Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The What do you think art is?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    OK

Something decorative on the wall?
        Hell no it should and can be a lot more than that.

No1

No2

No3

No4

No5

No6

No7

So just don’t go saying you like these drawings they are nothing they don’t speak of or to society, they are meaningless drivel.

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
        — Allen Ginsberg
        Are you ready for a Journey?
        PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

Mr Estes

Art is something to do on the cave walls when we’re not hunting and gathering.

Some very nice cave drawings. :eek:

OK

Unfortunately we do not know why Prehistoric Man painted on the cave walls and it’s hard for us to imagine how these earliest artists thought. But undoubtedly the paintings are relevant to their life in some way.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                — Allen Ginsberg
                PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

Mr Estes

I don’t think thought has changed much. It arises from the need to communicate.
                    Prehistory Man had the benefit of no Art history. So he wasn’t looking for “so much more” that sounds like a Sunday sermon to me.

OK

Prehistory Man had the benefit of no Art history.

Palaeolithic Art covers broadly the period 40,000 to 10,000 years ago. So they had a far longer history of art to refer to than we have. The Italian renaissance broadly 1300 till now is hardly worth mentioning by comparison.

— Allen Ginsberg

That’s a good title Dave, accompanying some of your latest artistic efforts. I was looking at this question recently and it seems that no one can actually define what art is.
                        With my kids art class I took in an article from the Spectator about Frank Auerbach to demonstrate that they didn’t have to be able to draw well to produce a masterpiece… and they all produced some nice works of art… and I totally agree with the opinion in this article from the same paper
                        http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/11/modern-art-is-rubbish-and-deserves-to-be-thrown-away/

Mac

arch

Art is something you can make, maybe a bit more creative than making furniture or a building but still something from nothing other than out of the vapour of our minds. It’s also intensely personal which is why we sometimes have to explain it and why it makes sense to me but not you.

Mr Estes

Palaeolithic Art covers broadly the period 40,000 to 10,000 years ago. So they had a far longer history of art to refer to than we have. The Italian renaissance broadly 1300 till now is hardly worth mentioning by comparison.

But they had no way to refer, no real society mostly tribes. The one who could “speak to the walls” was the tribe seer.

So is it society’s and cultures that determine what art is? Does the market place determine what art is? How is it different then music or literature. A successful artist must be able to communicate that basic humanism we all have. That’s why we put it in museums, because group of people agree it speaks the them. So I guess even today the artist must be a sort of a seer :confused: way of topic, but he started it:)

OK

Mac you have to subscribe to the Spectator if you want to read that article in full, at least if you are logging in from a UK ip address. But just reading the opening paragraphs I can tell the author would agree with your recent exploit of walking through Tate Modern with your eyes closed probably your most artistic expression you’ve made recently.
                                    Although I can’t read the whole article the main thrust from this barbarian is easily identified as an attack on Tracy Emin without any understanding of what she is about. Tracy has explored her whole persona in the public arena with autobiographical work. Her life, loves, depression and joys are laid open in galleries all over the world. She explicitly depicts her face and body to show her vulnerability and pain, she also reveals acceptance and being at greater ease with the world. A far better way to spend her time than me making these tiresome drawings I post on the figure forum.

It was a rhetorical question Arch, trying to dissuade people from making ridicules comments about liking my dreadful drawings not to be taken literally.

But they had no way to refer, no real society….

That is just an assumption on your part we know very little of how they lived but flat pieces of stones are found in considerable numbers up to 5,000 at one Spanish site alone with drawings and engravings on them, probably the first art collections. And these stones are just what has survived, what has been lost would have been an immense treasury of art.

— Allen Ginsberg

I think the opening paragraphs are enough Dave, it’s quite plain, ‘cleaner finds rubbish in the Art Gallery… and throws it out’. It’s refreshing to see the response of a normal person who has not been conned into thinking that if an expert (someone who is going to make money out of it) says that a pile of rubbish, because it was put there on purpose by ‘an artist’, is a work of art… therefore it must be!
                                    if artists create rubbish there are appropriate places for it

Mac

OK

Remember eyes tight closed Mac or the world will sneak in.

— Allen Ginsberg

FriendCarol

I can speak as a writer far better than visual artist. For me as writer, fiction and poems are the artist’s attempt to work out a problem, or just explore an issue, using the characters and plot (which is best as the interactions of these characters). I don’t really know why visual artists produce their work, but I suspect it’s similarly a personal response to the world and other people, when it’s good art. Bad art often comes from a “pay attention to me” effort from the “artist.”

[FONT=Times New Roman]Audacity allows you to be at ease with your inadequacy, safe in the knowledge that while things may not be perfect, they are at least under way.
                                            Robert Genn[/I]

Mr Estes

I can speak as a writer far better than visual artist. For me as writer, fiction and poems are the artist’s attempt to work out a problem, or just explore an issue, using the characters and plot (which is best as the interactions of these characters). I don’t really know why visual artists produce their work, but I suspect it’s similarly a personal response to the world and other people, when it’s good art. Bad art often comes from a “pay attention to me” from the “artist.”

Only decent things I have produced are when I approach it with a little humility, or it’s a gift. Great a answer, you win. :thumbsup:

Mr Estes

[QUOTEThat is just an assumption on your part we know very little of how they lived but flat pieces of stones are found in considerable numbers up to 5,000 at one Spanish site alone with drawings and engravings on them, probably the first art collections. And these stones are just what has survived, what has been lost would have been an immense treasury of art.][/QUOTE]

That’s a good point. We call them primitive man, but then I look around me and wonder what we are? especially over here in the colonies.

kevinwueste

So what Ms. Emin does is “art” ? Emin as an artist who “put her period panties on the wall and called it art”. ( Quote from the Guardian)

I tend to agree with Richard Dorment’s view of her (Art Critic for the Telegraph) :

Emin’s confessional unmade bed was short-listed in autumn 1999 for the Turner Prize. Charles Saatchi bought the piece for £150,000 and allegedly put it in a room in his own home. The Guardian called it the “birth of a phenomenon” and ran with the headline “How this bed turned from work of art to modern icon in less than two weeks”.

But this paper’s critic, Richard Dorment calls Emin a “phoney”. In 1999 he wrote: “Emin shows memorabilia amassed during the course of a life marked by promiscuity, rape, abortion, alcohol abuse and financial destitution, but also by phenomenal critical and financial success, achieved by marketing graphic descriptions of her most intimate feelings and degrading experiences as works of art. Billing herself as a modern day Expressionist, Emin brings life — in the forms of videos and things taken from the real world — into the art gallery and leaves it there, more or less unchanged, like unprocessed sewage. . . .What interests me about Emin is not her relentless self-absorption, limitless self-pit or compulsion to confess the sad details of her past life, but that all of this adds up to so little of real interest”.

Craig Brown wrote a satirical piece about My Bed for Private Eye entitled ‘My Turd’.

Or is this art ?

or this ?

I believe what you think of as “art” is yours to behold and determine. If she is ground-breaking and leading the way – I am so happy to be going somewhere else. From my view – this is “emperor’s new clothes” stuff with savvy snake-oil salesman ( Saatchi et al) supporting the secondary art market for massively wealthy morons.. Maybe anything one can post or hang or display is art.. I’m cool with that..

I wonder why you post figures Dave, again and again in an art forum about the realistic figure ? And it’s apparently not even an art-form you like or enjoy (?) I think you have once written that is to give others an example of what not to do ( I am only paraphrasing).. But then you suggest people do not actually learn to draw realistically who want to do so.. Why do you do that ? Maybe you are too smart for the room ? Maybe posting in AB-Ex forums may be a better place ? You mention – to quote you “a serious ” art school – one that doesn’t actually teach much other than how to be part of the 21st century art swindle.. Is that good ? You are happy about this ?

I’ll take this one painting over the whole heap of art that Tracy Emins has graced the world with..

i draw, paint and teach | my voice is hoarse | my shoulder hurts.
                                                        Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
                                                        http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
                                                        "kevinwueste" on instagram

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.