Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Am I missing something here?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    lowesguy

Is this the real deal of his painting? seems cheap for his caliber of works,he has many selling cheap around $139,then some are 3k!, what am I missing?
        http://afremov.com/CITY-BY-THE-LAKE-PALETTE-KNIFE-Oil-Painting-On-Canvas-By-Leonid-Afremov-Size-30-x40-SKU19901.html

Have a great day!:thumbsup:

Davkin

Afremov is the read deal, he apparently does quite well. I don’t understand his business model but it works for him. His primary income apparently comes from selling copies of his own paintings, not prints but painted copies. He must be very good and fast at it because he sells them cheap!

David

lowesguy

I thoughts so,copies of his works??, and those things are not small!,I’ve watched his videos and he piles the paint on and its not cheap! seems they arrive rolled in a tube and stretching is extra,he paints at lighting speed,very cool effects. I thought maybe he had someone copy his work then he signs? very confusing?

Greg Long

Medium: [B]100% hand painted oil painiting on Canvas[/B] by Leonid Afremov –[B] Recreation of an older painting[/B]

[B]Signed by Leonid Afremov, Certificate of Authenticity provided.[/B]

the certificate of authenticity will include the name of the owner who purchased the piece of artwork. The certificate is signed by Leonid Afremov. If you buying this painting as a gift, please provide us the name of the gift recipient for the certificate. We can also ship to the address of the recipient of your gift.

reading between the lines, it is quite possible he is getting the works copied elsewhere and signing them himself. I have had numerous offers from China to paint my work for me over the years, knife paintings are easy to re-create once you have the pattern.

Bearing in mind he has over 1400 works currently listed, and one would assume keeps stock numbers up while spending time shipping, packing and re-listing most days it is unlikely he spends much time in the studio personally.;)

members

He is copied a lot, and from posts I’ve read by him I don’t think he authorizes anyone elses copies, but he sure is priced to compete with Chinese knockoff factory copies of his work. I hate it when knock off factories do that, and even spam art sites offering to make copies!

Unusual business model, at least I don’t often hear of it. A lot of his work is copied, not just by knockoff factories, but by people who emulate him.

Painting large and fast with palette knives I could see Afremov’s model working, but not all artists would be able to sustain it. They might get bored or feel they devalued their own work. I’d he’s happy with what he’s doing that’s all that matters for him.

lowesguy

Being knife work ,how can they ship it rolled up in a box/tube without possible cracking the paint? or is it special paint?
                            I remember Thomas Kinkade had a factory of painters doing his works,but they were not $139.

Dave Owen

Medium: 100% hand painted oil painiting on Canvas by Leonid Afremov – Recreation of an older painting

Signed by Leonid Afremov, Certificate of Authenticity provided.

the certificate of authenticity will include the name of the owner who purchased the piece of artwork. The certificate is signed by Leonid Afremov. If you buying this painting as a gift, please provide us the name of the gift recipient for the certificate. We can also ship to the address of the recipient of your gift.

By putting the buyer’s name on the certificate he is effectively locking that painting to the buyer as who is going to buy it from the owner who’s name is on the certificate. It’s a crafty way of making sure very few of these paintings get sold on.

My thoughts are that given the 1400 listed paintings he has then he is most certainly having them reproduced elsewhere and even shipped directly from where they are being created.

Nature is the painter,
                                we are simply the scribes who document it
                                for the people of today and the historians of tomorrow. Anon.

EyeSpy

I know nothing about his painted copies, but he’s a fellow FineArtAmerica member, and we watch a steady stream of giclee prints of his work fly out the door every day.

No matter what day or time I skim the ‘Recently Sold’ pages, his name pops up, usually several times. Whatever he’s doing, he’s doing it very well indeed!

My Fine Art Prints - Paper, Framed, Canvas, Acrylic, Metal.[/url]
                                    Website - Information and portfolio.[/URL]

Because I know a couple other artists that get their paintings done in China, I really wouldn’t put it past him to be doing this, although it’s disheartening since he states that the works is painted by him. But the fact that he is selling the work so cheap and the fact that it comes rolled on the canvas (just the way they deliver it back to you from China), tells me he’s probably having them hand painted there. I’d love to think he’s doing it all himself lightening fast, but I just don’t see it. But if I’m wrong, great! Good for him.

Good for him either way I suppose.

alienhelix

Interesting pricing strategy there…

axleflanz

Have you guys seen the documentary art&craft? That guy made a lot of copies of other peoples work, I imagine it’s only easier with your own.

Mike L

That is one gorgeous painting. The information on the page implies it is all his work, but doesn’t he sign his originals?

Just my opinion, but if he didn’t sign it I wouldn’t buy it. Certificates of authenticity are relatively useless unless they come from a recognized authority on the subject. Even a certificate from the painter means little – signatures a easy to fake.

Looking at the other posts, I wonder if these aren’t digital prints dye-sublimated to canvas, something we can all do through Zazzle or CafePress or other online stores.

My two cents.

R/Mike

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                              • The topic ‘Am I missing something here?’ is closed to new replies.