WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2009, 02:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
Re: Reverie - WIP

Just about done, except for some nitpiks from you all. Today is a dark, dreary day and not easy to photograph this - there is more pink in the clouds and the water, but none of the red tones are showing up true. The white ripples in the reflections are not that bright - just my flash making them so. If we get a better day this week, I'll take a photo outside.

So, hammer away -

#47   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast
Kailua Kona, HI

I realy like the colours, there are a couple things I "see" that are a bit flat. These of course may be the photo, but... the left land mass Id like to see a bit more variation of contrasts, to me (in my humble opinion) seems flat. the right land mass waterline, id like to see a bit more variation to break up the "line." also since you have water highlights across the surface, maybe a slight more horizontal water distortion of the trees reflection may realy sell the water. the distant horizon seems a bit dark and unbroken. all in all my eye seems to wander around a bit looking for somthing to lock in on, maybe a couple highlights to pull me more towards the sun....

Over all this is a great piece and absolutly LOVE the colours, the things I commented on are by no way distractions from this piece, they are the first inital impressions I got when viewing for the first time. Cant wait to see your final solution, great painting....

www.richardmolinaart.com
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oegstgeest

Hails from Netherlands

Fascinating process Kat, love it. Just a few observations, but don't take them too seriously as I am not really a landscape painter. Indeed the land on the left seems a bit flat, but what catches my eyes most are the blue lines on the left between the bushes and the water. The depth is amazing, that is what I find most fascinating in a landscape painting. Maybe the water near the horizon again on the left should be greyed down a bit to get the depth at that side as well. Just some thoughts. Love the overall effect and the colours of it. Great.

My website: www.marinabuis.nl
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2009, 05:04 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Richard and Marina - thanks for looking and commenting.

Indeed, that area on the left has bothered me - the value seems a bit dark and I tried to vary it a bit, but it doesn't show in the photo. It does need some work.

Good catch on the horizon line being too dark - that's an easy fix. But the fact that both of you are not seeing a solid focal point is troubling, so I'll have to go back to the drawing board and see what I can cook up. I thought the light in the trees on the right strong enough, but maybe not.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2009, 07:42 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

I kind of like the left side like it is, Kat. If it's not meant to be the focal point should there be much detail or clarity of form there? Since it's a land mass in the shade I wouldn't expect to see much there. My eyes go right to the highlights on the trees - if you must tweak perhaps just a few tiny spots of brightness?

Donna
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2009, 08:06 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Donna - in a way I agree with your assessment too. No details to distract from the focal point of the trees, but it is also to dark in value and that dark is distracting.

Stay tuned y'all.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2009, 09:30 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Kat, you know I like it a lot! The trees on the right-hand side are still drawing my eye as the focal area, including the reflections. Personally, I think the dark corner on the left is working, because it's simple enough to let the painting spread out beyond it. Just MHO, of course. It isn't realism, after all!

One trend to look out for is the highlights in the water that from top to bottom seem to be at too-equal intervals. A quick fix once you see it.

You're almost there. Less is more, but a little more is needed. Don't rush but keep going...!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Enthusiast
West Virginia Panhandle

Hails from United States

Kat this is so cool to watch you go through the steps i love the colors you choose. The `1/3 rule that i read about works here for hues. I wish that we could see a progression all together when your done it would be very interesting to see.
http://betsyspastels.blogspot.com/
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2009, 07:07 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Deb - thanks for the "push" - I need that at this point in the painting. I'm really tired of looking at it!

Betsy - I could do a progression for you once it's done.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2009, 10:43 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

I finally finished on this one. I incorporated some of the suggestions while keeping my own vision intact. The blue lines in the water are not that light - my camera kept picking them up even though I did darken them in the painting. It's not quite as saturated as you see it on WC.

Thanks for following this thread - I shall post a progression a bit later.

#56   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Resting in Peace

Hails from United States

Lovely finish, Kat.

Pat
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast
Tampa, FL

Hails from United States

WOW... bet this is stunning in person! I really love those two trees leaning out of the left bank... they seem to have personality!
Nice job on the progression of this painting. Your patience and hard work has paid off! I ususally get frustrated and end up ruining a painting when I keep changing it.

beautiful!
susan
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2009, 11:41 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

You sure did finish this beautifully, Kat. I guess when you have a vision you are obligated to see it through to the end. I really like what you did with that left bank. You kept the value mostly the same but added some interest with a variety of dark colors. I need to remember to do that in dark areas. So, what kind of frame does this beauty get?

Donna
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2009, 11:42 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Good finish, Kat!

Hey, let us see the painting on the easel, if you can get a shot at some point. I bet that will show us things we can't see any other way, like the scale and the the light in it. Just an idea...

I'm glad you kept after this one! It's definitely a winner, and it shows your signature style. There, now you know you have a style all your own: bold color, strong simplified elements, good value contrast, and a touch that is painterly.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Resting in Peace
Syracuse, NY

Hails from Costa Rica

This is more than a progression, it's the evolution of Reverie!
Good think you did not give up!