WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2019, 04:49 PM

Printing Inks dry too fast!

Hi

I'm doing some print with the Printing Inks and SoftCut Carving Blocks from Essdee.

I noticed, that the color dry extremely fast and I would like to know, how I can delay the drying time. The color are water based, so, maybe I can just put some water in the color?

Second question: I made a few prints but each time the color does not come very uniform. Some places on the print are darker (too much color?) and other places are not enough color. The carving block seams to be inked correctly and uniform.

Thanks for the help!
L. D.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2019, 03:14 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States
Re: Printing Inks dry too fast!

Hi, the color variation could be a few things. I would wash the blocks thoroughly, to first ensure there's no grease on it. Even a fingerprint could throw things off. If you're printing by hand as opposed to a press, you might be varying the pressure without realizing it. It could also be the type of paper you're using~ try a different kind and see if that's the problem.

Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast, most water based inks do tend to dry extremely quick. You could try an acrylic paint retarder. I like to keep a bottle with a mister on it and I spray the ink between printings, that works for me but I tend to do just a few small prints at a time so my ink isn't sitting out for very long.

Hope that helps!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2019, 03:20 AM

I tried water based inks once. Never again. If your block printing you can use Litho or etching inks along with trans base and setswell.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2019, 01:00 PM

I would recommend using good quality water-based inks and their drying retarder mediums. For example, Cranfield and Schmincke produce high quality inks and retarder mediums for relief printmaking.

Many relief inks dry faster if any water is added to the ink. Schmincke Aqua Linoprint is such ink that has to be kept away from water if long drying time is required. Those inks contain substanced that slow the drying time. Extra water messes up those properties and makes the ink dry many times faster.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2019, 06:41 AM
A Local Legend
Finland

Hails from Finland

Thanks for the good question L.D. - I just printed my very first one and just thought my ink layer was not even. Thank you for your valuable replies Virginia, Leather Roller and blackandwhite. I am sure to wash my block now. Any recommendation ... dishwasher liquid maybe?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2019, 08:25 AM
Lord of the Arts
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

I don't know anything about printmaking, but I have just taken a class making prints using a gellyplate and Golden open acrylics. The teacher said she finds them better than printmaking ink as the open time is longer. She also said the paint is very expensive. Might be worth trying?
Vena
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2019, 03:07 PM

One option is to mix acrylic-based screen printing medium with pigment powder and use it as ink, as discussed in the blog post there: http://www.ndiprintmaking.ca/?p=343
I haven't tried that recipe, so I cannot give personal opinion. I imagine that it could work fine in humid conditions, but fast drying might still be issue in dry climates.