Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery Sandpaper for pastels?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    HowardMCheng

Today, I bought myself some pastel paper, but it feels completely like sand paper…and also, it’s toned in a light raw umber. How do I draw on toned sandpaper? I’m so confused; I’m too used to white smooth paper. Any tips would be great!

Also, does anyone use water with pastels? I’m interested in this technique. What brushes would you use; watercolour or hog?

I am sooo confused with pastels; obviously I think I should stick to my photography lol.

Thanks guys.

Howard

Tools of trade: *Nikon D40*, Centon DF300 (Minolta X300 copy) and my trusty computer

khourianya

Ohhh – Howard – are you in for a treat. sanded pastel papers hold so many more layers of pastel than smooth papers do and it allows you work over areas time and time again. You can draw your base sketch on it as per usual (use charcoal – you’ll find it easier to cover over with pastel).

Then start in on the paper. If you have harder pastels, use them first and save your softer ones for the top layers.

I found it really helpful – when I was starting out – to post my paintings as I progressed. Like a work in progress except asking for help when I got stuck! It makes learning really easy! In no time, you will be confidently making your strokes and raving about sanded papers!

Cori Nicholls
            Bringer

Hi,

If you want, you can use alcohol instead of water since it evaporates faster.
                But of course that it depends upon the kind of work/painting. And of course that you have to define your preferences.
                I can’t advise you on a more proper brush since I simply don’t know the answer.
                Working with that colour can be good because it’s probably more in between.
                White will make other colours darker.
                However the colour of the paper depends upon the work or the artist’s preferences. There are those who work with several colours and there are those who prefer black or white.
                If you can, show us a photo of what you wish to paint.

Regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.

HowardMCheng

Thanks guys for your advice so far. I’m a bit daunted by this sand paper business, but might give it a try. Not too sure how the toned paper will affect though, as I usually use white, so colouring might be a bit fun. I guess I could do a Constable and have the “toned” sandpaper as a major part of his painting (only because he didn’t finish it).

Howard

Tools of trade: *Nikon D40*, Centon DF300 (Minolta X300 copy) and my trusty computer

Lady Merllyn

Hi, Howard, I love this sandpaper. I do mostly animals and it’s brilliant for fur and suchlike. I draw the outline lightly in a shade lighter than I’m going to use because there’s no rubbing out and, if you do use a rubber, it does take a shade off the colour of the paper. I don’t find the colour a problem – I think there are about six or eight different colours from quite a dark brownish/grey colour to a pale sand colour and also pale green, which I haven’t tried. There may be more if you shop around – the problem is nobody seems to know exactly what it’s called! I can’t get on with the ordinary pastel paper because it has too many little dents and dips in it which I can’t fill in and I felt the pictures ended up looking flat and lifeless with little bits missing all over the place.

I don’t know what sort of pictures you paint but please persevere with it – you might be surprised!

Let us know how you get on.

Nora

Tressa

Howard, you might try just BLOCKING in shapes of color, and force yourself to use little to NO LINES!!! Don’t worry about anything, but learning how the paper reacts to your colors!!! Block in large masses of darker color, and then build up on it to your lights!!! Try something simple to get the feel for it, like a vase or a sky, or just some land mass…Don’t try to get too detailed yet!!!Then post your efforts and the lovely people on here will help guide you!!!
                            Tres

My Webpage: www.zhibit.org/treshommel
                            Blog:http://leonardosloft.blogspot.com/
                            Test
                            "We derive more benefit from having our faults pointed out by our enemies than from hearing the opinions of friends." (Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519)

MarciaJane

Hi Howard. You have chosen a great medium. Pastels are good as you get instant colour with no mixing of paint (and often getting the wrong colour).

I do mainly landscapes, and start at the top of the page and work down. This way I find I dont smudge anything by accident. With sanded paper you can brush of any mistakes with a painting brush (preferable hogs hair or similar). I have never used water with pastels so cannot comment on that. I also do not fix my pastels at all as it darkens the colours.

Hope this is of help to you and that you enjoy using pastels. :)

MARCIA :wave:
                                My Art website :- https://marciarowles.webs.com/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.