WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2008, 01:41 AM
Lord of the Arts
Wales

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: knockonafrin landscape Wip

oh WOW mary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amazing absolutely amazing
so beautifully stunning,lovely to see you back and to be seeing your beautiful work again.
can't wait to see more
Thank you for doing this WIP

Veronica
http://veronicasart.blogspot.com/
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Hi all,
This is where I am at now. Take no notice of the smodge under the pines or the tree under it. Will go back and work there. Well, I am about to cross over the dirt track and back up the hill. So far this has been hard work
But I have to say that I am enjoying it. It must be an addiction no matter how hard I try, I can't resist putting in the smallest of details.

Cindy: It is a glorious place. I just hope I do it justice. It is just about 12 miles away from me.

*Violet* Thats my middle name....." DETAIL" I would love to be able to paint loose. And congratulations to you on winning best of show with your Water Lilles

Veronica: You are so kind with your commments as always. I do hope that I show the different stages in such a way that you can see what I am doing. Please feel free to ask for explanations. I am not the best with words but will do my best.

Thank you all.......... I think I have only one day left to complete my chalange
Mary Brigid
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Lord of the Arts
Wales

Hails from United Kingdom

WOW mary,those bushes and trees are so beautiful in their colours
this is looking so life like
Amazing work mary,amazing, outstanding!!!
can't wait to see more

Veronica
http://veronicasart.blogspot.com/
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Enthusiast
Lexington Kentucky USA

Hails from England

Mary, you're teasing and tantalising us by showing us bits at a time!

I bet I'm not the only one on tenterhooks waiting to se the finished picture!

The trees are excellent, and I love the way you've lightened the wire fence to contrast it against the bushes - inspired.

My Website
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2008, 08:41 PM
A Local Legend
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

inspiring ... yep ... that's what you are !! ...

#36   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Thank you Veronica, Johnny and *Violet* Ye are too kind.

Well I am almost there. But I feel anything but inspired right now. I have one spot that is driving me crazy. I have left it with just the purple underpainting. I can't decide if I should add a large tree or not. It might bring the painting together. I am open to suggestions. I have been working on this for hours today. And now I can't see it anymore
Thank you for looking..... C/C very very welcome
Sorry about the poor quality of the photo. I had to take it with a flash as it is night time here. I then adjusted the colours as near to RL as I could.
Mary Brigid
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2008, 06:26 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi Mary,

It's kind of difficult to offer advise to someone who paints landscapes as good as you, but what I feel is that some darker values on some parts of the bushes might help ?
I also think that the distant mounts might have a bluer tone (but not much).
It kind of seems that someone used a flooding light on that landscape.
About the purple part, I don't know...first I thought about showing another bit of the path, but then it might turn it a bit "vertical", so lets wait for other's opinions; placing a tree there may drag the viewer's attention too much.
Lets not forget that we usually look from left to right (with the exception of those who write from right to left, if I'm not mistaken) and to put something on the right to draw attention, may be or may be not a good thing.
It all depends to what the artist wants top draw the atention.
Well, it was quite an effort to try to critique a good work, I need to go eat something :-)

Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Enthusiast
Lexington Kentucky USA

Hails from England

Mary, this is looking fantastic! The depth is really good with the distant mountain fading into the sky.

As for the purple part - heather, perhaps?

Do you need it?

If not, why not just leave it out and just continue with shrubs or a rocky outcrop instead? Maybe a continuaton of grassland with part a cottage put in it's place?

I think I like the thought of a cottage so the path has a place to go to?

In fact, let your imagination run wild!

Only suggestions

My Website
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Jose : Thank you so much for your comments. You flatter about my landscape painting
Jose as it is night time here I took the photo with a flash and a daylight bulb on in studio. Hence the reason why the land is so flood lit
Thank you for pointing out that I need to put some darks in the bushes. I took the photo and greyscaled it and could spot the areas.
So far Jose my eyes are drawn to the fence and then Knockonafrin itself .... that is the mountain that is almost pyramid in shape.
So perhaps I should just allow the land to just slope donw and not put much more there!

Johnny: Thank you so much. I would have liked to have achieved my distance a whole lot bette. But I hope to learn with each painting.
Johnny this is a well known local scene. As much as I like the idea of the cottage I can't put one there. People would be complaining to the planning officers I think I will continue with the grasslands.

Thank you all
Mary Brigid
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2008, 07:22 PM
A Local Legend
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

hi mary ... it's lovely where you've taken this !! ... as for suggestions for that area, how about simply adding a couple more of the same colour bushes/trees that are on the left of the tree, onto the right of the tree letting that tree be the place of interest our eye rests upon at that side of the painting ... up that road ... to only wonder what else might be up that path .... beyond that tree ... ??? ...

#41   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2008, 08:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Looks good, Mary Brigid! I'm not surprised at all that you've carried this off in such a short time. You may be all finished with it, but if you haven't resolved things here are some ideas...

I did a digital fill-in of your purple area, to suggest something like this:
I'd continue the context of the bushes and material that's already there.

The end of the road that might need a touch or two. I'd narrow and slightly flatten it (certainly better than I have here... ), and maybe bring more of that darker bush up over it, too. You want that visual punch at the end of the pathway and the dark does it for me (as far as I can tell from this shot.)

There's a streak of light just in front of a row of trees on the right-hand side in the middle distance that seems overly warm and distracting. If it's that light and warm in real life, I'd cool and slightly gray it down. In fact, I might shove some bushes up into that streak to break the straight line of it.

I love the colors of the mountains and the sense of distance. It's quite lovely and you should be very happy to sign and frame it!

Hope that helps...

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2008, 08:33 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

Mary, The path is gorgeous and the overall colors are also beautiful. Other than what the others have said, I have no other critique.

I truly think it's a beautiful piece and you have done a fabulous job with such a complicated subject.

Sign it, frame it....it's beautiful!

Paula
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ireland

Hails from Ireland

*Violet*: Thank you so much for your suggestions.... I think it is the way to go. .

Deborah: Thank you for doing the digital fill in. I will also try and flatten the road..... If i can't it won't be noticed ......... I hope
And I see that distracting line you are talking about under the trees. Will tweek that also...... Now off I go to my bed and will arise early to meet my deadlne. I am thrilled you like it..... I am not pleased with it right now... Maybe I rushed too much for me to enjoy the process.
Thank you so much
Mary Brigid
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Hi Paula, I almost missed you. Thank you so much for looking...I am very happy that you like it. Will tweak it and post it finnished tomorrow.
Mary Brigid
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2008, 06:46 AM
Lord of the Arts
Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Hi all
All done and dusted. I finnised this in the early hours of the morning. The colours are nearer the finnished painting as I took the photo in daylight. Unfortunatly it is a very dull grey day this morning and the darks are showing darker. Especially the highest crop of trees...
I would have liked more time to tweek a bit more... but it is being framed as I write this. A big thank you to you all
Mary Brigid