Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Mixing a good Magenta in Acrylic?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    hmshood5

How does one mix a good magenta for acrylic? I could just get a tube of straight magenta, but because I’m a glutton for punishment, I’d like to try mixing my own. Is there a “rule of thumb’ formula?

"All of us get lost in the darkness... Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"
        www.brianfioreart-aviartisa.com

Anonymous

pick the closest red you can to magenta, and the closest violet you can to magenta and mix them, mixing more red and less violet.
            There are no better way you can mix it.

Mythrill

pick the closest red you can to magenta, and the closest violet you can to magenta and mix them, mixing more red and less violet.
                There are no better way you can mix it.

That actually won’t work. You will get a desaturated gray color or very close to it.

Proof? Mix Cadmium Red Deep (PR 108) and Dioxazine Purple (PV 23). You’ll get a color close to neutral. Cadmium Red Medium (PR 108) is not much better.

Magenta is simply unmixable. It is a primary color, after all. But you may be able to get some approximation by using several shades of red and purple.

You can also reach a dirty violet by mixing a transparent Naphthol Red (e.g PR 112) with Ultramarine Blue. Again, that only works with the transparent versions, because they’re a bit more violet.

However, it’s usually not worth the trouble. Just get yourself a tube of either something like Permanent Rose (PV 19) or Quinacridone Magenta (PR 122).

WFMartin

That actually won’t work. You will get a desaturated gray color or very close to it.

Proof? Mix Cadmium Red Deep (PR 108) and Dioxazine Purple (PV 23). You’ll get a color close to neutral. Cadmium Red Medium (PR 108) is not much better.

Magenta is simply unmixable. It is a primary color, after all. But you may be able to get some approximation by using several shades of red and purple.

You can also reach a dirty violet by mixing a [I][B]transparent[/B][/I] Naphthol Red (e.g PR 112) with Ultramarine Blue. Again, that only works with the [I][B]transparent[/B][/I] versions, because they’re a bit more violet.

However, it’s usually not worth the trouble. Just get yourself a tube of either something like Permanent Rose (PV 19) or Quinacridone Magenta (PR 122).

BINGO ! Magenta is, most certainly, a primary color, and as such, it cannot be mixed from any two other colors. Yes, you can mix a “Magenta” from two other colors that will plot perfectly on the appropritate “spoke” of a color wheel, but only at the expense of a greatly reduced chroma (grayer).

People often ignore the fact that in order to perform as a “primary color”by all definitions, it must not only plot on the appropriate spoke of the color wheel, but it must also be as close to the outer ring of the wheel as possible. A “mixed” Magenta may plot on the Magenta spoke of the wheel, but a great deal further toward the center of the wheel (neutral) than a tubed Magenta. And, yes, I too, prefer the PV19 as my “Magenta”. Appropriate Magentas in oil paint are usually named with “Rose” something-or-other in their names. Permanent Rose 502, by W & N, and Thalo Red Rose by Grumbacher are two examples. Each are PV19.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Anonymous

First off, I fully agree with you Bill, as you say you can’t mix a Red color that is as fully chromatic as possible, whether it is a red color or a magenta color, that should be mutually understood. But this maximum chroma stipulation is a novel addition to the rule that you are adding to the “can’t mix a primary color”. Beside that, hmshood did not stipulate that the mix must be an absolute highest chroma magenta.

You will get a desaturated gray color or very close to it.

I do not. Of course cads will not work as well, they also desaturate more than organics, upon mixing.
                        Proof is done with hard irrefutable data and not with just talk.
                        Here is, in fact, a magenta that I mixed from napthol red and diox violet, tinted with white to be able to better see the color, it is clearly not close to being a desaturated gray color and it is a serviceable color.

I actually like this color fine, and I could tube this mix up and use it for most all of my magenta needs for the rest of my painting career. My only red on my palette nowadays is this napthol red, I prefer using it over quinacridones.
                        Napthol red is a common acrylic color that hms may already have, IDK.
                        hmshood already said that he/she could obtain a tube of magenta, but has asked how to do it if mixing other colors. This is how it is done.
                        Note that I didn’t claim that it would be the most saturated magenta possible. I do believe that hmshood understands that too but has said that he/she would like to just try it, just merely try it . I am saying yes, go ahead and try it because you often learn better by actually doing it and trying it out in real life, instead of talking about it.

I’d like to try mixing my own. Is there a “rule of thumb’ formula?

hms, is this mix good enough?, if not, or you don’t have colors that can mix to what you want, then you already know what you have to do, but what I have advised regarding the most efficient process there is, for this particular color mixing example, is dead on accurate and shows you what can be done in real life.

hmshood5

Thanks for the mixing info, but i may just buy a tube!

Anonymous

lol, then I think you may have learned something worthwhile about color mixing.

hmshood5

lol, then I think you may have learned something worthwhile about color mixing.

If at first you don’t succeed, take the easy way out!:lol:

Anonymous

And there is often more than one way to skin a catfish so to speak.
                                        Here are the very same two colors that I mixed in the other example, napthol red on both the left, and the right, under a nice little dioxazine violet glaze laid over top, I left a spot of it in the corner so you can see it.
                                        Take note of the whopping increase in chroma with only one glazing.
                                        Vermeer among others used this method centuries ago. I use it too sometimes.

This was a quickie done on a canvas surface, you can make it look more uniform on a flatter surface, without those tiny dark pools of the dark dioxazine settling in the interstices of the weave. You can also do multiple glazings.

Mythrill

And there is often more than one way to skin a catfish so to speak.
                                            Here are the very same two colors that I mixed in the other example, napthol red on both the left, and the right, under a nice little dioxazine violet glaze laid over top, I left a spot of it in the corner so you can see it.
                                            Take note of the whopping increase in chroma with only one glazing.
                                            Vermeer among others used this method centuries ago. I use it too sometimes.
                                            [IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Jan-2018/112587-rsz_img_1305.jpg[/IMG]
                                            This was a quickie done on a canvas surface, you can make it look more uniform on a flatter surface, without those tiny dark pools of the dark dioxazine settling in the interstices of the weave. You can also do multiple glazings.

Hi, Sid!

Please look at my observation:

You can also reach a dirty violet by mixing a transparent Naphthol Red (e.g PR 112) with Ultramarine Blue. Again, that only works with the transparent versions, because they’re a bit more violet.

Of course, your version is significantly cleaner than what I expected. But that is probably because it is also significantly more purplish. I suspect this is a transparent naphtol red?

Golden’s acrylic paint line has purplish, transparent naphtols. They are much yellower than the quinacridones, but still so much significantly more purplish than normal that I totally believe they can achieve cleaner purples. In other words, even though they look yellowish, these transparent versions don’t really work in mixing as substitutes for Cadmium reds, but as yellower substitutes for quinacridones:

This makes me wonder if magenta pigments have to be transparent to be magenta. I don’t know a single pigment which is both opaque and magenta. Maybe transparent pigments with lots of white, obviously, but as far as I know opaque versions of pigments that would otherwise mix to a magenta or crimson are significantly yellower. For example, Golden has an opaque version of PR 264 they call Pyrrole Red Dark, but it doesn’t mix much like Alizarin Crimson – instead, it mixes more like Cadmium Red Deep (PR 108).

Mythrill

That all being said, I would still prefer the quinacridones for mixing yellows and purples even if some naphtols variations prove to be a good match coloristically, because in general naphtols are not as reliable as quinacridones.

Unless, of course, someone develops a LF I napthol, which, considering LF I variations of Dioxazine Purple (PV 23), is quite possible.

Patrick1

Here is my mix of Cad Red Light (probably the most ‘truly secondary’ red available…which should be the most incapable of mixing a magenta) with Dioxazine Purple. Halfway between, you get a magenta hue at a fair level of chroma. As Sid said, using a more purplish red and more reddish violet (like Cobalt Violet), you’ll get a higher chroma mixed magenta. Basic pigment mixing geometry, sometimes called color bias theory. Or screw the theory, just try mixing paints to see.

If you consider a high-chroma light yellow like PY154 to be primary yellow, you can get close to it by mixing adjacent colors, and the closer these colors are to your target yellow, the higher chroma mixed yellow you get. A non-primary lemon yellow like PY3 + a small amount of a non-primary orange-yellow like PY65, PY83, PY110 or PY139 makes a primary light or mid yellow of very decent chroma. A lot of Cad Yellow Hues are made similarly. Try mixing Phthalo Blue (Red Shade) + Phthalo Green (Blue Shade) to see how unmixable cyan is.

Mythrill

Sid, I’m saying that because I have mixed them. I used Winsor & Newton acrylics’ Cadmium Red Medium (PR 108) and Dioxazine Purple (PV 23).
                                                        There’s a glare here and a slight color shift, so it’s not very accurate. But, in real life, Colors are much deeper, and brownish in masstone (due to Dioxazine Purple). They only reveal the violet undertones when you glaze.

hmshood5

Broke down and got a tube of Permanent Magenta!

Anonymous

I’m saying that because I have mixed them

Yes, those are down in the caput mortuum range.
                                                                You lose a lot of chroma no matter what you use, I used napthol PR170 and that pigment can vary from semi opaque to transparent and from yellowish to bluish.

Broke down and got a tube of Permanent Magenta!

I knew you would!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Mixing a good Magenta in Acrylic?’ is closed to new replies.