WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2003, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Rocks and Watch WIP

Hey all,

After struggling with composition for some time I've decided that I will do a fairly long narrow piece using a theme similar to the ones I posted. However, I've got to do a piece for a February exhibition in which there are strict size limitations . .so gonna do this smaller one for now . .the rocks and the watch which seemed to be a popular composition anyway.

First here the ref pic to jog your memory:

wanted to start top right and work my way to the watch as that will be the most detailed and I don't want dust flailing everywhere at that stage.

Here's a close up

Kept working along in this fashion . .this one shows how I was doing the rocks with a soft underpainting followed by some very painterly blotches . .actually turned out easier than I thought . .and then was fairly quick

And this is where I got to

. . and the close up

It's going to slow down now as the weekend is over but I will post further WIP's as I progress.

Hope you all like the way the plagioclase crystals take on the green tinge next to the ferromagnesiums such as hornblende and the pyroxenes. I found it difficult to put the cleavage planes on the potassium feldspar but don't ya just love the small interstitial magetite grains!! ROFLMAO . .sorry . . just had to do that!! . . . I've studied and seen a few rocks in my time but found them quite difficut to draw until I got my eye in!!! . . still quite a bit of work to do on the reflected lights and shadows but will massage them later when I get more of the painting down so the relative values are correct

Cheers
Crumby
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2003, 10:18 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom
Hey Crumby ... what happened ... swallowed a dictionary?
Most amused.

Gorgeous-looking STONES, coming along nicely.
Jackie
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2003, 11:27 AM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States
Wonderful start! I am very impressed....both with your painting of the rocks and your OVERWHELMING knowledge....didn't have a clue what you were talking about!
REally nice...I am going to watch this one....

Sandy
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2003, 12:13 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Paducah, Kentucky

Hails from United States
Crumby.....absolutely....gorgeous looking stones! I don't think I've ever seen you work on anything but black paper and I was amazed when I opened the thread I'm really looking forward to watching this one progress....thanks for the WIP shots!

Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. (Stella Adler 1901 - 1992)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2003, 12:21 PM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Re: Rocks and Watch WIP

Quote:
Originally posted by crumbedbrains
Hey all,

Hope you all like the way the plagioclase crystals take on the green tinge next to the ferromagnesiums such as hornblende and the pyroxenes. I found it difficult to put the cleavage planes on the potassium feldspar but don't ya just love the small interstitial magetite grains!! ROFLMAO . .sorry . . just had to do that!! . . . I've studied and seen a few rocks in my time but found them quite difficut to draw until I got my eye in!!! . . still quite a bit of work to do on the reflected lights and shadows but will massage them later when I get more of the painting down so the relative values are correct

Cheers
Crumby

Well Crumby the green tinge on the plagioclase crystals is superb, As for your cleavage planes and the small interstitial magetite grains, well I think it's magnificent,

This is really taking shape, those textures...superb mate.

Good going.
cheers,
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2003, 01:49 PM
Enthusiast
Malta, Europe

Hails from Australia
THis is gonna be a pastel painting right?????
Havnt got a clue as to what you are yappin about but whatever it is it sounds complicated.....lol
BUt in all seriousness, its commin along great mate, great to see some new work commin from you too, cant wait to see this little beauty finnished.

Konica Minolta 7D
Photoshop
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2003, 02:26 PM
Oooooooooooooooooooklahoma

Hails from Australia
Looking good Crumbed One..... ya got bloody verbal diarrhea mate??? Ah well guess it helps that you're a rock doctor....LOL

Keep it coming!! and I PMd you back on the wood stuff...

Chook.

Colleen Brown Fine Art
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2003, 03:17 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England
Yesss!!!......

......The Watch .... great stuff .... you just amaze me Crumby.......... what pastels and size is this?

..... enjoying what I am seeing already.... look forward to more
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Enthusiast
Northeast Pa.

Hails from United States
It's a shame the weekends go so fast....

Watching with my green tinged crystal eye....Mighty fine Crumby.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2003, 05:40 PM
A Local Legend
Somewhere out there... Auckland, NZ.

Hails from New Zealand
Geeeez mate-they are ROCKS!!!!!-what a show-off!!!!
Looking awesome as always
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2003, 10:47 PM
A Local Legend
Elk Grove, CA

Hails from United States
Well...I have a pretty good idea what a crystal looks like and I can recognize granite, but I don't know from a plasto whatsis or any of that.

I do know a bit about pastel painting and I'm loving what you are doing here. Those rocks are really popping off the page. Can't wait to see more. Also I love the still life set-up. I think it was an excellent choice of the one's you posted.

"To Begin, Begin." - Wadsworth
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2003, 10:59 PM
Plant City, Fl 33563

Hails from United States
WHAT HE SAY? LOL HEE HEE

Awesome work here. Can't wait to see it finished What ever it is LOL
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2003, 02:48 AM
Lord of the Arts
Depends on the Day!

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by 1mpete
Well...I have a pretty good idea what a crystal looks like and I can recognize granite, but I don't know from a plasto whatsis or any of that.

Yep same here 1mp!
After that last progress pic...I read...."BLAH BLAH BLAH, BLAH....and blahhhh blahblahblahblah..!"
and then, English appeared after ROTFLMAO

Great work SirCrumby, its a good thing youre so damn Cute, cause your Scientific side kills me!!!LOL
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2003, 02:55 AM
A WC! Legend
Aotearoa NZ

fabulous work! of course I knew what you wuz talkin' about ............. NOT! LOL
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2003, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Thanks for looking all,
Geeeez those nice comments really do help keep the interest up . . .thanks again . . . struggling with the wood grain at the moment (should've chosen an easy pine rather than this silky oak!!) . .where's the wood gran expert when you need her (Chook!!! where are you????)
Cheers
Crumby

PS will post an updated photo tomorrrow hopefully