Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture A Portrait of the Arftist As A Young Man (x-post AbstractCon)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jimwhalen

Mixed media Mounted on Canvas 15″x30″
        Comments and Critiques are valued.

The essential thing, for me, is to offer a visual expression of those things in our experience that words cannot express www.jim-whalen.artistwebsites.com
        selectedgrub

I’m feeling it.
            Thanks for sharing.

ArtsyLynda

Sooooo . . . I don’t understand abstract art, sorry. What you have here is a nice presentation, but I don’t know how it reflects or fulfills the title. Are you saying you are a wild and crazy guy who has deliberately wrapped himself tightly to conform to the world? That’s the feeling I get from it. Please clarify it for me – I’d like to understand. Thanks.

jimwhalen

The original meaning of the word ‘faggot’ is “a bundle of sticks or twigs bound together as fuel.” It became a derogatory term for a male homosexual when it was not an uncommon practice to burn gay men at the stake much like a witch.

This piece is aimed at those who have felt the sting of that phrase and sensed that they were tossed on the ash heap of society.

It is the first and signature piece for a series of works in progress that takes a symbolic and metaphorical look at social injustices and the struggle for social justice.

The essential thing, for me, is to offer a visual expression of those things in our experience that words cannot express www.jim-whalen.artistwebsites.com
                    ArtsyLynda

Thanks for the explanation! It makes all kinds of sense and represents your concept well.

Gerardo G.

I thought it looks very attractive, but now that I understand the meaning behind it I love it. It’s so political: the right to be! You know?

jimwhalen

Thank you so much for looking and sharing your thoughts.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.