Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Does anyone add Damar Varnish to their medium?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    nouartist

I vaguely remember in a oil painting class that it was 2 parts turpentine, 1 part oil (linseed or otherwise) and a bit of damar varnish. But when i read the Winsor Newton description, it says do not add damar to mediums and just paint it on after paint has dried..

Which is right?

Carey Griffel

Both. :)

Many oil painting medium recipes contain a touch of resin for various reasons (such as to aid in adhesion…if, for instance, when glazing you find your paint layer is too glossy and the paint is beading up, a touch of resin is one way to fix that problem). It’s not always necessary, and some (such as myself) do not like the “stickiness” of damar, but many people do use it.

Damar also serves as a common final varnish (applied six months to a year after your painting is touch-dry), though it seems that nowadays synthetic varnishes are a bit more common with fewer problems in the long run (they are supposed to yellow less than damar does, and they are more easily removable for restoration purposes).

~!Carey

* Zaney Zebras (blog) * facebook art page * facebook floral design page * Recipe Blog *
            "...I wished to live deliberately...and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived." ---Henry David Thoreau

But when i read the Winsor Newton description, it says do not add damar to mediums and just paint it on after paint has dried..

Well they make it, so I think we can trust them to know a thing or two :)

Many painters and those working in related fields today are of the opinion that soft resins (of which dammar is one) should not be added to oil paints, for various reasons.

Those who do use dammar in their medium and are aware of the potential problems (many users aren’t) either 1, don’t care about longevity, or 2, are making a judgement call that it’s okay – for the way they use it, for the amount they add or what have you.

If you do use it in your medium you absolutely should not use a dammar final varnish, unless you’re in category 1 above. Instead prefer one of the modern synthetic-resin varnishes which remain soluble in weaker solvents in due course.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

357mag

So is there a problem with using Damar Varnish as a final varnish for a painting? I’ve used it for years as a final varnish.

Anonymous

http://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-blending-and-glazing-medium/
                    Yes, damar has been used in mediums ubiquitously for quite a while now. Winsor newton and many other makers sell it already premixed like that glazing medium in the link. It can discolor in time when used as a final varnish but it is removable with turpentine.

nouartist

synthetic-resin varnish – can anyone list an example?

Anonymous

[dammar] can discolor in time when used as a final varnish but it is removable with turpentine.

That’s actually the point, it’s not.

Aged dammar is not removable without the use of polar solvents (this change can occur sometimes remarkably quickly). These strong solvents pose a major risk to the paint layer.

synthetic-resin varnish – can anyone list an example?

Gamvar as already mentioned, also W&N’s Conserv-Art. Most of the artists’ picture varnishes sold for oil paintings are now this type of thing.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

Anonymous

Sorry I goofed there, Einion is correct that aged damar isn’t easily removed with just turp. I have done it with turp but it was less than a year old.

Anonymous

when i read the Winsor Newton description, it says do not add damar to mediums and just paint it on after paint has dried.

I bumped this because I think this question was not fully understood. After reading this on the WN site I think I know what the poster was asking but a little confused. Winsor Newton clearly says this about their damar varnish “do not use as a medium
                                    They don’t actually say to not add it to mediums, I think they mean to not use it as is, by itself, as a medium.
                                    I am not using it as a medium by itself, but I am using it as one ingredient in a medium. I recently have been using a mix of one part each damar varnish, linseed oil, turpentine and liking it a lot.
                                    Are there expert damar users out there who use a different type, such as a homemade damar concentrate. Is the varnish you buy from WN too weak? If so do you have any advice on the concentration that you like or you have a better recipe? If not then I have plans to make some up to different concentrations and test them out. I may add damar crystals to the varnish I have until it reaches saturation and no more dissolve, then do some dilutions from that to test out.

!becca

Sid, I have been using WN damar in my medium mix for a while now and love the results..my mix is one part damar, one part stand oil and 3 parts turp. And, I do normally use it sparingly. Maybe you should try modifying your mix to include the stand oil too.:D

Becca “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
                                        Becca's Fine Art

Anonymous

Yes thanks, stand oil would be better because i want more gloss too. I usually use some medium because most of the time tube paint is just a bit too thick for my liking.

!becca

Yes, and it is luscious and rich and does add a sheen…I think it helps the paint go down like you want it too..
                                                Tube paint is too thick in artist grade..and it dries dull…this medium creates a satin effect….it also speeds the drying time..

Becca “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
                                                Becca's Fine Art

Anonymous

s’what i’m talkin’ bout! :D
                                                    I don’t like to varnish either.

!becca

I don’t varnish anything…I like how this medium looks without it.;)

Becca's Fine Art

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Does anyone add Damar Varnish to their medium?’ is closed to new replies.