Home Forums Explore Subjects Southwest and Western Art Canyon de Chelly 2

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    TomMather

Here’s the second painting from my trip to Canyon de Chelly, AZ, in May. This painting is quite a bit larger at 18×36. I was hoping that the tall format would convey some of the scale of the tall canyon walls. However, I am struggling with creating more sense of depth and distance. The sky was so clear that you don’t get the atmospheric haze that helps create the illusion of distance — particularly compared to the East, where the humidity and air pollution helps you sense distances more readily. Perhaps some of you Western painters can give me some suggestions in this regard.

This is beautiful work, Tom! I do like the sense of vastness in this painting – that sky is especially impressive. The mix of cloud types adds a real sense of reality. Your colors look fantastic too!

In regards to your dilemma, I can see why that would be an issue without the aerial perspective. One thing that might help give more depth is to sharpen the details in the foreground, perhaps more texture in the riverbank, a few tiny pebbles, and more details in the water’s surface. Likewise, maybe a softening of the distant rock formations – less individual details and more soft forms. I don’t think either of these changes have to be taken too far – it’s already beautiful just as it is! Hope you’ll share your finished painting with us. :)

Jenna

My website: https://www.thecozyred.com/

TomMather

Thanks, Jenna. I am close to finishing it, or just tired of working on it. You’ve made some good suggestions, and perhaps it just needs some tweaking. I might also try graying down the distant ridge with a thin glaze of transparent bluish gray. I actually had added more details to the foreground before posting this shot, but perhaps need to accentuate them more.

KJSieloff

Oh my, Tom This is breathtaking. From living here in AZ, I fully well understand your dilemma as well. I’ve found late evening or early morning photos can best capture that distance. Mid-day from say 9 am to around 4 pm the light is way too intense and color washes out. That makes everything look flat. I hope that helps!
                Kathy

Kathy Sieloff
                My Website

oldglory

Tom: Wonderful painting … love the view :thumbsup:

I live in Montana ( Big Sky Country ) … have attached two photographs I took this summer looking East (the first one ) and North ( 2nd ) from my place … maybe this will help –

Hud

This is a beautiful and inspiring scene, Tom, and I’m no one to make landscape suggestions. To me it is great as it is and am sure at that size it makes a strong statement hanging on your wall.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Tom, this is gorgeous. What Jenna said is good, softening the far rocks and making the shadows less dark (even if you don’t see them that way) That will bring the darker shadows forward. I really like the feel of this one. I’m smiling again….

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
                    My website https://jocastilloart.com

TomMather

Thanks for the suggestions (and compliments). I’ve been traveling for a while with limited access to internet, so I haven’t been able to paint. I’ll post another photo if I make any changes that help with my distance dilemma.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.