WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2005, 11:24 PM
Immortalized
in a cozy house next to a lovely forest

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Show us your self portrait!

Have you done one?

Then show it here!
Even if you've already posted it in the forum, it would be great to have a collection of member self portraits all in one thread.

If you've done more than one, feel free to post them all!

If you haven't done one, what are you waiting for?
We'd love to see it, so please get started!

I'll post mine as soon as I can locate it.

Can't wait to see yours!

This thread was inspired by LaceyLew - thanks, Lacey.

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2005, 12:31 AM

Hails from United States
Re: Show us your self portrait!

This is the self portrait I did a few days ago for my avatar. I am just now getting back in the swing of drawing and you guys give so much encouragement and so many helpful ideas that I couldn't possibly pass up the opportunity to be a part of this community. Thank you.
I posted before with the username "Darkwave." But after we had an Earthquake earlier this week followed by a tsunami warning, it made me think of what happened last december and I would never want anyone to connect my name with that tragedy even sub-consciously. "Cherico" is my last name.
I really envy those of you that have mastered color. I have my first set of portrait soft pastels coming in the mail soon and I am absolutely giddy . Needless to say, I will be studying you guys closely and taking notes.

I'm happy to be here!

Jules
Attached Images

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2005, 12:37 AM

Hails from United States

Now that I look closer at my self portrait I see that I should have emphasized the highlights more. I definitely need to work on my values.
Jules
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2005, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
The Great Plains of Colorado

Hails from United States

I never thought my self portrait would ever see the light of day. This a good time and place to show it.

This is a graphite drawing, 8"x11", mostly mechanical pencil with 2H lead. It was done in 1989 when I was taking a class at UNC. The kids were all out of the house and I drew this to show an emergence of myself out of the roll of mother and housewife. There are many hours in this drawing.

To visit FortMeyerEditions.com

Lost is our heritage but for our vision.

This artwork is protected by copyright. Any reproduction, modification, publication, transmission, transfer, or exploitation of any of the Content or Service, whether in whole or in part, without the express written permission of Judith Angell Meyer is prohibited. All rights reserved. Thank you.©
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2005, 02:19 AM
A Local Legend
Tupelo, Mississippi

Hails from United States

Cool thread. I've done two as of lately. One without hair and one with. (ha) I've been thinking about painting one soon. If I get brave enough to start it.
Anyway, here's a couple.

Peace,
AL
Attached Images

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

AL ... still laughing! I don't know which portrait I like the best! Super pencil work! Great stuff, thanks for sharing your personality with us!

This artwork is protected by copyright. Any reproduction, modification, publication, transmission, transfer, or exploitation of any of the Content or Service, whether in whole or in part, without the express written permission of Judith Angell Meyer is prohibited. All rights reserved. Thank you.©
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2005, 12:51 PM
Enthusiast
Santa Barbara Ca

Hails from United States

Wow Al!!
That second piece is special definitely a crack up. Your work can be quite diverse.

I’ve tried twice in 30 years. 14x18 charcoal (1982). The second one same size, a couple of months ago, oil on canvas using a limited palette of cadmium red, titanium white and lamp black. At least I found someone to hold still long enough to paint.

Jerome
Attached Images

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Charlottesville, VA

Hails from United States

Ah, sounds like fun. Sorry if anybody has a slow computer

And these are just the ones since I got to college!

Last edited by Yorky : 01-22-2006 at 12:32 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Immortalized
in a cozy house next to a lovely forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherico
I am just now getting back in the swing of drawing and you guys give so much encouragement and so many helpful ideas that I couldn't possibly pass up the opportunity to be a part of this community. Thank you.
Jules

Jules, it is wonderful to hear you say this, because that is our goal here in this forum. Your portrait is wonderful! I hope you enjoy your new pastels!

Judy, I love your drawing. It tells a story, and it is so beautifully rendered. I am so glad you shared it here.

Al, I've seen the one on the right before (and I still get a huge kick out of it!), but the other one is new to me. I think these portraits are very revealing.

Jerome, great stuff! Thanks for sharing both of these. It's fun to see the two of them side by side. I am amazed at what you can produce with just those three colors.

Ricky, I love them all!

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2005, 04:13 AM
A WC! Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Oh Wow, what a wonderful new thread. You have such wonderful ideas Eileen

JULES -- It is great to see you posting here. I love your Portrait, and I will be very interested to hear how you like your new Portrait Pastels. I have just started painting in pastels myself, but haven't got the Portrait Set as yet -- on the "save the money" list. I have enjoyed what I have done so far -- only Landscapes as yet. I hope we will see a lot more Portraits from you.

JUDY -- What a beautiful Portrait, done in a way that tells a real story.

AL -- Well, you just crack me up Both Portraits have been done in your usual awesome drawing style, but the second one is just fantastic. What would we do without you

RICKY -- I like them all. You are a very good Portraitist.

JEROME -- Great Portraits. Wow, that second one is so fantastically rendered -- you are a wonderful Portrait Artist, so please keep posting

Val.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2005, 08:20 PM

Hails from United States

Judy- Although I love my children more than anything, I do look forward to that Rite of Passage that you are speaking of. I love your portrait and gallery.
Al- My house looks like a World Market store exploded in it. I love your tribal style. You are my favorite artist to watch.
Jerome- I hope to master oils one day. My painting book recommends starting with a restricted palette of 18 hues. Your painting is better than any example in this book and you used only 3. This is fantastic.
Ricky- These are all great. I love the third one. We have family in Austin and are giving serious thought to settling down there.
Eileen- I am waiting for the mail like a little kid waiting to open presents…as if I'm going to know what to do with them when they get here. I plan to use books, magazines, all of the lessons and comments on this site, and a lot of trial and error to learn by. All I have to use for fixative is a can of V05 hairspray until I can get out in town. I only buy my art supplies from the finest drug stores.
Val- I'm afraid that I still lack the perspective required for landscapes. The only book that I have on perspective was written by the creator of Marvel Comics, Stan Lee. I don't suppose he will be teaching me how to draw the countryside. Thank you so much for your comment.

Jules
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2005, 03:50 AM
Boston, Mass.

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: Show us your self portrait!

I enjoy the portraits here very much. Rcola, you have great talent!! Cherico, your self-portrait captures your creative spirit.

I am a new member to this forum and the work I've seen so far is outstanding. It makes me want to take another stab at a self-portrait. The last time I painted one was so many years ago.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2005, 12:47 PM
A WC! Legend
Montana

Hails from United States

terrific work!! I love all the different styles!
Eileen...I KNOW you have one or two selfs.....come on & share!!

~Be COURAGEOUS, It's one of the few places left still uncrowded~

~Life is not measured by it's length BUT by it's depth~
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2005, 07:33 PM

Hails from Abu Dhabi

There are some lovely portraits here. I am a bit embarrassed to post mine, but I am a beginner in drawing. This is me when I was 21 - it was a long, long, time ago, but it seems like only yesterday.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlersmother
There are some lovely portraits here. I am a bit embarrassed to post mine, but I am a beginner in drawing. This is me when I was 21 - it was a long, long, time ago, but it seems like only yesterday.
You don't have anything to be embarrassed about. I don't recall that any portraits I did when I was 21 ... a very long, long, time ago ... that I did any better. Are you going to give a new one a try? We'd love to see it and how you have progressed. Thank you for showing us your drawing.