WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast
Southern Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Welcome to Fiber Arts! Please introduce yourself!!

Greetings! Happy to see this inspiring and informative forum take shape!

I was taught to sew at the age of five, by my grandmother who had a treadle machine. I was finally allowed to use an electric one at age ten, but by then, I was making all my own play clothes. I got serious about sewing after that, and made clothing for myself for years, aceing the required Home Economics Sewing course in high school. Fast forward a few years, and I am making clothing for my four children, and polyester spots coats for my dh. Then, I lost interest in sewing, trying all sorts of other crafts. I've dabbled in lots of different ones, mostly whatever the trend was, at the moment. After the kids grew up, I fell ill for a number of years, finally having a life-saving double-lung transplant Jan. 3, 2006. Since getting my life back (and the kids are grown and moved out), I have found renewed interest in crafts and sewing. Currently, I am working on machine needle art and on jewelry making.

I look forward to being inspired here!

Life is like playing a violin in public and learning the instrument as one goes on ~Samuel Butler
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2007, 01:39 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy*
After the kids grew up, I fell ill for a number of years, finally having a life-saving double-lung transplant Jan. 3, 2006.

Good grief! Bless you! What a difficult journey. We're thrilled to have you with us and healthy again. Looking forward to seeing your creations Sylvia. I remember you from wearable arts and possibly mixed media(?).

Li

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Immortalized
sometimes Texas/sometimes Colorado

Hails from United States
Smile Re: Welcome to Fiber Arts! Please introduce yourself!!

Wow! I just ran into this forum... I have several interest: besides drawing, painting and encaustic. I quilt, crochet, macramae( mostly jewlery and religious themes), sew, embroidery. I have not used fiber into my art yet, but as many new ideas I have written down I may have to try.

This is so wonderful, Thanks for whom ever thought of this!!!!!!
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2007, 04:34 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

Welcome Tammy! Can't wait to see your work.

Li

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Cottonwood, Az

Hails from United States

Hi all,

My name's Kat and I'm an addict. My DH has had me banned from all the local fiber stores and most of those within a 50 mile radius. I have to sneak my eBay fiber purchases past him and into the "do it" room. My yarn, fabric and bead collections have been likened to the "tribble" problem on the Enterprise and the Energizer bunny. It just keeps going and going...

I got started hand sewing ornaments and crocheting around the age of five or so. Since then I've tried just about everything you can do with a piece of string and a sharp pointy thing, including archery. Some of my current interests are weaving, knitting (machine and frame), crochet (there's a plethora of pregnancies amongst my friends and baby blankets are pouring out of my house), painting (acrylic and watercolor), lampwork (those are my beads in my avatar), quilting and chasing my 8 month old baby boy around the house. The baby takes most of my time these days, so most of my projects are very slow to get finished and a few are slow to get started!

I'm so glad I have a place to check out everyone's creativity with fiber!
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Lehigh Valley, PA

Hails from United States

Hi to all, I am so thrilled with this forum.
I have been a fabric collector all my life, even though for years I did not have a sewing machine and still can barely sew a straight line with correct tension.
I knit straight scarves. I can't crochet - the working loop on the hook gets big enough to rope cattle. I did cross stitch in college - to offset the pressure of the classes, as I lost focus as soon as I graduated. I am in the middle of a rag quilt and a stenciled wreath on a square of fabric.
Wheat I'm about to dive into is silk painting. I dyed a few scarves a few years back, and now that my husband and I own our own home, I have more room to work, as well as my own washer and dryer.
My goal this weekend was to have my husband help me build a stretcher frame for the few blank scarves I have left to paint. I did the first few ironed onto freezer paper, and that is a rather unsatisfactory way to work if you want to do any more than washes of color. At least, for me that's all I can make work in that way.
I also have a couple of doll patterns that I want to use.
I'll post my initial attempts down the line.

http://www.xanga.com/neuwifeblogs
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2007, 05:28 AM
Enthusiast
UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Hello all! I'm Gail, and I've recently joined the mixed media forum which I'm enjoying. In the past I've made lots of different things from cloth dolls to a wedding dress, but haven't really done anything with a sewing machine for years although I have one hidden in the cupboard. I prefer to hand sew and I'm trying to find new ways of combining my love of paint & fabric so that I don't have to choose! I can't knit or crochet to save my life, but I'd like to learn how to needle felt - hint, hint!! Looking forward to learning lots of new skills with you lovely people.

Gail
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Stoneville, North Carolina

Hails from United States

Wow! just found this forum. I am a fiber junkie! I love to collect fabrics, a swatch here, a yard there. I have yet to find a way to put them to use. But I have tried crochet, wasn't good at it, machine knitting, weaving, and tapestry. But I found my place with punchneedle.

I look forward to reading this forum!

Carol M.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2007, 02:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

Welcome Carol, Kat, Gail and Stephanie. I'm anxious to see what you all do.
Stephanie~ my husband make all my silk frames. The commercial one are too expensive when all you really need is a few slabs of wood slapped together!

Hope to see work from all of you very soon! ( hint...hint)

Li

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2007, 02:28 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyart
...I am a fiber junkie! I love to collect fabrics, a swatch here, a yard there. I have yet to find a way to put them to use...
OK, you need to join the first-ever Fiber Arts forum project, right here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448070

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2007, 03:38 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Central Coast, NSW

Hails from Australia

I love this place already!

My name is Maxine... live in Australia... you can normally find me being quite silly in the glass arts forum!

My other passion (besides glass beads) is sewing, mainly vintage patterns, fabrics from the 40's 50's. I do love historical costuming also. I don't mind a bit of hand embroidery on clothes, & would love to have a go at lace making 'one of these days'.

I do bellydancing in my spare time (to get away from the house - I am a full time mum) and my next thing to do is to hand bead & make a bellydancing costume from scratch.

Here is an example of what I get up to...

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Stoneville, North Carolina

Hails from United States

Hey Maxine! I just rented a belly dance fitness DVD and gave it a try. What fun! But I am so sore! I wish I could find a class around here. At after I loss a few more pounds!
Carol m
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2007, 01:49 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations

What an interesting bunch we have in this forum already!

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Algoma, Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hello. I'm an art student at the University of Wisconsin--Green Bay which has a great Fiber/Textiles program. I'm currently taking Intro to Fiber/Textiles and wasn't quite sure what it would be about, however, I've been converted into a fiber artist suddenly and now I'm addicted! I'm enjoying knitting together things that weren't meant to be knitted at the moment. I'll post soon...

www.theeclipsegallery.com
www.visualinfluenceblog.com
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco Bay Area

Hails from United States

hi folks! my name is shirley, and I'm a fabric- and fiber-aholic! some of you might know me from the wearable art forum (despite the fact that i've been missing for quite awhile). i got a message about this new forum from rose queen and had to come right out here to take a look!

a bit about me and my above-stated addictions:

i started sewing when i was just a kidling. my mom's older sister was a professional sewer, and she and her husband owned a singer sewing machine store. they gave me a kid's hand-crank singer (which i really wish i still had!), and i made doll clothes with it. i took lessons when i was 10 at a local singer store, which was the foundation for the years in which i made most of my clothing (high school). i also did a bit of knitting and crocheting - a few scarves here and there.

after i got out of college (computer science major) i started doing crewel embroidery and latch-hook rug making. i moved to california from connecticut when i turned 22, and shortly thereafter i started messing around with quilting. i got completely addicted to fabric over the next several years and have built up quite a stash of yards, halves and fat quarters. i now consider myself a recovering quilter, since i don't do that anymore - although i still attend all the local quilt shows. and i still can't stay away from fabric! through all the years of my tech career, i think it was "creating stuff with my hands" that kept me sane.

in 1995, one of my co-workers held a lunch-time class in a conference room on how to make earrings with beads. that was the beginning of my obsession with beads, and i spent the next 4 years buying books and teaching myself how to make jewelry. i took a 2-day lampwork class at the end of 1999 and have been making glass beads ever since. you can see some of my beads in the Lark publication "1000 Glass Beads".

beads area a wonderful thing, but i had a strong yearning to get back to the textural world of fibers. i began making kumihimo braids a few years ago and found that beads and fiber are a wonderful combination! i've dyed a few silk scarves over the last 6 months, and a few months ago i taught myself how to crochet because this past weekend i was a vendor at "The Knit & Crochet Show" put on by CGOA and TKGA. i figured i'd better learn something about this stuff if i'm going to be hanging with the yarn folks. wouldn't you know it - i am now extremely hooked on crochet!! (no pun intended). at the show, i got to see first-hand some of the freeform work by the members of the international freeform crochet guild - holy cow!! that's my new goal in the world of fiber, i definitely want to experiment with that.

my tech team was laid off in 2003, and since then i have devoted all my time to my creative endeavours. beads and jewelry are my main business, but i'm most definitely getting more fiber in my diet!

that's it in a nutshell. i'm really looking forward to seeing all of your work out here on the forum as well as getting some great tips. hopefully i can help too.

Jumping Jack Glass... and Peanut too! / My Blog / My Main Etsy Shop