WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England
Re: Flinders Range Wattle WIP (still life)

Susan...this is looking good! Mind if I sit awhile and watch? I brought some more popcorn!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2006, 01:32 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England

How great, I dont recall seeing any works of yours other than landscapes..... so this is going to be a treat
....... Share some of that popcorn Deirdre...... hope its Toffee flavoured
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Enthusiast
NM

Hails from United States

I like the thought of just indicating where your highlights will be, I can see how that might save headaches later. I remember a painting I did that I got some dark pastel where light should go and then I could never get it as light as it needed to be, even after brushing out the pastel, the stain was too dark. It is looking great so far. I have no doubts you will make a wonderful painting.

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2006, 03:14 AM
A Local Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Violet, I will check the base of the vase as it isnít impossible for the layers of pastel to stray over my drawing. Placing the highlights in first is something I have done for some time. I actually was impressed with what I saw seeing an artist doing the same and adopted it. I find it excellent when painting Plein Air as well as it establishes the light source very early on. Of cause I place the shadows in quickly as well as the sun seems to move faster when I am painting.

Prettytulips, the drawing was done with a spot light from the right hand side. I was looking for cast shadows to bring together all the items. I have never set up a still life before so hope that I have the eye traveling around the work in a manner that isnít confusing. I will post a photo tomorrow of how I set up my still life. It is rather unsophisticated how I have put it together and the wattle is rather sad to look at now but it will give you a general idea of things.

Satheesh, I am dreading the vase. The glass has so many vertical shapes to it with the odd bulge from the sides that it is going to take me ages to do.

Mike
, Thank you that makes me feel much better.

Deirdre, my tummy is starting to growl here, mind if I have some of that popcorn.

Dawn, it is a first for meÖÖ.. oh toffee flavouredÖ..yum!!!

Kathy
, you are right as I have found the same thing, the highlights seem so much better if applied first.

As you can see I have worked on the wattle quite a bit. It isnít finished as I found myself moving on from the flowers and foliage to the cream table cloth. Funny that as I donít even remember that happening until I stopped for a cup of coffee.

I can already hear Deborah (Dee) commenting about the two similar shaped wattle on the left hand side of the table. I will fix that yet. I often do it and bust if I know why.

Catch you all soon, Susan

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2006, 05:36 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

I love your colors - the yellows really pop off that back wall. Can't wait to see more!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2006, 06:04 PM
A Local Legend
Severn, MD

Hails from United States

The flowers remind me of some little wild ones my son picked for me in a field! Looking very nice Susan, still watching!!
Tres
"We derive more benefit from having our faults pointed out by our enemies than from hearing the opinions of friends." (Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519)
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2006, 06:11 PM
A WC! Legend
High Desert of Idaho

Hails from United States

For someone that doesn't work large you are doing a fab job of this. I love the colors in the background that makes the rest of the painting pop, giving dimension to your work. Good job

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
Charissa
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast
Maryland, USA

Hails from India

Wow, the flowers seem to some alive and spring out of the painting! Putting in the lights first seems like a wonderful idea.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2006, 11:53 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavij
Wow, the flowers seem to some alive and spring out of the painting! Putting in the lights first seems like a wonderful idea.

Hi Bhavi,

If I'm not wrong, what Susan did was to put the darkest and lightest values first. This way she'll have a better guidance to the rest of the values.
Or maybe I'm totally mistaken

Susan, this is looking really promissing.
I thought that you could only paint landscapes and sheeps

Kindest regards,

Josť
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2006, 12:16 AM
A Local Legend
Elk Grove, CA

Hails from United States

Susan, this is looking very good already. I don't think the two wattles on the left are too much alike, the size and shape being quite different enough to create interest. As for the shrubbery emmanating from that vase, it is positively 3-D! Great background too. Keep going, I can't wait to see where you take this one.

Somehow, I always thought you worked on larger scale. Your landscapes just feel big to me I guess.

Mikki

"To Begin, Begin." - Wadsworth
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2006, 01:08 AM
A Local Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

I think I may have confused everyone when I wrote

Quote:
For those that donít know my work, this is a first for me painting a still life as large as this. I have completed small drawings with graphite pencils and even post card size watercolours but NEVER anything like this. It is going to be a steep learning curve for me.

I have painted large landscapes but not a Still LifeÖ.. sorry about that.

Many thanks to you all

Josť, you are correct. I do find it much easier to work this way.

Mikki one bunch of that wattle will have a stem and odd leaf, which I think will improve the way they look. I do need something there to break up the edge of the table but subtle at the same time. As you can see in the photo my table isnít as wide as the one in my painting. Bit of artist license happening as I didnít want the wattles slap bang in the middle of the scene.

Right here goes; I will now explain the whys of this setup, as sad as it is from the flowers sitting for so long.

In the photo you will see I have fabric as a background drop but not in the painting. The reason is I wanted a darker wall than what I had to work with. I didnít want a fabric backdrop in the painting.

My inspiration of the still life is to portray that someone has just finished putting the flowers in the vase and yet to clean up the bits and pieces of fallout from the plant. In other words an informal setting.

The needlework flowers will not be part of this painting.

What did take me by surprise was the time it took me to set this scene up. It was very time consuming. At one point I had the vase and kettle kissing. Another time a passage of light looked wrong and so on. Maybe with more experience I may get quicker or perhaps it is part of the Still Life process. Either way I feel very motivated, though that vase has me nervous

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2006, 02:17 AM
Enthusiast
British Columbia,Canada

Hails from Canada

Hope you don't mind if I join you too. This is really coming along. Lovely flowers and they work so well with your B/G.
Trish
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2006, 02:55 AM
A Local Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Trish it is great to have you on board

I had a chance today to do a bit of work on the vase though not as much as I would have liked. The vase isnít finished but quite happy with the direction it is going.

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2006, 08:21 AM
A Local Legend
Severn, MD

Hails from United States

Looking great Susan, still watching!!
Tres
"We derive more benefit from having our faults pointed out by our enemies than from hearing the opinions of friends." (Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519)
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Bridgend, Wales

Hails from Wales

Nice! What pastels are you using?