Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Temperature question

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mongraffito

I sculpt in alabaster and marble, figurative subjects.
        As I just discover that glass modeling can happen at home, not just huge kilns, I’d like to work some stone and glass (together) sculptures. Before I buy a lamp and rest of tools, I’d like to know how close can I come with a 650-750 Celsius flame to the stone, while modeling the glass around. Thanks

DougC138

About the glassworking aspect of it,,,, I don’t know myself. You should probably ask in the glass art forum, if you have not already.

It is my understanding that the problem with glass-working is not heating it, but cooling it… If it cools too quickly it will develop cracks, so an annealing oven is used to cool it down slowly, from 1000F+ to room temperature, over a matter of days.

Also I can say that a lot of rocks and crystals will tend to fracture and may even explode (throw pieces) if heated with a torch. If you want a stone surface that can take the occasional blast from a welding torch, you must use firebrick or kiln brick. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_brick

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.