WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2002, 11:14 AM
Lord of the Arts
Mexico

Hails from Mexico
Thank you! I am loving this! I really appreciate that you went ahead and did this! It is truely awesome to see how you are able to do something like this. Very inspirational.

Thanks again!
Laura
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2002, 11:59 AM
Lord of the Arts
Oregon

Hails from United States
Aloha! C.Brains!
I love your art! Thank you for sharing it!
jana
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2002, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Thanks for looking Karen, Charles, Laura and Jana,
I'ts been quiet on the boards lately . . one poor WC user logged in yesterday and found only 2 WC users were logged in . .and he was one of them!! . . . others must have a life eh? lol

Well I'm just plugging away here and getting frustrated with my camera which obviously cannot take close-ups . .so again sorry for the quality.

I've now done the lowest leaf . . . the photo here is really washed out/overexposed . . . tried to get the image here that this leaf has its "shoulders" back (er . . "chest" forward) . . thought I had achieved that until my brother walks by and did his 1 second critique (don't think he actually stopped walking!) . ."That leaf's c**p!" . . oh well . . that's family! lol

Might put a couple of water drops on this leaf later but I'll assess overall busy-ness when I've got the general scheme down (told ya I work haphazardly!)

When I had done the leaf, I used a pencil eraser and cleared the area for the vine (it was gettin' a bit thick but got most of it off). Did the first pass of the vine with three colours . .don't ask me to name them . . OK light green, medium green and dark green tehe! ) Little or no light green in the areas of shadow and still need to get the dappled light feel on this vine yet.
Attached Images

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2002, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
I'm a likin' lichen!

In this one I've dappled the light on the vine, put the vines roots on and added lichen.

The dappling is just a matter of making the highlights on the vine are intermittent . . . easy as.

Next I put on the roots of the vine . . they're a bit hard to see but they look like orange spiders on my monitor . . these roots actually grow out from the side of the vine and cling onto the tree . .I've got some in my backyard so it was easy to grab a piece and bring it on in. I tried to make sure that these tiny roots also had a lit side and a shadow side and that areas in dappled light were lighter than those in shadow . . the shadow actually cuts across the one below the top leaf.

Next comes the good bit . . lichen!!
Folks, there's a whole new jungle out there that's less than an inch high but I love drawing it . . really sets of a piece . . If lichen grew as tall as bushes I'd have a garden full of it!! (Am I getting carried away??) Anyway I've only drawn one type of lichen here . .that leafy greenish grey that grows in bubbly circles (technical eh?). BTW I can name the colour here . . Green Earth . . it's THE ONLY colour for this stuff . .I've used tints 2 through to 5. The trick here I think is to get the perspective right (imagine wrapping a circular disk around a tree) . . . circular from front on but elliptical as it wraps around the sides. Again, light tints in dappled sunlight and darker ones in shadow. Few highlights where the leafy bits stick up and catch the light. Another thing . . let the crevices in the bark cut through the lichen . .that looks realistic.

Finally I've added a few yellows, redbrowns and oranges to the mid tones on the branch (just below the frogs toes)
Attached Images

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2002, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Here's the VERY blurry close-up . . do not adjust your screen. . but it gives the idea. (brother walked passed . . . mmmm . . . "like that" . . . . he must be gettin' soft!!)
Cheers Crumbedbrains

PS can someone get rid of that doubled up post way back when . . it's drivin' me nuts!!
Attached Images

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2002, 05:53 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Paducah, Kentucky

Hails from United States
crumbedbrains...OMG...I don't care what your brother says.....this is looking absolutely fabulous!!!!

Your write up is just superb.....more, more, more! Please...

Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. (Stella Adler 1901 - 1992)
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2002, 11:07 PM
A WC! Legend
Tiger, GA

Hails from United States
I'm just watching with bated breath....is that a good thing??!!! waiting on the next image...LOL. So know that you do have an audience. This would make a great published article if you wanted to put it together after you get the painting all finished!!
carly

(Took care of the duplicate for you)

Last edited by CarlyHardy : 08-11-2002 at 11:10 PM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2002, 11:20 AM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Thank you so much for doing this crumbedbrains. I am enjoying every minute of it.
Wonderful work so far...can't wait for the next picture
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2002, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Thanks for looking Karen & Chris and THANK YOU Carly for gettin' rid of that pesky post!!

Well weekends over and this is gonna slow down a bit now (Got a REAL job too! )

I've added the leaf at the back to provide some depth to the painting . . I want this leaf to be subdued with less detail and maybe a lost edge or two. No fancy rendering here.

WHOA!! Look at that colour! . . . it is nothing like that in real life! where did that irridescent yellow come from???? Damn camera

I've also added some yellow (OK Raw Sienna . . am I getting better?) and redbrown (Burnt Umber?) to the bark just below the frogs toes. This is one of those lichen that just seems to stain the bark . . no texture.
Attached Images

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2002, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Dead leaf

I'm having a re-think about the composition now (This is where it gets scary doin' a WIP!! . . I just don't know how this is going to turn out.

I'm figuring I want something fairly large but realtively subdued in the lower right so if your eye wanders,you look . . say yeah, dead leaf, . . . and move back to the focal point (scary when you've gotta put your thoughts out there!!)

Also want to tighten up the right hand side of the painting so the leaves I had sketched there will move to the left a bit or get lost altogether. So . . . went and stole a big dead leaf from a crows nest fern in the garden and pegged it to my masonite board. It was a bit too curled for my liking so another peg was needed to pin it in the shape I wanted . . .then sketched it. Photo is taken from the angle I was sketching from so it gives a rough idea of what I'm aiming for. . . it'll fall in front of another branch you can see I've blocked in using a tissue. Don't know why I chose such a contorted leaf . . this is gonna be HHHAARRRRDD!! . . sucker for punishment I guess.

OH Yeah, that back leaf looks a lot better in this photo . . more subdued.

Hope to talk to you soon
Crumbedbrains
Attached Images

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2002, 05:48 PM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Wow Just awsome.....I can't think of anything else to say except More...more...more
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2002, 06:16 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Paducah, Kentucky

Hails from United States
Re: Dead leaf

Quote:
Originally posted by crumbedbrains
I'm having a re-think about the composition now (This is where it gets scary doin' a WIP!! . . I just don't know how this is going to turn out.....

No....this is the FUN part!! I find myself doing this all the time. I start with one idea and the next thing I know....something changes, then something else. I love the dynamics of mid-piece change! It definitely keeps ya on your toes!

This is looking outstanding...I am in awe of your ability to create such realism in your work!

Ditto...Chris....more, more, more!

Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. (Stella Adler 1901 - 1992)
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2002, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast
France

Hails from France
wip frog No;2

You have added a leaf that disappear into the darkness. Good, that gives another dimension. Your lichens have come out well. I went through John Agnew's website. His are acrylic, but it is undoubtedly more difficult to get that effect in pastel, but nevertheless, you are doing marvellously well... You have certainly selected a difficult object. Perhaps a leaf not so dry with a yellow edge may have been better......!

Charles

Last edited by Charles Perera : 08-12-2002 at 06:21 PM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2002, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Stanwood Washington

Hails from United States
Thumbs up this is wonderful

Crumbedbrains this is wonderful....thank you for doing this. now I have to figure out how to book mark this so I have it for ref. I am one that has to read and re-read before I can apply it.....

I would truly love to see one of your painting in person.....hurry and get famous and write a book and tour and give workshop in the USA..O' Am I asking to much?

P.S....Can I ask you a question? (I am going to anyway HE HE HE) Where did your site name (I guess you call them ) "Crumbedbrains" come from? If you don't want to answer that's fine...

Birdie
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2002, 12:31 AM
Enthusiast
Malta, Europe

Hails from Australia
Your work is just AWSOME, and its great to see your WIP.
Keep it commin mate, I cant wait to see it finnished!!!!!

Konica Minolta 7D
Photoshop