WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2012, 02:22 PM

New print

I posted this in my "new to printmaking" thread so I apologise for double posting but Im hoping for some input on where else to go with this print. I feel as though it needs something but I dont know what. This is the 3rd print from my class - next week is drypoint! which I have a feeling will be "easier" as it is closer to what Im used to - dark on light drawing.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2012, 11:23 AM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: New print

Greetings Inlite
thanks for posting
nice design element...a relief from lino?
has a bit of Aubrey Beardsley influence happening here

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2012, 02:08 PM

Thankyou Bridog

Its an MDF woodcut (which seemed to take forever to cut) Im still working on some of the "simple" things like better inking as I wold like a cleaner print. Thinking I may cut the background away completely.
I wasnt thinking Beardsly when I designed it but now you mention it I could really go for more in that style.
Thanks again for replying
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

It has a lovely feel to it. I agree with Brian that cleaning up the areas will give a better impact.

Since you asked for input I have a suggestion. I feel the face on the right is a bit heavy for the airiness of the 'breath' image. It has more to do with a big solid black area which kind of overpowers the lovely airy lines. I would either crop off part of the face, leaving the minimum necessary to keep the idea... or ... print the face in a grey rather than a black. Either would give more focus on the wonderful lines of the breath...

Diane
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Cutter

Since you asked for input I have a suggestion. I feel the face on the right is a bit heavy for the airiness of the 'breath' image. It has more to do with a big solid black area which kind of overpowers the lovely airy lines. I would either crop off part of the face, leaving the minimum necessary to keep the idea... or ... print the face in a grey rather than a black. Either would give more focus on the wonderful lines of the breath...

Diane

I tend to agree. One other idea would be to counter point the curvilinear aspect of the left side with a more rigid rectilinear approach to the face on the right i.e. vertical or horizontal lines making up the face shape. The white areas between lines would lighten the weight of that side, while the strict vertical/horizontal would separate the two elements visually. If I had a choice, I'd pick horizontal.
One method I've used (with linoelum) is to cut the elements apart and re-cut part differently and print them together to see how they look. This way I can preserve what I like and experiment with what I'm not sure of. Jig-saw printing.
Good work! I like the simplicity.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2012, 02:02 PM

thankyou both of the advice, Ill try those ideas out asap and reply, Im a bit squemish about cutting sometimes because you cant put it back if you decide its wrong but I never thought of just cutting it out completely and cutting a new piece to fit
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Salem, OH

Hails from United States

I like your image, but the black does overpower just a bit. I think both solutions sound like great ideas. If you're hesitant to cut up the original block, you could always make a 2nd block with a 3rd element or texture shape in a light tone to add a bit of balance.

Looking forward to seeing where you take this!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlite
thankyou both of the advice, Ill try those ideas out asap and reply, Im a bit squemish about cutting sometimes because you cant put it back if you decide its wrong but I never thought of just cutting it out completely and cutting a new piece to fit

I understand. This is why I like Linoleum. An unmounted linoleum piece is easy to cut, carve, and repeat. Wood is a bit more work. I have lots of jig saw prints. I've cut out sections that just didn't work and fit in a new element.

One other more art philosophical things to kick around is... the ability to change or destroy your own work as a positive thing. When I was in school, studying painting, I remember my advisor coming by and pointing at areas in an abstract painting I was working on and he'd ask 'What's going on over here?' and I'd say 'what do you mean?' and he'd say 'NOthing is going on over here. You haven't changed that and it's not working with the rest of the picture. You are falling in love with that little area and now it's irrelevant to the rest.' I became able to take an art object or part of an image and 'destroy' it and rework it to make it... work. When I'd saved work for so long that the paintings were becoming moldy, I was able to cut the canvas off, toss 'em, and reuse or give away the stretchers (I had slides). the point is... by not seeing something as too precious, I was more able to experiment, add remove elements and learn something new.

Gads, I rambled on again.
Mark in MAdtown
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 12:49 AM

Actually Mrstuarte, I just had that conversation with my wife before i sat down to check this thread. I was saying that I need to not be so precious with my blocks especially in this early stage of learning because I need to try a whole bunch of stuff in order to get the hang of the style (I honestly thought printmaking would be easier to design for but thats another topic) I definitely believe I will learn more and have more fun if I just do what looks interesting and try more ideas and worry less about wether it will make an amazing print. When ive learned how to control this stuff better, then i can work on the "artistic" side of things.

I probably couldve phrased that better but you know what i mean I hope
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Toowoomba, Australia

Hails from Australia

I really like the balance between the heavy, light and space. It reminds me of how I feel when I have a headache. wanting to relieve the heaviness and breath myself into lightness. I really like this print! Great work!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Toowoomba, Australia

Hails from Australia

... also... I interpret the space to the left as an abstract emotion... how it feels to not have a headache..... it is an unknown feeling - I have a headache almost everyday. when I get a space ( headache free day) I cannot describe how amazing it is. It's almost like things are suddenly in slow motion and I have all this 'space' available to me for the briefest time.