Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Cityscapes/Urban Art TTC steeeeetcar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    skipstah

Hi there. I was waiting on a few other painting’s layers to dry before I could finish them and decided to start another little street scene. ;) Been looking at a lot of Jacob Dhein and James Crandall stuff online lately and trying to lift knowledge from their urban style. Finally cluing in to unifying broader masses in the early stages and then proceeding to render selective areas of detail. Easier said than done usually for me! This is another TTC streetcar scene from downtown Toronto.

C&c welcome, Mike :wink2:

WEBSITE

skipstah

A bit more refinement.

WEBSITE

dave woody

Love it. Fantastic.

bongo

,,,,,,,,, Been looking at a lot of Jacob Dhein and James Crandall stuff online lately and trying to lift knowledge from their urban style. Finally cluing in to unifying broader masses in the early stages and then proceeding to render selective areas of detail. ……..

You nailed it! Bravo

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                    STUDIOBONGO

The streetcar makes the street come alive. Love this one! Your studying paid off for sure.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

sea dangler

Lovely painting Mike,strange as it may seem I actually prefer the first attempt.
                        Dave

skipstah

Finally got back to this one for a bit more work. Really trying to break a bit of new ground here and deviate from my reference… making a few things up here and there.. consolidating some of shapes and colours for unity sake. Also trying to keep the edges softer until the end of the painting. It might be going in the wrong direction, but a gailed painting is a painting I can learn from! Looking at the photo, I notice the streetcar window and left car look a bit dark, but this is because a few of the other dark areas aren’t done yet.

C&C welcome. Thanks Mike

WEBSITE

skipstah

Love it. Fantastic.

Thanks Dave!

You nailed it! Bravo

Thanks Bongolian!

The streetcar makes the street come alive. Love this one! Your studying paid off for sure.

Appreciated, Thanks Kay!

Lovely painting Mike,strange as it may seem I actually prefer the first attempt.
                                Dave

Thanks Dave.. I appreciate your honesty. I wish I could sell a painting at that stage of finish, it’ half the effort and 1/10th the time. I feel I have to put more effort in though!! I agree paintings always do have more charm in them at the beginning though somehow. I think its the boldness of paint and colour. Still trying to wrap my head around the whole thing! Thanks for the comment. :cool:

WEBSITE

floblue

Very nice!

I love this final version, Mike!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

This is great!

I grew up in Toronto and loved the old streetcars.

The new ones are pretty cool too and your painting is wonderful and brings me back ‘home’. :)

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

skipstah

I love this final version, Mike!

Thanks Kay!

This is great!

I grew up in Toronto and loved the old streetcars.

The new ones are pretty cool too and your painting is wonderful and brings me back ‘home’.

Hey Colin, Thanks! I’ll consider it a successful painting if it transports you back to downtown TO! ;) The new streetcars are nicer to ride in, but not nearly as interesting to look at as the older ones. It’s quite a contrast when you see the two different versions at an intersection! Only a matter of time before they all become the futuristic version though I’m guessing.

Thanks for the comment. cheers Mike.

WEBSITE

Reed Jones

Really well done! Congrats!

www.reedmichaeljones.com

Critiques and feedback are welcomed!

Old Radagast

Urban scenes are so hard to paint because of their run-away complexity and often chaotic mix of angles, shapes, and colors. You did a good job here simplifying the streetcar and surroundings without going too far; it all works together with a real feeling of location, but without urban chaos.

Matthew

Still much to paint and much to learn!
                                                My blog: https://autumnglade.blogspot.com/

skipstah

Really well done! Congrats!

Thanks Reed!

Urban scenes are so hard to paint because of their run-away complexity and often chaotic mix of angles, shapes, and colors. You did a good job here simplifying the streetcar and surroundings without going too far; it all works together with a real feeling of location, but without urban chaos.

Thanks Matt. Your comment is right on the money. Lots of times when I go out with my camera to take pics I’m overwhelmed with the result when I actually look at it for painting reference. lol I’m lately trying to omit detail, pick/play up a theme, move things around a bit more to compose a simpler effect. I’m glad if the painting “looks” busy, but is not actually concerned with tons of detail in the actual execution. Simplify simplify simplify as I was always told! :)

WEBSITE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.