WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2005, 01:58 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
British Columbia, Canada - in the beautiful Fraser Valley

Hails from Canada
Re: Ornamental Cherries - Still Life WIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. A. Cooper
Do you ever work light colors over very dark (like you can in oil or acrylic painting) or do you keep all the layers of color consistent (dark all the way through, with no lights layered on top)?

Basically, my darks sometimes get chalky (they loose their dark intensity--they get washed out) and I'm not sure if that is from contamination by other colors, or that is the way those particular pastels/colors are, or what.
Jamie you just answered your own question. Good for you!!! Contamination!!

I will add black to dark tones if I don't have a deep enough colour but I get much better results with having that 'right' colour. However I won't add it to light tones nor do I add light tones to darks. The lights will turn to greys and the darks will indeed dull down. This is true in almost all mediums. It all comes down to having enough colours to do a good job. You can never have enough pastels.

Cheers, Dianna

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2005, 04:28 AM
Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponting
You can never have enough pastels.

Cheers, Dianna

<sigh> Too true, too true. Ok, it must be contamination. I'm still getting used to working with the pastels.

I did try something neat with Photoshop tonight--I increased the contrast on some of my paintings, and they look better. I love the pop that your paintings have, and I think it is that beautiful contrast between the lightest lights and darkest darks that really makes your paintings pop. By having the full tonal range in the painting, it makes the darks look all the richer and the lights sparkle. Hmmm....so much to learn!

Jaime

#33   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2005, 07:39 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

that's a beautiful set up and lighting

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2005, 12:52 PM

Hails from Canada

You're a fast learner Jamie.....you seem to learn much like me.......Say your thoughts out loud and its just like hearing them from someone new... They seem to make more sense that way

Hello Vivien.....thanks for stopping by, I haven't run into you in a long while

Cheers, Dianna

#35   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

OK Dianna...I have caught up with you Of course, yours doesn't look like mine yet...you'll just have to practice smudging it! LOL! Pass the Brandy girls! I can't believe I've done this sober!
Hee hee...it's a good job you can neither see me nor reach me I expect!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Enthusiast
Calgary, AB

Hails from Canada

This is great!

I've visited your website a couple of times and have been blown away by the incredible detail in your work. Your WIP is great, not only from actually seeing the progess but your explanation of what you are doing and how. Can't wait to see what comes next

Kathy
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2005, 06:11 PM

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepat
Of course, yours doesn't look like mine yet...you'll just have to practice smudging it!
I love it Deirdre!!!!! I will definitely practice right this minute.

Kathy...thanks so much for stopping by and for check out my work
And your in luck as is Deirdre patiently chomping at the bit for chapter 2...here goes.

Cheers, Dianna

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2005, 06:28 PM

Hails from Canada

So here we start out with the jar working it in the same manner is as the lid. I worked it in two independent sections Ö.above and below the black stripe. The white area is large enough that I am comfortable putting it in first without worry of bringing too much of the dark into it while I am blending. This means I am once again working as I am most comfortable Ö.from top left to bottom right. So I change the rules to suit the occasion. It is important to me to work out the shape of the entire jar whether I will see it or not as this helps me keep the proportions correct in my mind

For those of you who donít have access to PhotoShop or some other picture editing program many of the cut, move, resize etc. shortcuts that I use can certainly be done with good old hard copy cutting and pasting or shifting the elements on a tracing table. One of the great features of these programs is to delve into the darkness of a photograph like this one and brighten up these areas to allow us to see what is really happening there. I am a firm believer in knowing just what I am drawing. I donít like to fudge areas that I donít understand. Once I grasp what they contain I might well chose to make light and loose with it but I at least understand what it is I am playing with making it easier to ďfudgeĒ without creating blatant errors. The poor manís tool for this is to take your photograph and hold it directly against your table lamp. All of those little lost details will miraculously appear.

Laying down the blocks of colour once more. These colours in this photo are fairly accurate.

This was taken without a flash so the colours are off but you can see the light gray area above the cherries where some reflected light is going to be happening. Taking the time to seek out and include these wonderful little spots of interest is what gives the painting its realistic qualities even though this area may be barely distinguishable when Iím done.

Blending completed and though it is not readily seen, that light spot contains pinky mauves as it would upon reflection from the cherries.

Iíve outlined the design lightly with a medium gray as some parts of it are going to almost disappear into the glare. The stem shadows are in now also. Once again, I want all of the blending done correctly before I begin adding designs.

The design is worked in various shades of gray to black and some green. The area right down at the bottom in the dark is still obvious to the keep observer and I was able to do it accurately by using the backlit photo to decipher it. Not knowing whether it is simply a design or actual writingÖ.I certainly donít want it saying something untoward.

The crazing of the glaze is done with several pencils beginning with a very light touch using a medium general charcoal. I use this because it is harder and therefore less black and easier to keep sharp. I laid out most of the lines in the shadow with this switching to a softer dark in the very deep shadows and changing to light green in the white areas. It was then a give and take, back and forth with browns greens and mauve to give a natural multi-colored look rather than straight black.

Because of the nature of the glaze, it catches the light along the edges of the dark and in other areas picks up the mauves of the cherries so. Again, the addition of this quirk of the glaze adds one more level of reality to the work but this is best show with mere indications is a few places lest it look overdone.

These are the colours Iíve used in the jar. #1 is the jar colours and #2 is the pencil and stick colours I used just for the glazing.

The jar is complete and I have erased the leafy areas along its left side that will eventually be the pattern in the fabric. Believe it or not, the beginning colour on the cherries is not black but a deep Terry Ludwig maroon.

I will work on the cherries tonight....I hope.

Any questions?

Cheers, Dianna

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast
NM

Hails from United States

:clap Great wip Dianna. Thanks for taking the time to put in so many steps.

#40   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2005, 08:03 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Just stopping by and wishing I wasn't allergic to the dusties I like your plan of attack and nice to see someone work top left to bottom right besides myself. Love how you plan ahead, it helps when you see it all in your head. I tried setting up a carboard box for still lifes, but the focused light was too glaring...never thought of a bounce board...will take that idea back over to the oil forum with me, thanks!
Very nice WIP and lovely painting.

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Western Australia

Hails from Australia

OK - now I'm gonna go all the way back to the beginning and keep the ref photo up and compare your steps. Sheesh - u just seem to make it look so darn easy.
Munch ....Sip ......... Munch ...... Sip ............. contemplate .............
Aletta
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2005, 10:57 PM

Hails from Canada

Kat you are more than welcome...is Dixie lurking yet?

Sue....thanks!! So glad to have a forum hopper drop in for a visit!!

Alleta you have me drooling.....it is definately time for my wine break. Got my cherries done but they will have to wait until morning.

Thanks ladies ......good nite.

#43   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 02:22 AM
Immortalized
Arizona

Hails from United States

Dianna, I am so impressed with your attention to the minutest detail such as the way that tiny crazing picks up and reflects light and color, also amazed at the number and variety of colors used. This is fascinating to watch and now I have Terry Ludwig's colors to add to my wish list, his darks and that maroon and his new purple are terrific colors.
TJ

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 08:40 AM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England

Yikes Diana ..... Im peeking in here from work and amazed at the speed you've gotten to lol - the pics look fantastic, havent had a chance to read all you said, lol they only give us a measley hour hee hee..... but will reading this all when I get home tonight

Great job
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 08:47 AM
Enthusiast
Arlington,Texas

Hails from United States

Many Thanks Dianna!!! This is a great WIP...the best I've ever seen! So detailed!!!! You are an amazing artist and very generous too! Thanks!!!! I'll keep watching...and drooling...