WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2002, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Well, I've stuffed up here (knew this would happen . . just knew it! )

I started blocking in this damned leaf with a tissue and absolutely hated it.

"No, no,no . . maybe it's because I haven't done any detail yet . . yeah . . that's it . . . that's why it looks stupid. Keep plughing on, it'll look fine in the end . . besides . . people are watching!!" AARRGGHH!!

(busy, busy busy on detail from bottom up . . from bottom up?? why the hell are you doin' that!!)

Nope, still hate it . . . still looks stupid (what am I gonna tell the folks at WC!?!?). This is gonna get embarrasing!! . . nad real slow . . I can see a few nights just staring at this now

Crumby
Attached Images

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2002, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Lets give 'em a close up of your "handywork"

Onto nicer things though . . Thanks for lookin' guys and gals (Now you gotta stick with me here 'cause I'm losin' it!!)

Jakeally: soon it'll be less . .less . . less!!!lol

Karen . . FUN? . .FUN? Alright for you! LOL I'm dyin' here!! LOL Nice way to put it though . . "I love the dynamics of a mid-piece change" LOL . .wish I could talk like that! (I'm pretty simple )

Charles: You were sure right about that leaf!! LOL. . . . . . .Hey, and I DID go to your website the other day but forgot to mention it before . . I like your work buddy!!

Birdie . . don't ask me how to bookmark something . .I wouldn't have a clue . . Hope someone else does. . . . CAN ANYBODY OUT THERE HELP BIRDIE!?!?!? . . there, that should fix that problem! LOL . . . About the famous bit . . I'm workin' on it!! LOL . . . oh yeah . . . my tinyhead name? . . . . got to get to know you better

Slowdown . .You got some Aussie in you, MATE?? Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!

Catch you when I revive from my depression!
CB
Attached Images

#33   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2002, 09:50 AM
Lord of the Arts
Oregon

Hails from United States
Jeeze! Rembrandt.....uh...I mean ....C.Brains!
Thank goodness you made a boo-boo ......I was beginning to wonder if you were human!
I do believe that Rembrandt himself made a whole bunch of boo-boos! He would paint over and over and over the same painting.....each time covering up the last one...phew!
Sounds like you're about to pop!
Besides all that..... I don't see the boo-boo.....I figure this is a WORK IN PROGRESS.....eh?
You're doing beautifully!
jana
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2002, 12:43 PM
Enthusiast
France

Hails from France
WIP Frog 2

Don't panic... you are doing fine.. you may have far to go, perhaps, nevertheless... have a little more confidence. You are too hard on yourself. The dead leaf for the moment looks a bit too larger than the others.. may be because it is a close up. I am sure eventually you will put every thing in place as in a jig saw puzzle...every body is sympathetic and wishing you well... and thanks for looking up my website.

Charles
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2002, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
3rd planet from the sun

Hails from United States
wow this is looking very good,i can't wait to see it finished.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2002, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Rescue operation

OK,
Hi everyone (if your still watching??)

I'm over my depression . . stood there and looked at this "thing" for hours as I knew I was only going to get one crack at this 'cause the pastel in this area was getting quite thick.

I didn't mind the bottom of the dried leaf too much and could nearly live with that . . but I wanted to now take the focus off it as I thought it was going to dominate and draw the eye away from the focal point (which is exactly the opposite of what I wanted to do if you remember! )

I had battled on a bit further with the top of this leaf since the last time you saw it but luckily I'd left the middle basically as an underpainting. So if I was going to do anything it would have to be here.

Thus . . . I've decided to push it back into the painting by putting a couple of long slender green leaves across the top of it here. This I thought would have a double impact of (a) reducing the amount of orange-brown (dried leaf) whilst tying the painting together with green in this area and (b) the direction of the long leaves would point the viewers eye back into the painting.

I've done these types of leaves before and they're very easy . . just blending in the direction of the leaf with tones delineating the contours both sides of the central vein. A bit of leaf damage and . . done. The new green leaf in the (poor quality) photo below took about 10-15 minutes. The beauty of this idea (for me anyway) was that not only did I get to cover up the dead leaf by the width of the new leaf . . . but I could put a shadow below it thus subduing the dead leaf even further.

Dunno . . .I guess I'm happier with it now . . but I'm not overly excited about it either.

Whatdyareckon??
Cheers
Crumbedbrains
Attached Images

#37   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2002, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Continued rescue

Then I added another coming from below. Again it adds more greenery, allows me to have a more shadow on the brown leaf and directs the viewer into the painting.

This also blends in pretty well with the plan I originally had in that you'll see a couple more of this long slender leaves have been sketched in right from day 1 (both entering from the same vicinity; a shorter one pointing at the frog and a longer one going above the frog but behind the branch).

These leaves normally occur in bunches such as these so the added ones won't look too out of place (hopefully!! )

I'll draw in these other two and then review. I'm still a little undecided now about the bottom right hand corner but the image as a whole is not bothering me as much. It might still be OK.

This is hard work doing these WIP's!! I never realised. . . but I appreciate the support you guys give me . . it's quite comforting.

Hope I'm not boring you all with my ramblings (quite welcome to send a private message and tell me if you think so . . I've got thick skin so I won't be offended!!)

Cheers
Crumbedbrains
Attached Images

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2002, 11:09 AM
Lord of the Arts
Oregon

Hails from United States
AAAAAAAAH! There ya go buddy!.....I had no doubts.
You have taught me that I can work with an unplanned piece of image.
thank you,
jana
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2002, 11:18 AM
Resting in Peace
NE Georgia, USA

Hails from United States
CB.... this promises to be another stunner when you've completed it... and putting aside your anxiety and panic attacks, your work is exceptional... That's what you joined WC for... all of us have had panics, blocks, painters' anxiety, stress from putting your inner self in living color onscreen... and all of us are here not just to cheer you on, but to offer answers when you ask a question or request a critique... Your work is just beautiful... Can't wait to see this froggie done...

#40   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2002, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Stanwood Washington

Hails from United States
Thumbs up outstanding

What an outstanding save.....I am so glad you are sharing you stresses and struggles, I tend to give up on painting that aren't going as planned.

birdie
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2002, 11:33 AM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Thumbs up

Boring us????....NO WAY This is one of the most interesting WIP I have seen. Thanks so much for taking the time to do it
I didn't think there was anything wrong with your brown leaf but now you have the extra leaves in there it really does help to give depth to the painting.
Thanks for explaining how to do these leaves...I am off to practice now
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2002, 06:00 PM
Immortalized
Iowa

Hails from United States
Bored!!! Never!!!!

this is fascinating to watch come to life as u work on it. Getting writers cramp as I write down how u are doing it for future reference for me...hope u dont mind. (actually its a copy/paste into microsoft) LOL . How many hrs have u got in it now? I am definitly looking forward to more posts as it progresses. All I can say is WOW WOW WOW!!! Great Job!!!!!

Laurie
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2002, 01:37 AM
S E Qld, Australia

Hails from Australia
This is looking great. This whole WIP is so entertaining. My sister and I have come to WC just to see what the latest is. I can't actually what you were stressing about with the dead leaf. It looks/looked fine to me, but I'm glad you think you made a boo boo because, I too was beginning to wonder if you were human. I think I'd love to be a perfectionist like this and do work like this, but I don't think I'd have the patience! Just imagine how I'd feel if, after something like this is finished I sprayed it with cream paint!?!?!
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2002, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Thanks everyone for looking and sticking with me on this one.
Sorry the photos were so dark in the last post or two . .didn't realise

Laurie: don't mind at all . .that's what I'm doing it for . .and why I like WC . . so we can all share in our experiences, techniques and thus all benefit . .believe me, I'm benefiting as much as anyone here as it is interesting to actually put down the thought processes as I'm painting . . forces you to make decisions not solely based on gut feel . . but to actually explain why you did something to someone else? . . .particularly fellow artists . . . (making a mental note to add more thinking time to my paintings!!).

Chelle: You're a classic, girl!! I still can't get over the fact that you used cream spray paint (albeit accidentally) as a quasi fixative!!LOL . . but then carried on with the painting undeterred!!LOL Classic! PS Any more marriage proposals come your way? mmm (gotta know my competition! lol)

Sorry no updates this time round
I'll get back to the easel
Cheers
Crumedbrains
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2002, 10:49 AM
A WC! Legend
Perth Western Australia

Hails from Australia
Thumbs up

OMG You da man!
Awesome colours too.