WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2019, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast

“Loading dock” and question about framing large work

“Loading Dock”
24”x18”

This was inspired by a trip last week to Stonington, Maine, where I could watch the lobster boats load and unload in the harbor every day. I still have the painting on the easel and may make some more adjustments.

This is done on black Canson Mi Tientes that I mounted to a cradled board.

When I tried working large in the past, I found that the foam core was insufficient to keep the work flat in the frame over time. Mounting on the cradled board certainly works, but it is expensive and heavy. What alternatives are there for supporting large works in frames?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2019, 04:06 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States
Re: “Loading dock” and question about framing large work

Kim, I had to check where this seaside spot was located. I spent a bit of time surfing York Beach, Wells Beach and Ogunquit in the late 60's, but didn't go much further north. I don't suppose the roadside lobster stands are still selling a lobster, fries and cole slaw for $3.95. I like that the dark paper shows through and adds to the loose stroke work. It also supports the dark dock area and shadows. I'm sure others will chime in and comment on supports for larger work.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2019, 06:12 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you Karen, yes, i knew I wanted this on a dark background. I rarely work on unprimed canson these days but that big sheet of black paper just seemed perfect for this.

And no... definitely not 3.95 for the lobster rolls these days, but there is still plenty of lobster!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2019, 11:09 PM

I love this Kim. Especially drawn to the simplicity and limited palette.

I have experimented with some large works and I prefer to cut gator board to size and then apply a formula of gesso and pumice to create the texture. I typically tone with acrylic to give the color I want. Very light weight and of course always sturdy and straight. The gator board here is fairly high, $40 for 4x 8feet but I get a number of pieces out of it.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2019, 07:27 AM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States

Very nica and I agree that the paper was a great choice.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2019, 08:14 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

That's a great painting, Kim! I love the bold design and the strong graphic shapes. I don't think I've ever attempted to frame a piece that large - mostly because of the glass issue. Mamalynn has a good suggestion about gator board. Isn't that what Susan Ogilvie uses as well? Ron Swearingen aka rugman here on WetCanvas makes his own pastel painting surface on masonite board. He might be able to answer any questions you have about framing. I hope you find something that works for you!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2019, 02:20 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Germany

The combination of the bright yellows and the dark violet and black colors is great.
Everything works very well in here, colors, shapes and atmosphere.

As I never work larger than 16'' I have no answers for your questions. Sorry.

Esther
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2019, 02:20 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the insights and kind words Ginny, Donna, and Mamalynn.
I have prepared foam board in the past but don’t usually work larger than 16x20. The last 20x20 I did, the foam board bowed in the back and I’ve had to come up with something to support it. The gator board may be a better choice.

I have some Fiberboard I could cut and use as well but beyond a certain size I assume even that will need to have some wood support built in like a cradled frame. I wonder how the warp resistance of fiberboard and gatorboard compare. The latter is certainly lighter.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2019, 07:10 PM

Kim, I am not sure about fiberboard, but I learned about using gator board for large pieces from the well known pastel painter, Alan Flattman. He taught several us to go in this direction as gator board isn't susceptible to any humidity problems and is often used for large pieces that might be started in the field. I have used it for large paintings, 24x36 and it has been great. Alan also uses a formula for achieving the granular surface. Here is his formula if you are interested, works great.
One part pumice (bonded rubbing powder 2F that can be ordered at Museum Services Corporation in St. Paul, Minn)
one part Liquitex liquid gesso
One part water plus any tint (I used black and yellow ochre acrylic which gives a nice neutral tint)
This should be the consistency of cream. Use a sandpaper block on the gator board to rough it up and brush on the mixture using vertical and then horizontal strokes. You can also apply in swirling strokes to give a different texture.

I also use this same mixture on 100% cotton museum rag paper, 2 or 4 ply, and works great to make your own sanded paper.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2019, 09:35 PM
Enthusiast

This is great, thank you, mamalynn.
When framing, do you need to provide support across the center?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2019, 11:34 PM

I have never felt the need to do so for 24x36. No sure if it is needed for larger pcs than this.