WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 12:50 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
British Columbia, Canada - in the beautiful Fraser Valley

Hails from Canada
Re: Ornamental Cherries - Still Life WIP

Thank you TJ.... I am so pleased with Terry's colours. He is working on some new reds and being as that is one of my favourite colours, I am waiting with bated breath. Many of his pastels have a strange texture.....rather gritty compared to say, a Unison. They go on wonderfully and are so intense. Christmas is coming right??

Dawn, thanks for sneaking in during your lunch break....my that's dedication.

Rose... I don't find it difficult at all to drool over cherries but wait......you don't have the cherries yet.....I'll have to correct that!! Be right back with some

#47   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 01:01 PM

Hails from Canada

This is that lovely dark Terry Ludwig maroon laid down in all of the darkest areas. Black will be added to the very edges to roll them over into the complete darkness.

Here besides the black, I have added some Unisons...a burgundy and two reds working around but not covering the area that will eventually be the white shine.

A close up of the blocked in colours where you can see that I have also applied a midtone of ultramarine blue with my all-time favourite Carb-Othello pencil #430. This is mixed with a little blue gray to produce my reflected light in the shadowed areas.

Finger-blended all around the area left for whites.

Here I have taken my small 1/8 inch clickable eraser and cleaned out any reds before laying in my whites with my white charcoal pencil. Red is so very contagious that it is imperative to remove even the smallest hint of it before adding the white if you donít desire to end up with pinks.

With the whites applied I used my finger and/or gray and/or a dusty rose to create the halo round it. The choice depended on how it was working out and what it lacked. At this point touching down lightly with a pencil of a similar to tone is preferable to overblending. This is the highlite that will make each cherry sing, therefore you donít want it dirtied up in the least.

So here we are with what looks like lively bouncing cherries....well you have to see the big picture to see the bounce!!

Cheers, Dianna

#48   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 01:08 PM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States

I need more popcorn!

Okay, but Dianna- HOW are you being SO accurate in such a small space?? I'm lucky if I can hit a mark within a centemetre.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

Panic Panic panic....I don't have those colours! I have some Schminke, Unison, Faber-castel, Sennelier & W&N.....but no Terrywotsits!
I can cope with the maroon.... and even the reds...but the blue?
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Immortalized
Arizona

Hails from United States

Well, I went to make more natchos with chees, having orange juice cause it's morning, but wanted to chime back in so I could rate this. These nearly stroke by stroke photos and the clear, complete descriptions of colors, brands, techniques are priceless, hope you are keeping copies, Dianna for your future book.

Guys, don't forget the rating button. We want this one in the library for sure.
TJ

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cheyenne, Wyoming

Hails from United States

Dianna...this is absolutely stunning! It is really a pleasure to watch you develop this piece and I certainly appreciate your willingness to share your "secrets"! And by-the-way, the article in International Artist was very informative as well as interesting.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 03:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oegstgeest

Hails from Netherlands

Fascinating to watch.Those cherries are absolutely gorgeous, look delicious. I am really curious how you are going to handle the black so that those cherries won't get conteminated.
Thanks a lot for all the work you are putting in making this WIP.

My website: www.marinabuis.nl
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 03:25 PM

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBabyJ
Okay, but Dianna- HOW are you being SO accurate in such a small space?? I'm lucky if I can hit a mark within a centemetre.
I take it that you are asking how can I take this monster pastel and put it down where I want it, right? I just do a little 'touchdown' ever so lightly, lift it a little....see where it actually marked then move it to where I estimate it should be and try it again. Julie, I think the process could be called....applying patience.

Deirdre....the blue is the easy one. Most sets come with a few ultramaries so pick one of the mid-to-light ones that matches the closeup.

Deirdre really is working side by side with me here and I have seen the wonderful job she is doing even with her limited colours..... Good to hear that your using quality pastels....better less of those than tons of junk.

No, No, TJ .....never mind the stars....I want the mentor on this one!! Thanks girl for the kudos and 'yes' I'm keeping copies.....Think it will make good print?

Mike ...What secrets???? Sharing is half the fun but only if others share in return which is why I love this site so. Thank very much for remembering me from so 'long ago' an article

Cheers, Dianna

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 03:30 PM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States

"patience"?? Does that come in a box, bottle or can? I'll go get some even if it isn't on sale....

I think your accuracy might also have a little something to do with your hands not shaking and jerking whenever they feel like it.... Valium helps mine that way, but then I go to slee *snnnrkkshooo....*
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Pacific northwest

Hails from Canada

Holy Toledo....what have I been missing!! Scrumptious, absolutely scrumptious!!
Mags
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 03:54 PM
A Local Legend
Elk Grove, CA

Hails from United States

Oh my, Dianna! Just home from camping and taking a seat late in the lesson...pass the popcorn please...

I love the set up and the rich colors against the black and white ginger jar. I notice you are using T.Ludwig's deep maroon...aren't his darks amazing?

Happy painting,
Mikki

"To Begin, Begin." - Wadsworth
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 04:36 PM

Hails from Canada

WAKE UP JULIE..... You are probably right about the shaking thingy....Stick to spastic landscapes....that's what I do when I have to work after a severe hangover.....much like you probably have from your thread.

Mags ......good to see you back...hope you have been practicing!!

Mikki .....Hi Hoping the weather wasn't like our long weekend. Yes.....his colours are to die for!! Strange texture though don't you find. Love that one that looks fuchia and is really rust...

Cheers, Dianna

#58   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Wow! Gorgeous! Dianna, which is your favorite brand of pastel pencils and why?

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 05:38 PM

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. A. Cooper
Dianna, which is your favorite brand of pastel pencils and why?
Pastel pencils......Favourites....I would have to say Carb Othello...because they go on crrrrrrreamy smooth with the lightest touch and I have very little trouble with broken leads. Followed by Conte because they are gritty and easy to apply but unfortunately hard to sharpen. I use my bench grinder which is speedy but creates a lot of dust.

Least Favourites.....Pitt...because they are waxy and hard to apply. Followed by Derwent....a little easier to apply but many problems with broken leads....if you can call them leads.

However I couldn't survive without my two non-pastel pencils. My General white charcoal and my Pitt soft black charcoal. I also make use of my General medium black for signing my name when I wish to do black on black. Being harder, it comes out a just enough of a different shade to show up. ...And as you can see I used it here on the crazing because it retains a hard sharp point.

Cheers, Dianna

#60   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Immortalized
Arizona

Hails from United States

Dianna, look again, you've been voted a mentor award.
TJ

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.