WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2005, 05:52 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
British Columbia, Canada - in the beautiful Fraser Valley

Hails from Canada
Re: Ornamental Cherries - Still Life WIP

On go the glazing cracks next and here is where I want to be sure that everything else is perfect first, I certainly don’t want to be re-adjusting form and shadow after this is done. These were accomplished with pastel pencils as well as some sticks. I will talk a little more about the colours I used when I get to the jar body.

I have laid down the midtones again and darks for the bamboo. Once they were in, I used various bars of colour to depict the rounding of the individual sticks. The last to go on was my white charcoal pencil to give it the zing of taking the whole little bundle through the full range of values.

The grass was a very dead colour that I didn’t have so I mixed it right on the paper graying it down between layers until I had the colour I desired. This is the advantage of working on a black background. I was able to ignore shape and just strive for a mass of colour then cut in shapes with an eraser and black pencil.

Once the negative shapes where cut out only a slight amount of shading was required before highlites were added to finish off the grass. The bamboo behind the grass was harder to do as it needed to be extremely dark but still have a little detail. These to me are the more difficult areas as I really have to estimate the value correctly because once the dark background goes on it will stick out like a sore thumb if it doesn’t correspond correctly with the rest of the painting.

So I cut in all around with my background colour and VOILA…. We have a lid!!

Sit and Sip Time....

Cheers, Dianna

Last edited by ponting : 09-07-2005 at 06:03 PM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2005, 06:14 PM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States

Gawd- you are sooooooooo good, she said, unattractively gaping. Mistressful control, Dianna- amazing.

More popcorn coming up- and it has no calories 'cause it's virtual!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

Dianna...I am soooooo in awe! How on earth do you get that much detail in so small a drawing...yes I know it look big on screen...but I just printed out your drawing onto A4 paper....and there is no way my pencils would go so fine! That bamboo! I'm sitting here...gobsmacked, as we say!
If I were even to contemplate doing it I'd have to get a piece 2' x3'!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2005, 07:38 PM
A Local Legend
MidWest

Hails from United States

Dianna, thank you, I see now how you are doing it. It doesn't mean I understand. Unbelivable! Not only you have to have a good eye you have to have good fingers to be so precise! I see now that you work one section at a time. I wonder what do you do to protect it from smudging as you move from section to section? Olga
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Lord of the Arts
Rochester, NY, USA

Hails from United States

I can't believe this thread has been sitting here for FIVE HOURS and I just saw it!

Okay, now that I've exclaimed--sorry, that party in the other thread has me all wound up--I'm going to go back and read it...and print it out...and study it...possibly salivate...

Thanks, Dianna!

KimDenise.com
photography
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2005, 09:13 PM

Hails from United States

phenomenal, Di...as always!!!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

I just joined WC, and I'm very interested to see how this progresses. Dianna, how do you get those rich darks? What colors and brands do you use for your darks? Do you ever work on black or very dark paper, or do you achieve your darks just with the pastels?

Thanks!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2005, 10:31 PM

Hails from Canada

Gee I see I somehow lost a post a couple of hours ago......
....it's out there somewhere ..... twightlight zone theme

Lets see if I can remember what it said......

Julie.....thanks for the virtual popcorn....it's the only kind my body can afford right now!! You almost got me with Mistressfully....I started to run for my Funk & Wagnalls until I noticed it was a curve ball.

Deirdre if my long but chubby fingers can do it I'm sure you won't have a problem.

Now what I really want is for someone to tell me where 'gob smacking good' originated or don't I???

Olga, I am right handed and work from the top left corner across the sheet to the bottom right so I don't have a problem with smudging. If I want to go back and work in the middle I use a mahl stick to keep my hand off the paper or I lay down a sheet of clean white paper over the pastel and lay my hand on it. Works good as long as you don't slide it when you take it off.

Kim ....you snooze you lose.....those party animals are a bad influence on all of us.

Preston....You are always so wonderfully succinct in you praise......thanks so much

J.A. Welcome to WC .......I am so impressed that I am the recipient of your first posting!!

Yes, I occasionally work on black paper and dark tones of Art Spectrum also but lately have been very hung up on this La Carte. I use various dark pastels as well as black. I have sets of Terry Ludwig darks that are to die for as well as Unison and Sennelier. Other dark colours such a Schminche, I collect as I need them.

Cheers and thanks guys....Dianna

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Western Australia

Hails from Australia

Now I know why everybody has been waiting with baited breath for a WIP from you on still life.
And really giving the tiny steps - THANKYOU.
I am quite large - so I have used my considerable weight and have jockeyed a position on the front row. ............... move over .................. OK ........... all set. ( I hear grumbles at being pushed out the way). Popcorn and wine in hand ........
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, I'll be watching this one carefully too

www.honeywoodstudio.com
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2005, 11:05 PM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARA
Now I know why everybody has been waiting with baited breath for a WIP from you on still life.
And really giving the tiny steps - THANKYOU.
I am quite large - so I have used my considerable weight and have jockeyed a position on the front row. ............... move over .................. OK ........... all set. ( I hear grumbles at being pushed out the way). Popcorn and wine in hand ........

HEY!!

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Enthusiast
NM

Hails from United States

Oh my goodness, just what I needed, a wip from Dianna. I called my daughter and she is going to join WC just so she can see this wip. Truly inspiring. It was very helpful seeing how you did the negative space around the grass to bring it to form. Thanks for doing this, almost as good as a workshop, but I am going to catch up with you in the US at some point. lol

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2005, 01:05 AM
Immortalized
Arizona

Hails from United States

OK SMARA, just don't knock me off the arm here where I found a perch (let's me run between theater screens) and don't knock over the kalua and coffee. I'll share.
Dianna, this is terrific to see this in such small steps. I won't paint along just now, but I sure will be saving this and painting later, so much to learn from this. First thing is to find a place I can achieve that kind of lighting on a set up.
What size are you doing this in, I must have missed that somewhere.
Love this and love watching it develop. Could this be done on a black support and use black and other dark colors to make the drapery with the design, but let some of the black paper through as well?
TJ

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2005, 01:15 AM
Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponting

J.A. Welcome to WC .......I am so impressed that I am the recipient of your first posting!!

Yes, I occasionally work on black paper and dark tones of Art Spectrum also but lately have been very hung up on this La Carte. I use various dark pastels as well as black. I have sets of Terry Ludwig darks that are to die for as well as Unison and Sennelier. Other dark colours such a Schminche, I collect as I need them.

I've been admiring your work while I've been lurking the past few weeks and have been dying to learn more about your methods. Do you ever work light colors over very dark (like you can in oil or acrylic painting) or do you keep all the layers of color consistent (dark all the way through, with no lights layered on top)? Does this make sense? I'm not sure I'm making myself clear. Basically, my darks sometimes get chalky (they loose their dark intensity--they get washed out) and I'm not sure if that is from contamination by other colors, or that is the way those particular pastels/colors are, or what.

Thanks again for the demo!
Jaime

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2005, 01:40 AM

Hails from Canada

Hello Alleta and thanks for stopping by. It's so nice to see someone new here. Watch out 'cause it tends to get a little crazy on my threads…Julie’s are worse. I don't know but I seem to bring out the worst or is it the best in some (not naming Julie here) people. Anyway, I hear those Aussie wines are really something so you'll be more than welcome here!!

Nic is bringing the cow.....we're gonna have a Bar-B-Q!! It's a tough old Holstein but we'll make do. Hi Nic .....can I call you Nic?

Well Katy we almost got that workshop back on track....Oh well.....hopefully this will stand in its stead......is Dixie here yet.......Y'all out there Dixie?? Oh yah...she's from the north....it's Katy that'll be writing with a drawl.

.....along with TJ ...Y'all can do this any ole way you want to honey I'm going with black for three reasons. The first being that I have black fabric... The second is that I love red, black and white combos and the third is for ease......I've found that a soft Pitt charcoal pencil perfectly matches an SMI stick and makes for great ease in doing the detailed work with a smooth transition between the two. Right now I have the pencil on the edges and everything else will be SMI...the ONLY SMI stick that I use by the way.

I've done several oriental fabrics....the "Mandarin" being one of them. That is actually done on very deep blue though the web shows it as black. It was done the opposite of this piece. The blue was applied first everywhere but under the orange. Then I sprayed it and worked fabric design threads on top. The orange was worked in last. That would be one of the few instances that I would use a fixative and only in the initial stages.

This piece will be about 9 by 12 or slightly larger. I always do a lot of extra background and play with the cropping later.

Y’all come back now y’hear? Dianna

Last edited by ponting : 09-08-2005 at 01:59 AM.