Thanks very much to you all for looking . . and sticking with me on this one.
Sorry about the lack of progress over the last day or so . . I took a day off painting 'cause I get sick of looking at the same thing hours on end after a pretty solid week at my "real" job.
Few replies to comments:
Chelle - Grants? Money? Is someone giving away money for this sort of thing? Send me a link . . would love to find out more
Laurie - nope, dunno what's next and yes I've done some birds (rainbow lorikeets, cockatoos and kookaburras). In fact that's what I started doing when I switched from portraits to wildlife (Having said that, I 've only done about 16 or 17 paintings in my whole life!!
. . . . and all in the past 18 months or so)
Jana & Birdie . .yeah right . . moi?? Freestyle?? You hit the nail on the head . . the lack of detail would drive me nuts!! Although I would love to try. . . seriously
Maverick . . Yeah I get dust too . .I try and keep it pretty clean but in the end I just get a kneadable eraser and pull it off the paper.
mmdm . . Yes I do sharpen my hard pastels with a file. I then use the dust created here as underpainting if appropriate.
Now . .onward we march . . not too much progression here (as I said I've had a day off) but basically the frog is now complete as is much of the painting. It is now staring and thinking time (ooooooohhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm) to establish final additons, adjustments, tone etc. What I'm thinking about here is
1. a bit more lichen directly under the frog (there's only one piece at present)
2. a couple of poorly defined dark distance leaves to add to the setting
3. few water droplets here and there
4. cropping the right to bring the frog back to one third from the right hand edge and reducing the brown leaf (having said that, the frog has certainly taken over the painting and I rarely look at the brown leaf anymore . .so maybe the rescue mission worked?)
5. the negative space top left (and whether a small vine or something should be up there)
SUGGESTIONS NOW PLEASE!!
Have a play with the image and post your suggested crop please.
I'll now post this in wildlife and critique forums also for opinions on same. Not over yet but getting close!!