams Walnut Alkyd which I find as effective and less odorous.

The smell of liquin got to me too. Some days I found it didn’t bother me and others it could make me almost gag. How does the Walnut Alkyd work as a replacement? Similar/same results? I used Liquin for glazing and found it very helpfull when adding the thin glaze layers.

Jason.

Wrichards

i tend to use lytex gloves when working with most paints espicaly cadmiums (I can taste metal right away if I dont) and when washing brushes but other than that, the fumes? how else can I get to the place where I can paint my happy little trees ;)

”Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life.” -- Picasso.

www.richardmolinaart.com

TallGuy

I want to ask: are oderless turps harmless? Or are they more toxic. I use oderless.

Odorless turps is still turps. They change the chemical makeup somehow to reduce the smell, but the fumes are still there. Same ventilation care should be taken with odorless as with “odorfull” turps. Maybe odorless is even more dangerous as you don’t get the smell to remind you to close the jar of turps and continue breathing the fumes until you start getting a headache. I try and minimize turps usage and always keep the jar closed when not swishing a brush.

Jason.

TallGuy

i tend to use lytex gloves when working with most paints espicaly cadmiums (I can taste metal right away if I dont)

Is this for real? I was sure I read that paints cannot be absorbed through the skin unless you have a cut. I do wipe off paint on my hands during painting, but don’t clean them until the end of the session when I am doing the brushes. Is it mainly the cads that can leech through the skin?

Jason.

donn_granros

TallGuy.. I think the Walnut Alkyd would work well for you in glazing. That’s mainly what I use it for.

Donn Granros

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." --Will Rogers

I want to ask: are oderless turps harmless?

No. Being facetious, nothing’s harmless :) but to answer what you actually meant low-odour solvents are usually significantly safer than turps and most ‘normal’ mineral spirits, with much higher ratings for the time you can be exposed to them. This is often expressed as a PEL number in an MSDS; you want to see a high number – turps is 100, good-quality OMSs can be as high as 500.

If you look to bob ross vids, you see all kinds of black/brown spots on Bobs hands.

And??? Plenty of people who have never used paint have brown spots on their hands ;)

Odorless turps is still turps. They change the chemical makeup somehow to reduce the smell, but the fumes are still there.

That’s not at all accurate. That “change” in the “chemical makeup” you refer to changes what’s in the bottle completely, often entirely removing the very things that make another solvent riskier to use, and this goes hand in hand with reducing (often significantly) the evaporation rate.

So simply put: less fumes and they’re less harmful to boot.

Same ventilation care should be taken with odorless as with “odorfull” turps.

The whole point of low-odour solvents is that less ventilation is necessary for a ‘safe’ (acceptable risk) working environment.

You can still make the decision to use the same level of ventilation you would if you were working with open containers of turpentine if you choose to, but low-odour solvents are safer.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

TallGuy

That’s not at all accurate. That “change” in the “chemical makeup” you refer to changes what’s in the bottle completely, often [I]entirely[/I] removing the very things that make another solvent riskier to use, and this goes hand in hand with reducing (often significantly) the evaporation rate.

OK, thanks for clearing this up. I always thought (or heard somewhere) that the OMS was just as bad with toxicity and fumes even though you couldn’t smell them.

Jason.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                                  • The topic ‘Dangers of oil-painting-fumes:’ is closed to new replies.