WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2019, 10:26 PM

Hails from United States
Please move to structured critique - (Unfinished) Hawaiian Horse

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: (Unfinished) Hawaiian Horse
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
So I haven't painted in years but am finally admitting to myself it's what I really want to do as a hobby and a job but it's not going to tu<br> into a source of income unless I actually paint.

Please disregard the area between the hill and treeline and missing/incomplete treetops. Sorry for the first image being poor quality. It was automatically resized and looks a bit fuzzy now.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I want to consider this finished after I paint the treetops, but as soon as I started I didn't like it. I just did a couple lesves on the tree on the right and realised I have no idea on how to even play around with it until it looks right. It just looks too messy/overworked and blocked out/lacking definition to me. I don't like how you can see the feathering where the brush was running out of paint at the end of each stroke. I almost feel like maybe I need to repaint the sky and start over but I don't know how to make the palm trees match the rest of the painting.

Last edited by LeahPaintsPonies : 05-01-2019 at 10:28 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 01:18 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: Please move to structured critique - (Unfinished) Hawaiian Horse

I like how it is looking.
Some canvas needs added gesso, more paint layers or an underpainting to fill the pits in the surface.. thin or single layers of paint can sink in and leave those spots..

The greens in the palms could be toned down a bit, a touch of a red will naturalize it I think..

Too bad the photo shows the horse's butt as the most focussed & highlighted.. you could bring the head & neck closer to that level of focus & detail for a better focal area..
right now the head seems blurred & maybe a bit long compared to the neck length..

Very nice work on the back half of the horse..
You definitely have the skills to do it, just take your time , adding layers, getting the lights & darks , adjust greens in the palms.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=528
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 11:03 AM

Hails from United States
(Unfinished) Hawaiian Horse

Thank you for the feedback. Sounds like I just need to find the motivation to keep playing around with it. Looking at the physical painting, it looks like everything is in focus. Some of the fuzziness might be due to the image getting resized. I think I can sharpen up around the underside of the neck.The horse is angled away slightly in the photo, and I'm kind of wishing I'd decided to just ignore that, and have the sun coming from a different angle. It does look like the head is a bit large too... I may or may not be willing to rework it that much. Haha. But I guess either way it's all a learning experience!

Last edited by LeahPaintsPonies : 05-02-2019 at 11:24 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2019, 09:36 AM
Enthusiast
Comfort,Texas

Re: Please move to structured critique - (Unfinished) Hawaiian Horse

I agree with Joy, ,, the value of the grass shadow merges with the head, the distant tree trunks might be too bright,and distinctive, maybe the grass should be lighter in the distance