Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone painting watercolor on gessoed panel

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Gcmanfrin

I am doing large watercolors on gessoed panels. I am finding that after a number of washes, the surface starts to “pebble” and lose its smoothness. Is there some way to avoid this? also, what product can I put on an area the I want to preserve, but then add more paint to without beading.
        thanks

(I am new to wet canvas and not sure about how or where to post, if this gets to someone who can direct me , please do so!)thanks again

Welcome to the forum. You posted in the right place, someone will be along to help I’m sure.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Gcmanfrin

Thank you, this website is HUGE!!

hblenkle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9X6NANMHRI

In the video they talk about using watercolor ground on canvas probably meaning gessoed stretched canvas panels as seen in the video. The gesso was not intended for watercolor so you get the effect you noticed.

White Pen

Hi@All

@Gcmanfrin

Two samples of my second sold work on gassoed Cavan 1,0×0,30m.

The Challenge : A Opening present to a new Wood House owner .
                    Concept Idea : A Watercolor Painting… ok…
                    …to implement a important piece of the new build house ??? :lol:

A piece of 10x20cm wood from the ceiling was left . Clear ? :thumbsup:

What next.. aah a good idea was born

A gessoed cavan , wood fixed to the cavan an then the watercolor journey starts…:cool:

It´s very difficult to go layer by layer if gesso is not dryed out , bone dry.
                    I use Schminckes Gesso for Watercolor and this is not for fast workflow.
                    I only reproduced the wood texture wich was a challenge to get the right Hue infos and takes me much more time as I was thinking.
                    I stopped adding more Green mass , because the orginal concept was a gras ground as background , somethink let me decide to let it be.

It´s so far quite ok and the new owner is happy with that on the wall.:thumbsup:

I wouldn´t go for to large & complex Compositions , either I can tell you how masking fluide work on gessoboard but if you don´t get a plan surface wich will probably a formitable challenge on large cavans use candle wax or some thing simular instead .

Ps: May you take a small test cavanboard and go on this just for some tryouts , and let use know how it´s work.

The easy part : Fix the Wood > Wood Burning :lol::lol: a other Story.

C+C Always Welcome:wave:

Cheers W.P.[/URL]

Humor is just another defense against the universe.........On-Line Homebase........

Gcmanfrin

thanks for the info.
                        I wrote to Golden, here is there reply and my reply back.
                        o Is the gesso itself suddenly becoming pebbled, or is it the watercolor paint? If it is the watercolor paint, is it happening with just the paint of the latest layer? Is the pebbling a version of wet paint beading, or are bits of the watercolor layers cohering? Or is it something else? Do the pebbled areas of paint have their own height, or are they the same height as the paint film?

· Also, knowing more about how you are painting will help us understand what is happening.

o What is the panel made of and how was it prepared? Which gesso are you using, how many coats, and how was it applied? Was the surface sanded? How long a time passed between when the gesso was applied and when the watercolor painting began? What is the general humidity and temperature in the studio where this is being created?

· Which brand of watercolor, and are there any paints/pigments in particular that cause this phenomena? How many layers of glazing does it take for the pebbled texture to form? How diluted is the watercolor, and how large are the painted passages? While painting, is the painting flat (allowing that paint to puddle in one place while drying) or slightly tilted? Are you using any watercolor mediums or additives?

General thoughts on watercolor over gesso:
                        · Because watercolor by nature has a low binder to pigment ratio, the texture and absorbency of the surface upon which it is painted plays an important role in paint adhesion. With watercolor paper, the absorbency and fibers combine to help hold the paint to the surface. Acrylic gesso is much less absorbent than watercolor paper, and beading and paint lift can easily happen while painting upon a gessoed surface with watercolor. And because watercolor’s adhesion to gesso is not very strong, it is also possible (if rare) for dried watercolor to flake off of gesso. One possibility for the future is to put a thin layer of an absorbent ground down over the gesso to create a more watercolor-friendly surface. Among our products, possibilities include GOLDEN Absorbent Ground or QoR Watercolor Ground, Golden Light Molding Paste or QoR Light Dimensional Ground, and Golden Fiber Paste or QoR Cold Pressed Ground. The last pair would be the most textured among these products.

o QoR Grounds: http://www.qorcolors.com/groundsapp

Preserving painted passages while the watercolor painting continues to evolve:
                        · Removable masking fluid or liquid frisket is an approach we have found successful for preserving a painted area as is, while continuing to paint. Be aware that liquid frisket ruins brushes. And it is a good idea to always test the masking fluid with the support and process being used to be sure that the frisket will come up without problems, and without bringing an unacceptable amount of paint with it. The Incredible White Mask Liquid Frisket by Grafix has worked well in our tests.
                        · As far as painting or spraying an acrylic medium over watercolor as a permanent mask to preserve areas from over painting, this is not something we have tested. Thin liquidly matte products would work better than the thicker or glossy ones, so Fluid Matte Medium might be an option. However, watercolors are likely to have the same type of adhesion issues with acrylic mediums that they have with acrylic gesso.

Beading:
                        · Ox Gall or QoR Synthetic Ox Gall can help forestall beading when added to diluted watercolor paint painted onto paper. However, the paint applied over it is likely to bead unless it has the same addition. We have not tried this on gesso, so if you find this of interest we would recommend testing first on sacrificial gessoed surfaces to be certain it works as needed within your process.

o QoR Synthetic Ox Gall: http://www.qorcolors.com/products/mediums-grounds/mediums

My reply:
                        When I paint watercolor on your prepared gesso board, I love the results, smooth, no beading. the paint does tend to lift more than I would like, hence my question about a “sealer” in the middle of a painting. so that a ground will not lift as I keep adding layers. (Perhaps on gessoboard the drying time between washes needs to be longer?) what do you think.

Watercolor paintings on wooden panels. I first used GAC200, then gesso. Then multiple sandings and spray gesso.
                        I think either I didnt wait long enough before adding (and lifting ) the watercolor and the water slowly eroded the gesso surface. Would you agree?

I have not decided that the surface must need the water absorbent ground. What dilution do you recommend for QoR absorbent ground? should that be sanded between coats,? I am after a very smooth surface.
                        Any comments are helpful.

hblenkle

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1348677&highlight=absorbant+ground

A thread on watercolor grounds with experiences given.

Gcmanfrin

Thank you, this is all very helpful.

White Pen

Hi@All

The Australian Art Magazin International Artist in his actual Magazin feature John Lovett on Gessoed Watercolor board.

For larger painting he recommend:

Swich to thin alu coated bord and then lay on thin gesso layer 1-6 times.
                                    and go forward when dry with Watercolor layer paint , dry …next layer …
                                    Looks he use Golden gesso watercolor.For white space use Gouche.

Cheers W.P.

Humor is just another defense against the universe.........On-Line Homebase........

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.