Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Framing Discussions How to protect giclee print without traditional frame

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    juck5500

I have been viewing David Hockney’s iPad drawing prints online. Apparently, the paper prints are mounted to a Dibond backing. However there is no indication of how the paper is preserved i.e. if a fixative or a glass/plastic sheet is applied to the paper. My interest is to avoid a normal frame for my giclee prints – and I am drawn to this possible method, but I don’t see how it can be commercially viable if the printed paper is not protected. This is my first post on this amazing website, and I think you all in advance for your help.

Steve Collins

Welcome to the site!

You can have the prints laminated, which means bonding to a substrate (acrylic, wood, aluminum, etc.) with a plastic film bonded to the top. You can get this done through various sources online but you should be able to find a local shop that does it.

Dye sublimation is another option, a special process that uses special inks that are converted to a gaseous state and bonded to a surface, often acrylic, but could be just about anything – coffee cups, t-shirts, ad nauseum. Since it’s a more specialized process, you’ll likely have a harder time finding a local source for dye sublimation prints.

Printing on canvas is another way to go, since stretched canvas can hang as-is, without a frame. It’s also much easier to find local shops that can handle printing and stretching canvas than either lamination or dye sublimation.

Nothing beats traditional custom framing for protection of the artwork, though, so just be aware of the tradeoffs. Of course, since prints can always be reprinted, damage is not the cause for concern that you get with original art.

Mike L

This is the first time I’ve heard of David Hockney, but a little research brought me up to speed. Most of the articles I browsed say, … he is considered one of the most influential British artists of the 20th century. One of his quotes demonstrates why I agree: Art has to move you and design does not, unless it’s a good design for a bus.

There are YouTube videos that demonstrate his digital work. Just search for David Hockney iPad.

Bad news is that I found nothing describing materials or methods of printing. Best bet would probably contact the sellers and ask for that information.

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

Quint

After printing my archival pigment prints I spray them with an archival UV water resistant product. This gives them a level of protection desirable when not using glass. When considering other than normal framing (matte, glass, frame), I have mounted the print on self stick gatorboard. When trimmed and hung it makes an attractive display alternative although no longer archival.

Quint Nikon Coolpix 990, Nikon Coolpix P60, Nikon D7000, Nikkor, 35/f1.8, Nikkor 18-140, Nikon SB700 Speedlight.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.