WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2007, 02:34 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States
Re: Welcome to Fiber Arts! Please introduce yourself!!

Pamela~ Beautiful collar! So delicate. Do post a WIP when the new computer is up for the challenge.

I'm not much for sewing or knitting so I hope to learn something for you all. Hoping to see some fiber sculpture in here too!

Li

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2007, 03:04 PM
A Local Legend
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Thanks Li....I'll definitely do some WIP's
I am really anxious to also get into fiber sculpture...either with felting or with silver wire and/or fabric. Just have to have some of these other projects finished before I tackle that! Hope some others will post theirs though...I would love to see them!
Col. 3:23
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2007, 05:42 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher
Hi everyone!
My name is Sher, and I crochet, knit and cross stitch. When can we get started posting pictures?
How about right now!

Pamela, I added your link to that lovely collar to our resources sticky thread!

Last edited by Rose Queen : 09-25-2007 at 05:45 PM.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2007, 09:34 PM
A Local Legend
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Li, just getting ready to start a WIP for this forum. I hope it will be of interest to some of the fiber artists here.
Thanks for posting the pattern Diana!!
Col. 3:23
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2007, 11:12 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Hi Everyone,
I'm Debby and I am fairly new to Wet Canvas. I have been lurking in the drawing and colored pencil forums. I've only recently started learning to draw and use colored pencils so the confidence level isn't real high. However, I was delighted to find a Fiber Arts forum. Yeah! I'm really looking forward to seeing all the wonderful artwork.

About me...I learned to sew clothing from my mom when I was 8, by high school I was designing halloween costumes. In my early adult years I started designing Reniassance costumes for fairs. (Still do both from time to time.) I learned to cross-stitch somewhere in there and still find that a relaxing past-time.

I am a teddy bear artist. I started out medium sized and then went mini (3" and under). Using computers at work ruined my hands. So I didn't do anything for many years. After not working for several years my hands mostly healed. But, when I returned to bears, I found that I wasn't happy with any of my designs. Then I discovered needlefelting. *Joy!* My avatar is a 2 and a half inch tall needlefelted, fully jointed dragon. I make bears by needlefelting them now. I am starting to branch out to other critters (ie. the dragon). They are all in the mini size. I love working small.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2007, 11:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

So fun to see this forum already stating to hum and it's only been up a day!

Debby~ welcome to Wetcanvas. Please feel free to start a new thread and show us your little critters. I'm a huge fantasy/ Sci-fi fan.

Edit- Debbie~ Did I read correctly that you have fjord horses?? My husband is Norwegian ( part) and carves them. They are such beautiful animals.

Li

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker

Last edited by lisilk : 09-25-2007 at 11:33 PM.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2007, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast
Florida

Hails from United States

Mary and Diana, I am so excited to see this forum added to WC's list! For many years while my kids were growing up I was seriously into knitting and quilting, and although most of my time now is devoted to drawing, my interest in those two areas is still very strong.

When the boys were skiing I worked my way through a whole book of traditional Scandinavian patterns because I loved the complexity and color combinations so much. I did a few cable knits, too, and enjoyed them as well. Now no family members have an interest in wearing these heavy sweaters, but sometime it might be fun to start a small creative project just for relaxation.

During my quilting years I designed and hand-pieced/appliqued/quilted many wall hangings and a couple of double bed quilts. Four of my designs were published in early editions of "Quilter's Newsletter Magazine," three of which appeared on the magazine's cover. Up until a few years ago I was an out-of-control clothaholic who couldn't go into any fabric store without buying something. I still have seven big bins of quilting fabrics in my closets that I just can't bring myself to give up.

Thanks for making this forum possible! I know it will be a tremendous inspiration to all people working with fibers.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2007, 06:36 AM
A Local Legend

I crochet, knit badly, silk ribbon embroider, bead on fabric, paint acrylics on canvas and fabric and walls, and watercolor. I used to have a cottage industry designing and sewing infant blessing dresses and party dresses up to size 4, but it's been years since I've sewn. I am recovering from a severe illness and this forum is a god-send.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Immortalized
The beautiful Caboolture Shire

Hails from Australia

I am Stacey, and I am addicted to fibers!!!!!!

I LOVE to try anything and although I am a mixed media artist at heart, I LOVE to try fibers and all sorts of wierd and wonderful things.

I am hopless with needles but try and I have just discovered the wonderful world of art dolls and am ready to try my first one!
(WISH ME LUCK!)

Hugs
Stacey
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2007, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Wawaka, Indiana

Hails from United States

Hello, My name is Nancy. Next to glass yarn is my next love. It is all about the color.

I'm always trying to find someone to share one of the two interests. Currently I knit. I taught myself a couple years ago when I wanted something portable to do. I used to crochet and do every once and a while still. I learned to crochet as at about 8 from a lady around the corner. I can still remember running through the yards to show her what I'd done or ask a question. I tried tatting (twice once as a child and once in my late 20's or so) and that was less than productive. There are a few other fiber related attempts in the not so productive category.

Can't wait to join the discussion.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Lord of the Arts
New York State

Hails from United States

Hi All!

Congratulations on getting a fiber arts forum up and running! Lots of diverse talent here!

I crochet, knit and hand/needle felt. I'm good with a needle and thread but don't cross stitch (to the chagrin of my sisters who love it). I learned to crochet and sew from my mother and to knit from my aunt (my mother's sister) all before I was 8.

Mom never used a pattern to crochet so about 5 yrs ago, I took a class so I could learn how to read a pattern. I take the hook and needles with me wherever I go just in case I have some time to get in a few rows!

I have a knit/crochet/flamework blog - http://hooksandfire.livejournal.com

Cindy
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Lord of the Arts
Bismarck,ND

Hails from United States

Hi, I'm Gladys and I'm from ND. Where it gets cold in the winter and people kinda hibernate and we get into all sorts of trouble with yarn, fabric, embrodery threads, cordings, beads, and all sorts of other fibers. I love working with wire too!

I learned to sew at the ripe age of seven. My Mother was a very talented lady and I am so please that I obtained a few of those genes from her. When we were younger and the sears, wards, or Aldeans catalogs came out, all we had to do was pick out a dress that we really liked and she would sew us one without a pattern. I enjoy sewing, quilting, fiber weaving, cross-stitch, painting, jewelry design. Not too much I won't try once, to see if I like it, if I do I add it to my list. Thats how I started the Kumihimo weaving, now I love it! Hope to see you all around the forum.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
The Land of the Moonrakers

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi, I'm Sonia. In my youth I enjoyed dressmaking and embroidery (very traditional tablecloths, etc.), knitting was OK as long as the intended wearer was prepared to grow into the finished article!

I now work mainly in watercolour, mixed media and collage (sometimes stitching elements together), also including these mediums when making artists books. I have over recent years taken an interest in rag rug making, but as this has been only a "fill-in" occupation for winter evenings when we might find something interesting to watch on the television, production has been very low (a cot-side rug started when my grandson was born only reached its final destination after he was 4 years old!).
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Lord of the Arts
Littleton, CO

Hails from United States

Love the little needle-felted dragon....I would love to see how you do this

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDebby
Hi Everyone,
I'm Debby and I am fairly new to Wet Canvas. I have been lurking in the drawing and colored pencil forums. I've only recently started learning to draw and use colored pencils so the confidence level isn't real high. However, I was delighted to find a Fiber Arts forum. Yeah! I'm really looking forward to seeing all the wonderful artwork.

About me...I learned to sew clothing from my mom when I was 8, by high school I was designing halloween costumes. In my early adult years I started designing Reniassance costumes for fairs. (Still do both from time to time.) I learned to cross-stitch somewhere in there and still find that a relaxing past-time.

I am a teddy bear artist. I started out medium sized and then went mini (3" and under). Using computers at work ruined my hands. So I didn't do anything for many years. After not working for several years my hands mostly healed. But, when I returned to bears, I found that I wasn't happy with any of my designs. Then I discovered needlefelting. *Joy!* My avatar is a 2 and a half inch tall needlefelted, fully jointed dragon. I make bears by needlefelting them now. I am starting to branch out to other critters (ie. the dragon). They are all in the mini size. I love working small.

Cindy's Blog
Life beats down and crushes the soul, but art reminds you that you have one. Stella Adler
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Kemah, TX

Hails from United States

hi:
My name is Hermione and I do lots of things:
lampworking is the newest;
knit,crochet, needlepoint, counted embroidery. I think that's all.LOL