WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Oregon

scam?

Iím not sure if I posted this in the right place. I received this email below and itís a scam right? How could he not have my website if this was sent through my websiteís contact form? It's oddly written I think. I removed the manís name for privacy for him. He did give me his gmail address that looked legitimate but Iím afraid to respond at all. My gmail flagged it as not encrypted but I donít know what that means. Thank you!!

"My name is (removed for privacy) from Jacksonville, Florida. The images on your website are so fascinating and so vivacious, looking at each piece of work i can easily see that you added so much dedication in making each work come out to life, unfortunately i lost the website where i first saw your work but i was able to save your email address. I will like to purchase some of your work for my wife as a surprise gift for our 20th anniversary. Please kindly send pics and prices of some of your art which are ready for immediate sale within price range $500- $5,000, I could be flexible with price. I am writing you because i need your assistant to get back to your website so as to be able to retrieve the details of your work that interest me or send me images of some of your new works with price.
Best Regards, "
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast

Re: scam?

It does sound like a scam of some kind, but I have had a few contacts that I was sure were scammers from some foreign country but they ended up being legit.

The safest way to deal with them is to say that you currently accept only US Postal Service Money Orders as payment. If they follow through and pay you that way, you can easily spot fakes if you know what to look for and use a 10x loupe to examine them closely. You can also take the money orders to the post office to have them check it and can verify that the serial number matches a "real" money order by calling the number below. I have never been burned (over 30 years of accepting them) with a fake USPS Money Order using these methods.

866-459-7822

http://es-about.usps.com/postal-bull...tml/mo_003.htm
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 03:17 PM
Oregon

Thank you contumacious for your quick reply. You know a lot about this so I'm glad I posted this. I think it's a scam too but I may respond because maybe it is legit; guess no harm if I do. I've sold work in galleries but my website doesn't even list prices so I don't do a lot with it. But with this information you gave me I feel more secure about it.
So you wait for payment in full from them and then do the checking of their money order before mailing any artwork, right? I'm naÔve about this so appreciate very much your comments and helpful links. Thanks again!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 04:47 PM

It's a scam. I get these email messages all the time. When you respond, he will not be able to tell you what artwork it was and he will also tell you he will have his shipper pick it up. He will then offer to send you a check for WAY more than the asking price...etc. etc.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I second what creativevintage has to say. Some will offer checks or money orders and some wire transfers. All will turn out to be fake. The whole point of this is to get you to send them real money in exchange for their fake money.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 06:10 PM
Oregon

Thanks, Debbie and Harold for your input. Good to know. By me not responding too, he doesn't get my actual email address because my website contact link hides my real email address.
It's also good to know if one has a legit buyer to do what contumacious said.
Cheers to all! Thank you!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 06:14 PM
Oregon

Thanks Debbie and Harold. Makes sense. At least by not responding, he won't have my actual email address since my website's contact link doesn't reveal my true email address. Thank again to all!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 11:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oregon

Hails from United States

He could do a web search to find your work if he really wanted to actually buy something..
True buyers would have favorited/bookmarked or written down the info..
I agree on the scammy feel to this..
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 02:14 AM
Oregon

Thank you, Tj84, for your input. Good point that he would have bookmarked it or wrote the info down if truly interested. Just too suspicious.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 08:00 AM

Hails from Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativevintage
It's a scam. I get these email messages all the time. When you respond, he will not be able to tell you what artwork it was and he will also tell you he will have his shipper pick it up. He will then offer to send you a check for WAY more than the asking price...etc. etc.

I have heard about it before.

There was a Video from Lena Danya about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-88YiBsMwU

And there was another blog entrance "how to recognize an art scam" http://www.agora-gallery.com/advice/...nize-art-scam/

I wonder how common this is, sounds almost like the Nigeria-Connection...
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 09:54 AM
Immortalized
indy

Hails from United States

Late to the party, but yes SCAM. I've gotten the exact same message, twice.

Just an FYI, an interested real individual will state which piece they're interested in instead of being vague. People don't say "I love all of your work, show me a group of things and we'll figure this out later"... they will fall in love with a specific piece and want to know if it's available.

Keith J. Hampton's Website
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 10:56 AM
Enthusiast

The email is very generic, poorly written and has all of the hooks to snag an artist. If the person was really interested they would address you by name, discuss specific paintings and ask you for more information before setting prices. When a stranger sends an email that is so eager to close a deal and sets an enticing large price range it is a scam.
Here is one way that the scam may work:
They buy $3000 of art from you and sends a check. They then change their mind and decide to buy $2000 worth of art. Rather than send another check they will ask you to refund by wire the $1000. $2000 still sounds great so you agree. It takes a while but eventually you discover that the $3000 check is fake. Gotcha!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 05:14 PM
Oregon

And thanks to you Keith and artbymdp for commenting also. Amazing the scams that people come up with! Appreciate your input.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 10:59 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Always take something like Pay-pal. Never take a check. If it is from a blog or website, always use a checkout procedure or app with the HTTPS. Make your return policy clear. Ultra-crystal clear.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Enthusiast

Google Earth helped me save myself from one scam. Things didn't feel quite right about the deal so I checked out the address they gave. It really did exist as a legitimate address in Sydney, Australia, but it was a vacant lot! No way am I doing business with someone whose address is a vacant lot. Scam confirmed.