WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2006, 01:54 AM
Lord of the Arts
Wyoming

Hails from United States
Re: Wanderer Butterfly WIP

Susan , lovely painting thank you for sharing . I have enjoyed heqring allthe colors used to get black, many I have never thought of it will be fun to try these . as I usually just use black
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2006, 05:19 AM
A Local Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Gerry thank you The darks had me concerned right from the start. As you would know this is a great community of artist that are very willing to help out. Those that have participated in this thread have helped me enormously, which in turn helps others that come across it. Thanks guys your input is valued very much.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Lord of the Arts
Rochester, NY, USA

Hails from United States

Coming along beautifully! Hope you feel better soon.

KimDenise.com
photography
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2006, 09:21 AM
A WC! Legend
Harstad, Norway

Hails from Norway

Oh yes, coming along beautifully!! The bg work very well, love the summery feel, beautiful flowers! Can't wait for your next installment on the butterfly......

And yes Susan, I tend to work quite flat, especially when I work out details. When I block in larger areas I'll tilt it more forward to let the dust fall of. One thing I do when I use a paper sheet is a blowerbrush - I'll blow of dust almost between every stroke to keep the work clean. I keep this in my hand all the time, I find it very useful. This is actually a cleaner for my camera, but I've put it in better use.... I started using this after blowing dust of a sanded surface by breath - lets just say I learned that sanded surfaces and water just don't like eachother that much...

I'll insert a pic of it to show you what I mean, hope you don't mind...

My Website My blog
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2006, 01:35 AM
A Local Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

It has been quite a busy day with Crutching some of our sheep. For those that don’t know the “Crutcher” cuts the wool of the sheep’s behinds to help keep that area clean. I am the cook for the day when this job is done.

Kim I am feeling a lot better today thanks.

Merethe thanks for explaining how you work as I find it very interesting how artist operate. Much appreciated also for posting the image as I have never seen one of these. On my must buy lists now

No more on the butterfly but I did manage to get some more work done on the daisy flowers along with some scrapes of colour in the darker foreground. There is quite a bit of colour in the daisy petals, which isn’t showing up on my monitor. I still may put some subtle pink & mauve mid tones back into the petals yet to depict more shadow.

I am aware at all times that I need to break up any halo effects around the larger shapes. I see one curving around the outer edge of the butterfly wing at the top. I am making a mental note to fix it tomorrow.

Cheers, Susan

#36   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2006, 08:57 AM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States

Susan this is really looking wonderful. Just to stir the pot a little...is this a male or female butterfly? of course I am just having fun asking...okay, I am a brat today...
piper
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Devon, UK

Hails from Australia

susan it is gorgeous can't wait to see the end product how do you get rid of the 'halo'? everything i do has a halo
cheers mads
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2006, 10:14 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Hampshire

Hails from United States

Susan, this is so wonderful! You have a light airy feel to the background and the colors are lively and soft at the same time. This is coming along beautifully!
Cindy
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast
Plymouth, CA

Hails from United States

I see the roundness of the wings. Your use of black is really good. this
is going to be beautiful. It is aleady. Where are your sheep paintiings?

leirrem
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2006, 05:53 PM
A Local Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Brat…oops I mean Piper , it is a male . The male butterflies have a “sex Mark” on the hind wing, which looks like a swelling in the veins.

Seriously though I have learnt so much about these butterflies since starting on this project; that I didn’t know about prior to then. It makes me realize as artist that our knowledge is always developing beyond the application of a paint medium.

Maddy it easily happens when working around the large shapes and easy to take out with pastels. All I do is break it up with some colour/tone dragging it out further from the ‘halo’ itself so that it becomes uneven in the case of this work.

Cindy thank you, it is so different to what I have ever done before.

Leirrem so far so good. I still have some paper to cover in that top dark area of the wing though nearly there. So far I haven’t had to use black as the two very dark Flinders Red Violet and Flinders Blue Violet are giving me the results that I want. They actually look black but when I apply some Indanthrene Blue I get these slight changes of colour and tone which gives me the roundness that I am looking for.

I am going to work on the butterfly today.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States

Susan..I am really enjoying watching this thread...maybe because I have such an interest in butterflies....and yes, it is a male..I spotted that right away when you started putting color on him...I always read everything I can about the subject, maybe it keeps me in touch with them, or makes it easy to paint them.
piper
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2006, 01:32 AM
A Local Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Gosh the more I do on this work the more I see that needs to be done.

I removed the halo effect around the top left wing. I also refined that wing and made sure all the paper was covered.

The wing next to it I found that I couldn’t achieve what I wanted without adding AS Australian Red Gold V549 to my mix. I also introduced some of that colour into the top wing to flatten it a bit as I felt there were too many wavy curves happening.

AS Warm White P501 was added to my butterfly colours. This was used for the warm areas on the spots.

I was disappointed I didn’t get more done today but then there is always tomorrow.

#43   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2006, 02:44 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England

This is already gorgeous Susan .... cant wait for the finish
Thats a great gadget Merethe..... I was wondering about using a Hairdryer lol . ...
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Camarillo, CA

Hails from United States

Wow ... beautiful butterfly. The background is great too! I am always struggling with backgrounds
Looking forward to see the finished painting.
Mariska
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2006, 03:28 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi,

I always like to see your paintings and this one is no exception.
I hope that you do your best on that butterfly because the daisies (I guess that's their name ?) are really awsome :-)

Kind regards,

José

P.S. why is it called butterfly ? It doesn't seem like flying butter :-0
from now on everyone will call it borboleta, ok ? :-)