WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2002, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
OK,
Next, just more of the same working down the body of the frog . .defining the "stretch marks" (sorry 'bout that term! ) under the throat and the other bumps 'n' hollows (lovely skin eh? . .he he).

Also progressed down the arms here. Underpainting of Chrome Green Light with scumbling of Hookers Green for the darker patches overlain with white spots for the highlights. The toes were quite tedious getting the form right and there's still a way to go here (please be patient!), Again you'll see "scumbling" (is that the right term by the way??). There are other colours used here to . . tad yellow here, lighter green there. Raw Sienna, Raw Umber and Yellow Ochre are also used around the toes (I'm gettin' better at that naming colours bit too eh? )

Few more hours to go on this little fella!
Hope to hear from you real soon!!
Cheers
CB
Attached Images

#62   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2002, 03:07 AM
S E Qld, Australia

Hails from Australia
This is looking so amazing. Along with everyone else, I'm just gob smacked. If I was you, I'd get one of those grants and do a video on a WIP. I know this is very informative, but I'd love to actually SEE you actually working as well. Like, you say "blocking in with tissue" and I think "Tissue? What does he meant with tissue?" And I'd love to see how you put all those little bits on that make him look slippery etc. Yep, ya gotta do a video.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2002, 03:10 AM
Enthusiast
France

Hails from France
Wip frog No.2

CB

What a pleasent surprise this morning. Our friend the frog has come to life. I was looking forward to that, and this is really the work of a genius...... I remember that fairy story, what is it now Rip-wan-winckle... or some thing that sounds like that, where a tiny little man helps the princess to weave a cloth in golden fibre. Every morning she is surprised to find the cloth woven ...

Keep going it is such a beautiful thing you are doing.

Charles
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2002, 07:47 AM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
and there he is in all his glory......well nearly....just fantastic
I tried with the cropping Crumby but I just couldn't leave anything out
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2002, 09:47 AM
Immortalized
Iowa

Hails from United States
ooooooooooo

this guy is really coming to life now!!! its as though hes almost ready to jump from the paper. I LOVE the way u are writing each step along with the details to it...great job in that area. Thought about a book? Boy would I love to be sitting there with u as u work. Just a few more hours? awwwwwww look forward to it being done but kinda sad too as its been a joy reading this thread. any ideas on what u are doing next? have u done any local birds there.. heheehe

Laurie
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Lord of the Arts
Oregon

Hails from United States
Aloha! C.Brains!
He is such a handsome froggy! Your work is purrrrrfect! Thank you so much for sharing your art with us.
I would be very interested in seeing you do a "freestyle" piece....something loose and impressionistic.....just for fun. I bet it would be explosive!
jana
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2002, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Stanwood Washington

Hails from United States
Thumbs up I agree

Quote:
Originally posted by plumpfairy
Aloha! C.Brains!
He is such a handsome froggy! Your work is purrrrrfect! Thank you so much for sharing your art with us.
I would be very interested in seeing you do a "freestyle" piece....something loose and impressionistic.....just for fun. I bet it would be explosive!
jana

Freestyle......yah It might be a good way to unwind after the workout of these great paintings....you would have to fight the realism(or detail) "need"....I will be happy seeing any of you works so keep them coming

birdie
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2002, 04:56 PM
Lord of the Arts
Canada

Hails from Canada
This is brilliant and very inspirational.

How do you deal with the excess pastel dust? Does it ever get onto the blank parts of the black paper? I take it that you dab it ever so lightly that you don't have any extra dust.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2002, 08:09 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Louisiana, USA

Hails from United States
Wow! Still can't believe the amount of detail you manage to get. Do you sharpen your pastels? What brand do you use and how many colors do you have? It's interesting to see the work build up from the start. He's gonna be great!
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2002, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member
New Jersey

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by crumbedbrains
OK,
Next, just more of the same working down the body of the frog . .defining the "stretch marks" (sorry 'bout that term! ) under the throat and the other bumps 'n' hollows (lovely skin eh? . .he he).

Also progressed down the arms here. Underpainting of Chrome Green Light with scumbling of Hookers Green for the darker patches overlain with white spots for the highlights. The toes were quite tedious getting the form right and there's still a way to go here (please be patient!), Again you'll see "scumbling" (is that the right term by the way??). There are other colours used here to . . tad yellow here, lighter green there. Raw Sienna, Raw Umber and Yellow Ochre are also used around the toes (I'm gettin' better at that naming colours bit too eh? )

Few more hours to go on this little fella!
Hope to hear from you real soon!!
Cheers
CB
Incredible lesson in shadowing and subtle dimension effect. Also ,it is very interesting how the whites give shine to the object. The detailed effects of wrinkles, etc, on the frog are interesting also ..
This is a great lesson for a beginner like me .. hehe. I will look at this thread over and over again ..
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2002, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Thanks very much to you all for looking . . and sticking with me on this one.
Sorry about the lack of progress over the last day or so . . I took a day off painting 'cause I get sick of looking at the same thing hours on end after a pretty solid week at my "real" job.

Few replies to comments:

Chelle - Grants? Money? Is someone giving away money for this sort of thing? Send me a link . . would love to find out more

Laurie - nope, dunno what's next and yes I've done some birds (rainbow lorikeets, cockatoos and kookaburras). In fact that's what I started doing when I switched from portraits to wildlife (Having said that, I 've only done about 16 or 17 paintings in my whole life!! . . . . and all in the past 18 months or so)

Jana & Birdie . .yeah right . . moi?? Freestyle?? You hit the nail on the head . . the lack of detail would drive me nuts!! Although I would love to try. . . seriously

Maverick . . Yeah I get dust too . .I try and keep it pretty clean but in the end I just get a kneadable eraser and pull it off the paper.

mmdm . . Yes I do sharpen my hard pastels with a file. I then use the dust created here as underpainting if appropriate.

Now . .onward we march . . not too much progression here (as I said I've had a day off) but basically the frog is now complete as is much of the painting. It is now staring and thinking time (ooooooohhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm) to establish final additons, adjustments, tone etc. What I'm thinking about here is

1. a bit more lichen directly under the frog (there's only one piece at present)
2. a couple of poorly defined dark distance leaves to add to the setting
3. few water droplets here and there
4. cropping the right to bring the frog back to one third from the right hand edge and reducing the brown leaf (having said that, the frog has certainly taken over the painting and I rarely look at the brown leaf anymore . .so maybe the rescue mission worked?)
5. the negative space top left (and whether a small vine or something should be up there)

SUGGESTIONS NOW PLEASE!!
Have a play with the image and post your suggested crop please.
I'll now post this in wildlife and critique forums also for opinions on same. Not over yet but getting close!!

Cheers
Crumby
Attached Images

#72   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2002, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Sorry for the blurry phot last post . . here's a close up
Thanks
Attached Images

#73   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2002, 05:11 AM
Enthusiast
Malta, Europe

Hails from Australia
I have been watching attentivley in the background, kinda like when I was at school, always at the back of the class. But now I have to speak out........THIS IS AN AWSOME PIECE!!!!!!!!
Great job crumbedbrains, you have alot of patience, I wish I had half of what you have, I am doing a still life and it seems like it is taking forever, but I am trying to slow myself down a bit and take my time more.
Great painting.......

Konica Minolta 7D
Photoshop
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2002, 07:23 AM
Lord of the Arts
Mexico

Hails from Mexico
I am so happy you did this! (I was the one that asked for the WIP) hehe, and you have no idea how HELPFUL this is to so many of us! I really appreciate it and it really is very very good for me to see the step by step progress!

Wondeful work! Thank you a hundred times over....

Laura
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2002, 09:54 AM
Lord of the Arts
South Louisiana, USA

Hails from United States
I'd only crop the blank bit off the left side to move the frog a bit more off-center. It would be a shame to crop any of the rest after all that work