WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 06:47 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
Reverie - FINISHED

The one thing I am constantly battling is repetitive shapes. I can do sketches and still half-way through a painting I find my shapes are getting repetitive.

So, this time I am uploading an image of the current painting in progress with outlines of new shapes for you all to look at. Apparently, I am blind to this sort of thing and I need your help.

The scene I am painting is from a photograph and so help me ... the tree shapes tend to be the same, so I am changing things in the photo to make a better painting. It is more saturated in color than IRL because I wanted those yellow outlines to show up.

Uart paper mounted on matboard, watercolor underpainting, Mount Vision pastels with a smidgeon of Great American and Ludwigs.

Last edited by Kathryn Wilson : 01-04-2009 at 08:01 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Resting in Peace

Hails from United States
Re: Frustrated With Myself - WIP

This is going to be a wonderful painting, Kat. I think by the looks of it you have solved your problem. I understand where you are coming from as it is so easy to make them all alike and you have to consciously make them different.

Pat
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 07:08 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

LOL - Pat, thanks. I get so excited working with the color that I forget about the rest of the stuff, then I step back and see it all .... grrrrr
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 07:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I think your suggested variations of the shapes are fine, but I don't think that repeating shapes is so very bad, especially in a scene where the trees are of the same type and clearly have a common growth habit. However, you can change other aspects. For instance, in this one you could you could exaggerate the overall scale of things to enhance the composition (and I'm showing this as another composition, NOT necessarily any kind of improvement, okay?):

I just exaggerated the scale, enlarging the foreground trees and shrinking the most distant ones, changing your painting entirely, I know.

In other words, when the shapes should remain repetitive to serve the painting, vary some other aspect of the painting, that's all... Sometimes I enhance the contrast, or color, or light, or line, or edges...any of the aspects of composition.

Does that make sense? Does it even address the situation?

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 07:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Yes, it does! I like those two trees in the background ... just what this needed.

I was thinking about varying the color of the background trees anywho ... so that solves the problem, and I like your choice of color too.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 07:55 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

I like this composition, Kat, and Deborah's suggestions make sense too. I find the rounded tree shapes very soothing, and entirely natural looking. You could always insert a dead tree if you really felt the need for a spikey, non-round shape or some vertical interest.

Donna
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 08:00 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Thanks Donna! I plan on some sky holes and branches showing ... I just got the willies seeing all those same shapes across the horizon.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 09:07 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
Re: Reverie - WIP

I just named this painting - if you can suggest a better one, I'd love to hear some ideas.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Enthusiast
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Sitting back waiting to see the masterpiece that you will no doubt produce. I think this will be beautiful. I like it already.

Ronda
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 05:47 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Thanks for your vote of confidence that I can pull this off -
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Enthusiast
Sun City, Arizona

Hails from United States

I just look on in awe..... I have yet to do a landscape that pleased me and I think this one is gorgeous... yellow lines and all! LOL Donna R.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Thanks Donna - I actually did this twice on the painting and used dark lines the first time - they were kinda attractive and I might think of using them on another painting, but not on this one!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Resting in Peace
Syracuse, NY

Hails from Costa Rica

Kathryn,
Nice landscape you have going here. The colors are just wonderful. It's not the shapes that I find repetitive, but the number of trees/group (I see 2, 2, 2...) You've been given good suggestions. I hope you post the finished piece.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 06:44 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

aha! 2 x 2 ... never even occurred to me. See that's why I uploaded and needed more people to really look.

Thanks Adriana, I shall certainly do some updates.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2009, 11:55 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Okay, I am at a stopping place and thought I'd upload another image. An hour ago, you would not have thought I could have saved this painting - neither did I!

I totally scrubbed out everything but the sky, fixed it with water and it was totally grey. I thought, well, this should be a challenge to bring it back. At the panic stage, I started blocking in again and this version emerged.

And they say paintings don't take over and paint themselves - it was talking to me, saying you can do better! And I am happier with it at this point. C&C, but it's not finished by a long shot.