WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2006, 05:49 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada
Johnnie's Grandchild-Watercolour WIP

I just wanted to get this thread started so it'll be set and have a place ready here.
Johnnie's thread asking for help prompted me to do a WIP, which hopefully goes well lol!, from his Grandaughter's reference shot.
I started the drawing then realized I had started with a different ref than I had originally seen and wanted to do the WIP from. I like the first one the best. I got the reference printed at Black's, a photo store, only to see that the cropping in the print cut off too much on the right, where her ear is. Thsi was ok, I could just draw that in from the screen while I waited for ink to be changed in our printer and I could print my own ref photo again.
The earliest I will begin uploading progress will be Wed afternoon now, as it is Thanksgiving weekend here and I won't be getting anything done here till next week. I will begin the drawing tonight sometime though as I was able to get a green coloured reference from our printer for now, which is good enough to do a drawing from.
I stretched wc paper on pine board, after soaking it 7 minutes in water. Once the surface dried, I draw in with watercolour pencil.
I'll upload the drawing or partial drawing tonight, if I can, and start the painting part early next week.
Thanks Johnnie; Jocelyn

Here is his reference this will be inspired by. We are concentrating on hair mostly for this WIP.

Have a good weekend!

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2006, 06:23 PM
A Local Legend
Lincoln, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Johnnie's Grandchild-Watercolour WIP

Hi Jocelyn

Well your very welcome and thank you for doing this..

Looking forward to watching your techniques..

You Jocelyn, and family, have a great Thanksgiving..

Johnnie
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2006, 11:41 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada

Hi all: Here is the drawing as it stands right now. I did it before we left Friday night. There may be some tweaking here or there but I'll check it better tomorrow before I begin the painting. I did this with watercolour pencil so it will just fade and blend or remove if needs be, as I paint. I don't tend to do as detailed a drawing as this for my own portraits as I find there is too much need for removal of the drawing before starting. But, for this, I want others to see a drawing clearly here.

It's on 140 lb stretched wc paper from Arches. I had no 300 lb in the house this time. This is fine a size for smaller portraits.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2006, 06:44 AM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States

This is going to be beautiful. I could identify your drawings and paintings anywhere. Sandra
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2006, 02:01 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada

Hi: Sorry all. I had a malfunction with my camera and could not figure out why nothing was there when I went to download pics from my camera to my Cdrive. But, I figured it out. I had somehow knocked the memory stick loose in the camera, probably when unhooking it from the comp the last time.

Anyway, here is my first and second progress stages today. I'll do each separately. I also have my palette here and I'll list the colours.

Please bare with me as I am under the weather today.

This first stage I began by dabbing back with my soft eraser, the brown watercolour pencil marks as much as possible. The rest seem to be blending nicely with the paint.

I began in the eye on our right, with a rose madder, tint of yellow ochre and tint of light green to tone down the orange effect. I get a nice neutral rose this way, for the skin and around the eyes. I always work in the eyes with skin tones first, even in the iris and around the corners and pupil. This gives it a nice living breathing blood flowing life at the end, even after the neutrals and darks are added. I amke sure I use a lot of warms in the nostrils and avoid very dark darks. Nostrils are Not the darkest dark in most portraits.
The whites of the eyes I have done a very thin layer of cobalt blue toned down roses. The whites lights in the eye are cool where as they skin highlights tend to be warm compared to the whites of the eye where highlighted and in shadow areas too.

I then get into suggesting where the green in the skin will begin, for the shadows. First, I wash in the rosey skin tones very very light and shapey. I then can soften the edges of the shapes where I need to with a damp cleaned off brush after those shapes dry. I keep all these little layers very light and build gradually. I won't do too much green tones or shadows until much of the skin tones are established, just enough to begin them. I try not to do too much work in one or two areas and leave other areas untouched. I try to keep my stages pretty even. I will suggest the darks early though, although never their darkest stage too early. This way, balance and harmony is generally always present.

Trick is to layer slow so you never go too far with the intensity in one area, which is harder to fix than adding intensity when more is needed. Just do it in a comfortable set of steps, keeping all the areas pretty well at the same stage.

The areas I take to the next stage quicker, as in the shadows and beginning of the darks, are the areas where the most darks or intensities are. These are the lashes, eye corners, crevices in the eyelid creases, lip corners and crevices. I don't use black. My darks are kept very vibrnat and living and I tend to use greened down crimsons and sometimes blued down browns for darks.
I tend to never do complete "lines" of connected darks or shadows. I place them and let the shapes have breaks between. A good example of this is in the part between the lips. I drop in deeper tones where the darkest little shadows and crevices are and let tem break as the shape contours change and more light hits the next area. You can see that easily here in the beginning of the forming of the lips. I would never do a dark line following all along the part of the lips because the lips are different thicknesses and different depths of creases are created in different areas. Therefore, light hitting them and shadows will casue different areas to be lighter and darker, depending on the contours of the lips and the places where they blend with the skin and contours of the face. Breaking up lines and edges that are so easy to want to draw around shapes to define those shapes, causes the features (nose, mouth, eyes, brows) to come from the skin instead of appearing to sit On the skin. Edges are worth paying attention to. Shpaes and tones next to an edge can define that edge better thna just outlining that edge. If that makes sense. I find I tend to work Towards edges and shapes instead of outlining and working Out from a shape.
A good example of this would be the tone on the cheek and top lip over the teeth on our left where it reaches in and around her nostril above it. You can't see the side that goes right under and into her nostril but the shape I painted defines the flare of her nostril which I left the white of the paper for the highlighted edge of that nostril.

You can see here already where I am carrying the skin tones into and around the major parts of the bangs, trying to leave a few whispy thinner ones too. I can later scrub back in that area to highlight more detailed whisps, as long as I never work too much dark into there. Not every hair and shape needs to be replicated from the photo, only the feel or jist of the bangs and their character is what I strive for. When I do tha background, I will pay attention to leaving some white of the paper for whisps that come away from the main hair. Some can be accomplished with scrubbing back there too, if I leave less than I want to.

Last edited by jocelynsart : 10-11-2006 at 02:04 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2006, 02:13 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada

Here is the stage I stopped at.

I am generally just continuing along with roses and the greens in the shadows, back and forth. There is some ochres being added too, in the mids of the side on our left and a bit in the brows and the upper lip area under the nose.

I brought the eyes up to the next level as well as just began the mouth. I find I will bring the eyes and mouth to the next level then catch up in the larger areas. I then will go into outside areas like the hair and ear and neck and background. I get into those once I feel I need them established in order to determine any further intensity in layers in the skin.

See here how I am keeping the nose light and not outlined. The edges that define the nose's shape are usually softer and less intense than corners of eyes and mouth crevices. Also, on children, I try to keep the brows light and less defined, using skin tones to define them first and then add neutrals to suggest hairs.

The white of the paper is going to do most of the work to determine the highlights for me in a wc portrait.

Next post I will show a stage and show my palette. Right now I want to get a bit more done while I have the time and the light. The light is not too good today as it is overcast.

It looks a bit choppy but here is a close up.

Last edited by jocelynsart : 10-11-2006 at 02:15 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2006, 03:18 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada

I worked a bit more in the face with the roses and greens. Then, I began establishign the shapes of the hair pieces by painting into them with the surrounding tones. Thsi way, I will get them marked in and know where they are before goign too much into the skin there and accidently obliterating too much of the whispy hair shapes.

I started into the underneath pieces of the hair which will be a bit more shaded, with an ochre, crimson and cobalt mix, leaving it more on the ochre side. I'll use purples in the shadow and deeper underneath sections of hair that are more shadowed and darker in tone.

The background is blues and greens although it looks more grey here. I paint in towards the hair, leaving parts where I want whispy pieces, the white of the paper. Basically, I am painting the negative spaces and leaving the hair whisps (the positive pieces) white for now. Some, I may vary with washes of shades of very light neutrals at the end. The very highlighted ones I will leave the white of the paper. I will aslo scrub back more of them and alter the shapes and soften and make them more natural looking in the end too.

I feel the bottom lids of her eyes may need some alterations as I feel the wideness I added to her eyes may be taking away from her likeness and personality that comes across here.

Right now, I am finding I am working too timidly in the dark side of her face so I'll leave that for another session.

This photo is appearing too orange brown. Probably due to the available light. The roseiness of the earlier pics is more accurate.

Last edited by jocelynsart : 10-11-2006 at 03:23 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2006, 03:43 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada

This is my palette for this. It is on a ceramic white plate. I try to limit how much I put out as I work for short periods as I tend to be a paint waster. Watercolour it is not too much of a big deal because I can go back and forth and still use the paint over a period of days. But, I need to instill the "limit the amount" habit anyway so stuck to it here too. For my acrylics, I really need to be on top of it.

The brand is Holbein Artist's Watercolour. I do have to admit that I prefer Windsor Newton but my Dad bought me a whole bunch of paint for Christmas 2 years ago and he asked what is the best paint to buy, of the sales person, and they sold him that brand. He bought so many that I decided I will give them another shot. I find if I use them on wc paper, I am fine. On illustration board, they are too grainy and don't work as nicely for me. I find they don't scrub back as well as WN either. They tend to be a little grainer, setting into the surface much more deeply and permanently right away. But, just my opinion.

I have out Cerulean Blue (sorry, mistakenly said Cobalt earlier), Rose Madder, Vermilion Hue (orange red), Permanent Green No1, Permanent Yellow Deep (not used yet), Yellow Ochre, Ultramarine Blue (WN brand), Burnt Sienna, Alizarin Crimson (WN brand).

The skin again: Cer. Blue, Rose Madder/Crimson, Ochre and Perm. Green. I am working mainly in a rose tone and warming it up where needed and neutralizing it in the shadows with Green or the Cer. blue. The Permanent Green is a nice light vibrant green. I am using thin washes of it pure in some spots. The darks in the corners of the mouth and eye corners, eyelid crevice spots and lashes are crimson and green mixed.

My brushes are 2 synthetic round, the soft bristle ones with the gold toned bristle. These brushes are inexpensive. I have my real sable but I use that mainly for backgrounds or larger pieces now as it's tip was wrecked when someone else in my family used it years ago with craft paint to paint an outdoor ceramic garden gnome. Even though it does not come to a point anymore, it is a great brush for large areas and backgrounds. I can get some detail with it if my piece is large, by tipping and using just a corner of the tip. This is too small a piece so it won't be used.
The brush I have been using is a number 5 round. I did move to the larger round later in this though, for the background and some of the face. I'll use the larger round more now, until some finer detail needs to be worked on again. The larger round I believe is an 8. The # is obliterated though, from me using it and my skin rubbing on it.

The brush shown here is the #5 round.

It is too dark in here to really work anymore on this so I'll leave it now.

Last edited by jocelynsart : 10-11-2006 at 03:49 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Missouri Ozarks

Hails from United States

This is already so beautiful Jocelyn, how special of you to do this. I'll keep coming back to see the progress. Hope you get to feeling better.
Marcella
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Enthusiast
Kimberton, PA

Hails from United States

Wow thanks so much for sharing this with us!!!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2006, 07:23 AM
Immortalized

Outstanding so far Jocelyn Arilics, watercolor...you can handle it all!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2006, 08:54 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Lovely portrait so far Jocelyn. I really love the expression you've captured. More so than the ref. Well done!

For reason to tolerate those who refuse to play by the rules of reason is nothing else but the suicide of reason. ~ Lee Harris
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2006, 09:15 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

How do you do your sketches/linears Jocelyn? I don't see any guidelines on your drawing. Do you transfer? I know some people just start at one point and go around the face til they meet up with where they started. I saw this in a couple of demos and I'm always in awe of that cause I sure can't do it. I have to use guidelines and measure... erasing and adding as I go to get it proportional and correct and it ends up looking rather messy. Then I transfer that onto my surface which then looks not messy. Sometimes I'll use an overhead projector to get a rough indication of where things are if I'm feeling lazy then I'll draw in the details and make my alterations according to what I want to see and to get the expression just right.

For reason to tolerate those who refuse to play by the rules of reason is nothing else but the suicide of reason. ~ Lee Harris
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2006, 10:43 AM
A Local Legend
Northeastern Ont

Hails from Canada

Just beautiful so far Jocelyn. Thanks so much for taking the time to share this.

www.ellenspalette.com
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2006, 11:33 AM
A Local Legend
Lincoln, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi Jocelyn

This is looking really good.. Like the palette you are using.. I must try that .. Mine was totally different.. You explanations and pics are just what I need..

tnx
Johnnie