WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2007, 04:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
Golden Afternoon - Finished - Grasses In

Boy, this is the second time around for this painting and I am ready throw this one in the trash too. I love the photo and know what I want, but can't seem to pull it off.

Lots to be done, but thought I'd I stop and get some opinions. Good enough for my show, or move on to something else?

Thanks for looking!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Enthusiast
BC

Hails from Canada
Re: Pitch It and Move On?

I love parts of it but do not understand the blue on the top of the pilings.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Lord of the Arts
NSW Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Kathryn, Im no expert, i think you are getting abit flustered as we do when we cant quite get that result we can see in our minds eye. Please dont throw it out, it does have potential, mrking pointed out the blue on top of the pilings, keep with it, im sorry im not any help here, but take a step back, relax and im sure you will have a winner here..

"Art is a passion or it is nothing ~Robert Fry
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2007, 04:25 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

mrking - that is the strong sunlight coming down on top of those surfaces - it is tempered with some yellow, but that is not showing up in the photo

Thanks for the support Nicky - we'll see. I am frustrated with it at the moment.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2007, 04:49 PM

Hails from United States

There is great "stuff" happening in this work. I love the reflection in the water and the depth to the upper lefthand corner. I do agree with mrking about the light blue. It is not so much the colors, but, at least on my screen, they lack dimension. They look flat, almost like empty holes. I know sunlight washes out depth often, but these need a bit more I believe. Don't trash it. You're not that far.

Christine
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Enthusiast
BC

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Wilson
mrking - that is the strong sunlight coming down on top of those surfaces - it is tempered with some yellow, but that is not showing up in the photo

Thanks for the support Nicky - we'll see. I am frustrated with it at the moment.

Interesting. Are the top of the pilings wet?

Can you post a ref image?

Last edited by mrking : 07-16-2007 at 05:37 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2007, 05:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Here's the ref -
Attached Images

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2007, 06:00 PM
A Local Legend
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

i like your reference picture too and see why you wanted to paint it ... i believe you might be trying to follow the reference too exactly ... i think the reference photo has the tops overexposed and the contrasts too severe ... i'd recommend taking artistic license and making the tops of the pilings very light colours that might exist in the piling itself and surrounding colours ... and showing it's texture ... then see how you feel about it ... the colours that you're putting into this painting are fabulous ... it wouldn't take too much to make it just *sing* ... you can do it too !!

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2007, 06:07 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

This is exactly what I needed to know - thanks everybody - I never even thought of the tops being too light, or the wrong color.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2007, 07:18 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Far North Coast NSW Aussieland

Hails from Australia

I love the colours you have chosen for this one, Beautiful , I would keep going.
The addition of the green grasses would also look lovely.

Annie
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom

Hello,
Keep going! It will be great! The one thing unique to pastel is how quickly the painting changes when we push through this middle not sure stage and add and adjust colors and value.
Maggie
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Vermont

Hails from United States

There are two times during a painting that are sure to make me totally nuts: the first is when I've blocked it out and then am faced with what looks to me like a bunch of blobs that make no sense at all. The other is when I have something in my mind and I can't pull it off and the frustration is about to push me over the edge and the only way out is to rip the dang thing off and throw it in the trash. But most of the time, if I stay with it, something happens that makes the painting work well enough to at least keep, and often better than that. Sometimes it means that the painting turns out to be a different painting than I thought it was going to be. Other times I end up figuring out what it is that is getting in my way. Either way, I end up learning something, and feeling good enough about it that I am willing to put myself through the whole damn process again.

Some sort of sickness, I guess. Obviously, you've got it too. I like your painting. I bet the folks above have pinpointed the problem. I bet you can fix it. Go for it. Even if it makes the painting different from what you thought it was going to be. Heh heh.

Dayle Ann

Ok, so I'm feeling impish today... it's been a great day.

Anything worth doing is worth doing badly... (anonymous)
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2007, 11:35 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Kat, for me there's a drama to the photo that appeals, which you may have chosen to ignore. If so, that's certainly your choice to make (and thus ignore me), but the height difference between the first and second piling makes a nice stretch. It adds a rhythm I find interesting, a syncopation, if you will. Instead of a steady beat, the first one is a downbeat, then a hesitation before the second one hits my eye...

Now, you know I try not to be a slave to a photograph, but what I want to do is use the parts that really work, so for me that dramatic pause is interesting. That's right where the grasses reside, which adds another rhythm, or maybe what you could think of as the melody--a little interesting tidbit or light sparking my interest as it wraps around the beat.

I think your color work in the water is a good start. If you're turned on by this photo, I recommend going for it on this one! Usually the desire (inspiration) to paint a scene is worth far more than any amount of analysis, don't you think? (I remember the first one you did, too!)

Have some fun. Don't let the deadline scare you into being too safe.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2007, 01:29 AM
Immortalized
Arizona

Hails from United States

This is an exciting image. I like Deborah's comments on the rhythm and the nice contrasting note that the differently scaled posts make.
I am not clear whether your image is finished or in progress. If finished I haven't the sense of water in the oranges and yellows. That area looks like ground with yellowed grasses. In your ref I love those dark recesses in the posts and would like to see them in your painting---more of those base notes to conterpoint the melody. Definitely would like to see the green grasses as another cool contrast to the warm colors. Certainly do not trash this. It will be ,and really is already, a stunning piece, that should shine in your show.
TJ

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2007, 04:33 AM
Isle of Axholme

Hails from England

Hi Kathy - keep at it, or as someone advised me, put it to one side and come back in a few weeks or month's time!
For my two penneth worth I'd consider putting some of those grasses in, or maybe, if you don't want them, some ripples around a couple of the posts? Just a quick thought on my first impression.
Regards,
Pabs

Let's be careful - it's dusty out there!!!!