Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Oil Paint on Paper?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I have recently begun painting oil paint on paper and cardboard and I love the effect. I am not priming it first! But I love the way the paint is absorbed, and produces a matte texture! Its as though I have the best of acrylics and oils in one! Is there any advice as to acheive this another way? And how long can I expect these paintings to last on the paper?

I’m afraid you are going to end up with a moldy painting. You can get this same effect by painting on scratchboard or clay board. There is a sealent in the clay-like substance that helps. kinda like treating a canvas with acrylic gesso, but the porous clay absorbes and gives it a matte finish.

You could also paint a finished painting with a matte finish, it would seal and give it the finish you want.

http://www.dianalee.com

[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Well, you’re in good company. Degas did the same thing for the “dry look”, before he switched to pastels. However, the conservators will hate you; oil and paper don’t get along together. You need to seal the paper first, such as with acrylic gesso, if you want the work to last. (Well, either that, or become as famous as Degas so they’ll knock themselves out to save the work Or, you could try pastels, which start out dry and matte.

I like the texture of paper better than canvas myself, but I always gesso it first.

Cardboard is generally extremely acid, and will destroy itself without any encouragement. I’d avoid it as a support.

Thank you so much for all the advice! I realize my favorite painting will be slowly self-destruct, but it is in the experimentation that one grows! I have got to try this clayboard and will run out to the nearest art store to pick some up…this is where I will find it?
    I am afraid that acrylic gesso will take away my absorbant texture I love so well. I may try a matte varnish first. Thanks again!

if the matte look is what you’re after, di’s answer is the best. that clay board stuff will suck the juice out of watermelon.

——————
    “he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic” – the kobe

"it's alright to be judgmental,,,,,,,,if you have taste"...MILT

Okay guys, I need more help. The art supply store here in Bloomington only has small sheets – and the only resource I found on the internet offers it in 11×14….still too small. I am going to pick up the small pad, but I was wondering how I could increase the scale here…Can I make my own some way?

Hi Ditzler,

Here’s a recipe that was given to me by another artist.

PVA (white craft glue)
    Whiting (fine chalk like powder, or plaster)
    White Paint (cheap, water based)

Mix 2parts PVA, 2 parts Whiting, and 1 part White Paint. Paint thickly with a broad brush on a piece of hard board (keep board flat). Make 4 to 6 coats letting it dry between coats.
    The glue prevents the penetration of the inks, the whiting gives body, and the paint makes it white. If you experiment you will find the combination that suits you. Sand it
    smooth and add inks for scratching or paint on it. I guess you could create texture as well.

I haven’t tried it yet. I have a supply of pre made board and I can’t afford the investment right now. If you try it let me know how it works.

[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

bruin70

“suck the juice out of a watermelon” Now that made me laugh out loud.

Diana

i’m not so sure that unprotected paper is good. it should at least be sealed,,,like with shellac

——————
    “he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic” – the kobe

"it's alright to be judgmental,,,,,,,,if you have taste"...MILT

Diana-
    Thank you so much for the recipe!
    Unfortunatly my excitement and anticipation isn’t enough to overide my job. I will definately let you know how it turns out. Give me a few days!

robinsn

I have several oil sketches/paintings I did on paper, the oldest of which is 24 years old and there are several I did 21 years ago and some a few years later. Besides the paper being the color of oil on the back, they are in the same shape they were in when I painted them. I don’t yet see any paper or painting degradation.

The paper was “heavyweight paper for drawing” , ACADEMIE DRAWING PAD. I painted right on the paper.

-Randy

-Randy

Painter

The multimedia papers are sold in catalogs, presized. I’m using an epoxy sized paper. The odd thing is that this paper will break.

God Blesses!
            Ched

God Blesses!
            Ched

I have an oil on paper that i did, also from about 25 years ago..My report is the same as Robinsn..the oil and a slight bit of color can be seen on the back side of the paper..no obvious deterioration..and the front looks as good as it ever did (ha!!,*grin* one of my earlier attempts at oils).. I have no idea what type of paper it is..something of a cardstock weight..

enjoy yours, it should last at least a lifetime or two

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.