WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#2446   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2013, 12:04 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States
Re: Supplies while sketching/journaling - version 2

Changing the subject : possible sketch kit? The Workmate II from Saunders : http://www.saunders-usa.com/core/?brand=70&model=73

(sigh)

Jan
  #2447   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2013, 01:44 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Maybe, I'd really like to see it up close and personal. They don't show it fully opened so you get a good idea of the space inside.
  #2448   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2013, 01:02 AM
Seattle, Washington

Hails from United States

Happy New Year, everyone! I meant to post this here a while back but got distracted, I guess. Here's my annual blog post of top 10 products (criterion: most-often-used products, not just products I like):
http://www.tina-koyama.blogspot.com/...13-top-10.html

Fueled by Clouds & Coffee
http://tina-koyama.blogspot.com/
  #2449   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Hello!
Thanks for sharing your list with us! Love your blog, and how you thoughtfully provide links to the things you are describing.

I'm very interested in both the Rickshaw bag, and the Stefano book system. I'm very glad to see that the book fits into that size bag!
I'm getting a bit annoyed at how heavy my current bag is once I add everything needed for painting...I am assuming the Stefano is much lighter than a hardbound book, even though leather is heavy?

My other question, could you please describe how you clip the paint tin to the leather? Is it a chunk of wood with velcro? What wood did you use?

Thanks, and Happy New Year!
D.
  #2450   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2014, 12:21 AM
Seattle, Washington

Hails from United States

Hi D.,

I wish I could say that the Stefano was significantly lighter than a hardbound sketchbook, as reducing the weight of my bag was the initial motivation for getting it, but it's only an ounce or two lighter. It's less bulky, though, so it feels like less. I wish it were a little lighter, but it has so many other benefits that I use it every day, even when I'm not traveling.

The watercolor tin attaches to the leather cover with what used to be a desk nameplate from a former corporate job I had. But I've also made one with a 6-inch plastic ruler. Anything flat, thin and stiff will do. This blog post shows the assembly:
http://tina-koyama.blogspot.com/2012...velcro-is.html

#2451   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2014, 06:55 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Hello all! Haven't been here on Wetcanvas in a while because I've been very busy with my fiction writing. I'm going to be rehoming some of my art supplies that I don't use much and keeping only those I actually DO use. Hate to see such nice supplies sitting around going to waste. All were purchased in the last few years, so they are not old. Many never used or only tested.

Wanted to pop in and say that if anyone is looking for journalling supplies, I am going to be listing some in the swap shop.

Today I added some sennelier 80 set pastels, water mixable artisan oils, and a yarka St. Petersberg 24 set.

But I will be adding some inks, pens, journals, pencils, etc. in the next few days. If anyone is interested, I could send photos.
  #2452   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Here's a new idea for a self-contained sketch kit. It has quite the name. Ready? The Tactical Admin Organizer with Zippered Map Case on Rear. It's here : http://www.cpgear.com/store/map_case...r_map_case.htm

The video on that page provides an excellent description/demo. Provides a thorough description.

Nice features:
-- The elastic loops in the two front exterior pockets keep all your pens and pencils nicely organized. A little creativity with all the velcro allows you to lock both of them in an open position, making access easy.
-- I like the option of being able to load a sketchbook into the inner compartment, as the video shows. You can work on it there inside or easily remove it. Flexibility!

What I'd change if I had the energy:
-- There is about ten square feet (I exagerate) of velcro on this thing. After using it a while you might want to remove some of it. Or relocate it.
-- I'd add the long strips of elastic to the pocket on the left hand side of the inner compartment. (Just like what's in the two front exterior pockets.) Currently the elastic extends only about a third of the way across. If it went all the way across, that would allow me to securely store pens and pencils the full width of the inner pocket too. Taller items, such as full length brushes or a ruler, would fit there, where they don't fit in the front pocket elastic because of the shape of the pocket.

In any event, this case looks promising. The quality of materials is excellent and the zippers are very sturdy. This one has possibilities! I will test it and report back.

Jan
  #2453   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2014, 01:53 AM
Seattle, Washington

Hails from United States

Wow, they've thought of everything...! Is the Velcro as noisy as it is in the video? I like the slots for a sketchbook, too. Also looks like it may be waterproof -- nice. Seems like the only thing it's missing is a carrying strap... or maybe there is one? Looking forward to your report, Jan.

P.S. I find it somewhat disturbing that some of the coolest sketch gear is found on these survivalist/paramilitary sites. I got a little belt bag to carry pens and stuff at GearOps.com.

#2454   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miatagrrl
Wow, they've thought of everything...! Is the Velcro as noisy as it is in the video? I like the slots for a sketchbook, too. Also looks like it may be waterproof -- nice. Seems like the only thing it's missing is a carrying strap... or maybe there is one? Looking forward to your report, Jan.

P.S. I find it somewhat disturbing that some of the coolest sketch gear is found on these survivalist/paramilitary sites. I got a little belt bag to carry pens and stuff at GearOps.com.
Yep! Definitely as noisy! These wannabe military guys are dazzled by velcro. Velcro everywhere. An empty spot on a bag? Oh yeah, slap on a square of velcro!

I'm not bothered by the convergence of utility between military type bags and sketch kits. Both users have very similar performance requirements. Makes sense!

Waterproof? I would't submerge it, but it'd protect everything well enough if it got damp.

Agreed about the carry strap. There isn't one, but there ought to at least be some well-placed D-rings, just in case. Another drawback that I didn't mention is that the largest size sketchbook that'll fit in the center compartment is 8-1/2" x 11, standard notebook size. Might be a deal breaker for some folks who love the bigger sketchbooks.

Jan
  #2455   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2014, 05:58 PM

Hails from United States

It varies. Been taking micron pens, wc crayons, derwent water soluble sketching pencil, black and white charcoal pencils. If to a location where I can bring more - watercolor palettes (I have 3 with 20+ reservoirs), rapidographs (if I'm not flying - they can leak), brushes, etc.
  #2456   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2014, 07:23 PM
Seattle, Washington

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! What is it about colored pencils that I find so seductive? Somehow new ones keep appearing in my home, practically against my will. I wrote a product review of Caran d’Ache Museum Aquarelle Pencils on my blog.

#2457   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2014, 02:42 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Because colored pencils are awesome.